Is it doable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it doable?

Ok, I need to do something and right now I kind of understand that addiction is a brain disease. For starters, I am an alcoholic. A binge drinker who is not above turning to the rubbing alcohol. Prior to this for the first 35 years of my life, I was a compulsive overeater, then, I had weight loss surgery. Within two years later, I was drinking a bottle a day. Then, I developed arthritis and was put on Tylenol 3's. I was fine for over a year, then felt a click. Since then (apx. 3 years), I have been drinking, using T3, Percocet or kratom (a herb that gives an opiate like feel). I am so far only physically addicted to T3. I don't believe I have a physical addiction to alcohol even though it sometimes feel like it. I have read that addiction is a brain disease and a disease of compulsion. I know that I dont really feel any pleasure or happiness when I use narcotics or alcohol. This morning (as every morning), I woke up wanting to do something. I have a little more anxiety lately due to problems on my job and my husband's affair, but trying norton use excuses. I researched via the Internet how to beat a craving. I only had 12 Percs. I don't feel high from them. I don't understand why I am drawn to them. I read that alcohol and those types of meds set off a reward system in your brain which I guess I kind of understand. I gave in to the craving and although i did not feel high nor didn't relieve any type of physical distress (only mental in relieving the craving), I felt better. I have six left. I have kratom coming tomorrow and wondering if I should take some AB. I have drank maybe ten times since June. I have prayed. I need to beat this and unfortunately I need to do it alone! I cannot reach out for professional help or it is my job. I don't want to lose everything I worked for. Is it doable? My mother stopped drinking on her own, but pills killed her. My problem is I want to dabble instead of stopping all. Is it doable? I know people on their own quit alcohol and drugs. How do I do. It? Do I need meds?

Is it doable?

IT is DOABLE.....and I think you should get help, if you can.....
    I am a gastric bypass person as well, and that's when AL but me in the ass
    40% of us become alkies
    If I had known that I may bot have had the surgery
    good luck sweetie......I am afraid I am not much help
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Is it doable?

It is in fact "doable" with or without the aid of meds.

There are plenty of success stories on here using both ways, and plenty of support and advice to go around.

Ultimately that choice, and the choice to stop or moderate your drinking will be up to you. I can tell you that it wont be easy, but it will get easier the longer you manage to fight off the urges.

It will also be VERY worth the effort

Wishing you strength to help you reach your goals
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Is it doable?

Dear Xwino

You have a lot going on. There are things going on outside of your control (husband having an affair)
        That drinking and rx meds won't change. I don't want to sidetrack you from your question but I think you need to clear your head from substances for a bit and ask yourself what happened and what do you want to happen next. Do you want to keep your marriage? Move on? What does your best world look like? You need hope and a plan from there a good dr can help you formulate a plan to get there and any medical support you may need. Best, raven

Comment

Is it doable?

Dear Xwino,
          Yes, you certainly do have a LOT going on! Is it the alcohol that is causing you the most problems? On the one hand, the fact that you have only drunk alcohol ten times since June is better than most active alcoholics can do. (Maybe I'm wrong on that, I was a daily drinker) And at the same time you have mentioned not being above going for the rubbing alcohol. That's pretty hardcore. You also say that you feel no pleasure or happiness when you drink. For me, when I drink alcohol, from the first sip, it is like Popeye downing his spinach. I feel it through my whole body and all is right with the world. Even when it no longer gave pleasure, it at least relieved the terrible shakes and withdrawals. That doesn't seem to be happening with you.

I, fortunately or unfortunately, have no experience with pills (or pot). It just never had the same allure for me as alcohol . Maybe you could start by eliminating one or the other, which ever is causing you the most problems, since you don't seem ready to give up everything at this point. Then you can better see where you want to go from there. By the way, I hear that alcohol and tylenol together is really hard on your liver. Milk thistle is supposed to help.

And you don't have to go it alone. If you can't get professional help, at least we're here for you. I'm sure there are many, many people here, with more experience than me that will be willing to share what has worked for them and give you encouragement, help and support. There are many approaches and strategies offered by the people here. There are many different meds and supplements that help with cravings.

Welcome and I hope someone here can share something with you that will help. Spend some time reading the various threads, you'll learn a lot and get to know the people here. Hoping you soon get some relief. Warmest wishes.
          AF since 12/2/12
          http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Is it doable?

you can do it, im a few months sober and a bit crazy but clean!

Comment

Is it doable?

It's "doable", everything is doable if you focus on what you want and work daily to acheive it. I am about 700 days since my last drink and 836 days since I decided to quit for good on my own. I have also lost over 80 lbs on my own early in my life, and I am in better shape now than I have been in over 20 years. For it to be doable you have to decide to do it...that's the hard part, and if you want to dabble you probably won't be successful right away.

Comment

Is it doable?

This is the umpteenth time I have heard of weight loss surgery leading to addictive substitution.
                Is there any way to go back to the doctors that performed the surgery and join a counseling program.
                The compulsive eating has simply been replaced and will go on being replaced unless you find the root cause of what you are trying to bury.
                In your case stopping the alcohol should not be too hard as you don't yet seem to drink a lot.

KY

Comment

Is it doable?

I havent heard "umpteenth" in many a year, gave me a wee smile, thanks

Comment

Is it doable?

XWino - just wanted to offer a possible answer to something in your post. You pondered why you want to use the drugs when it doesn't even make you feel high. I think that is a really, really good question.

There is a concept in the progression of addiction called "using to feel normal." It is a point we reach with our substances where the "high" we used to feel is either 1) not possible any more due to tolerance becoming so high or 2) not even really the point of use any more. Our brains adapt to the toxic substances we continue to use to the point where the "new normal" includes the influence of the substances.

That is my feeble attempt to describe in brief a subject that is really very complex. But it helped me to have that basic understanding of what was going on in my brain that made me crave alcohol long after it stopped being "fun."

So...I throw that out there for whatever it's worth.

Now for the hard part - taking the drugs and alcohol away, and allowing your brain and body to go through the process of establishing a "new normal" that does not include the substances. That is not easy.

Not sure how far down the path you have gone with the opiates, and I don't have first hand experience with those. I do know people who were not able to successfully stop opiate pain pills until they pursued interventions such as Suboxone to help.

I understand that feeling of not wanting help - wanting to do it "on my own" due to job concerns, pride concerns, etc. The bottom line is that these substances are deadly. At some point, if doing it on your own isn't working, then the choices can be life and death serious. I hope you always choose life.

Good luck,

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Is it doable?

I believe you can find a solution to your problem, but you will need help including medical guidance. I'm not sure this site is the best place to obtain online support, since it is dedicated to alcohol abuse. You are welcome to post here, though.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                      X