Half a bottle of wine a night, 15 years off your life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From The Times today (it's behind a paywall) NHS is paying a high price for baby-boomers’ drinking habits | The Times :

Middle-aged drinkers cost the NHS more than ten times as much as younger ?binge? drinkers, according to Alcohol Concern.

Long-term, heavy drinking among the baby-boom generation is putting a far bigger burden on the health service than the Saturday night blow-outs of their children, its calculations suggest.

Treatment for conditions such as liver disease and alcohol-related heart disease and cancers cost three times as much as drink-fuelled admissions to casualty departments, it says.

Alcohol-related inpatient admissions among 55 to 74-year-olds cost the NHS ?825.6 million last year, the charity calculated using official hospital statistics. Among 16 to 24-year-olds the figure was ?63.8 million.

The cost was driven by eight times as many admissions in the older group (454,317) as in the younger (54,682).

Mark Bellis, alcohol spokesman for the Faculty of Public Health, said: ?People often think something like half a bottle of wine a night is a safe level of drinking and don?t really recognise they?re increasing their risk of more than 40 health conditions. If you?re drinking half a bottle of wine a night then your chances of dying of an alcohol-related disease, injury or violence are one in 25.?

Such levels of drinking ?can routinely take 15 years off your life?, he said. ?If you?re drinking half a bottle of wine at the moment, then if you can cut that to a glass then you?re reducing your risks over ten or 20 years of a whole range of long-term health conditions.

?And if you can?t reduce to that, then it opens up a question about your relationship with alcohol.?

Eric Appleby, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, said: ?It is the common perception that young people are responsible for the increasing cost of alcohol misuse but our findings show that in reality this is not the case.

?It is the middle-aged, and often middle-class drinker, regularly drinking above recommended limits, who are actually requiring complex and expensive NHS care. There needs to be more investment in local alcohol care pathways and services by local authorities for this group, to prevent them from ending up as an inpatient.?

Inpatient admissions related to alcohol among all ages cost ?1,993.57 million, compared with ?636.30 million for A&E treatment for drink-related accidents, the charity found.

Hospitals calculate the proportion of admissions for diseases often related to alcohol consumption that can be attributed to the patient?s drinking. The cost of admissions ?partly attributable? to alcohol was ?1,545.46 million, more than three times the cost of conditions such as alcoholic liver disease that are ?wholly attributable? to alcohol, at ?448.11 million.

Professor Bellis said: ?We forget that the majority of people admitted to hospital with alcohol-related conditions are from long-term, chronic drinking, often at levels people think are safe.?

They realise the harm only when they have to see someone because of a problem. That takes time and that?s why this older age group has a bigger impact on the health service, he said.

The middle-aged had a ?false sense of security? because they were not binge-drinking at the weekend, even though their total weekly consumption could be higher.

Sir Ian Gilmore, President of the British Gastroenterology Society and former President of the Royal College of Physicians, said: ?It is the unwitting chronic middle-aged drinkers who are taking serious risks with their health. They present in hospital with conditions attributable to their alcohol consumption such as stroke and cancer. People simply do not realise that chronic drinking significantly increases their chances of suffering health problems.?
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

So true.
    I am a baby boomer and if I had not got sober I would be dead

Thanks for this post

Comment

Thank you Marshy so much for posting this article. It is very well written and thought provoking. Wish I could reprint here in the USA.

:l
      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I'm not a baby boomer, by a good 2 to 3 decades, but this is a good reminder to me of what i was heading for... Thanks Marshy

Comment

Thanks so much Marshy for posting this. And hello there from Kaslo. I have been saying this for a year and a half on this site. Last time I posted it was to try to help Tipplerette quit, and cited some of these facts. I was attacked by a small horde of modders on a subsequent thread, and my words twisted about. I havent posted back since.

I was a half a bottle a night to every second nite kind of drinker, and I knew my health was failing. I know for a fact that if you lie to yourself and call it two (large) glasses of wine, its the same as what some doctors recommend as wine intake. That is rubbish! Most of us will never be able to drink really small amounts of wine every day. So its all a croc of crap!

Thank goodness i managed to quit in time. This is just one more bit of proof.

Kas
          Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

I couldnt ever drink in moderation, i drank till i fell on my arse, id be dead meat if i hadnt got my shit together

Comment

Kaslo;1391464 wrote: Thanks so much Marshy for posting this. And hello there from Kaslo. I have been saying this for a year and a half on this site. Last time I posted it was to try to help Tipplerette quit, and cited some of these facts. I was attacked by a small horde of modders on a subsequent thread, and my words twisted about. I havent posted back since.

I was a half a bottle a night to every second nite kind of drinker, and I knew my health was failing. I know for a fact that if you lie to yourself and call it two (large) glasses of wine, its the same as what some doctors recommend as wine intake. That is rubbish! Most of us will never be able to drink really small amounts of wine every day. So its all a croc of crap!

Thank goodness i managed to quit in time. This is just one more bit of proof.

Kas
              Hate this silly saying *Modders* These are just drinkers in my eyes nothing more. Do not recognise this practice as nothing else.
              Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Marshy, thanks for posting that.
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Marshy!!! Good to see you and good to know you survived Olympics! Is life back to normal?

Thanks for sharing that info. I got an article about that in my inbox today and I was wondering if there are simlar statistics in the US. I'm thinking probably so.

There is definitely a perception that 1/2 bottle of wine a night is fine. More evidence that it's not!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1391639 wrote: Marshy!!! Good to see you and good to know you survived Olympics! Is life back to normal?
                    Life is pretty much back to normal after a topsy-turvy summer! Might have time to check in here a bit more often now. Good to see you too

Kas (hi!), I remembered that post by Tipplerette when I posted this. I think a lot of people who would never consider they have a problem with alcohol drink at least half a bottle a night (lots of people I know get home from work and share a bottle - and sometimes move onto a second bottle - with their partners over the course of the evening).

I really, really don't want to fuel a mod vs ab debate but I don't think this article does. Half a bottle of wine a night is not moderation under any official guidelines I've seen, simple as that. It might well be harm reduction for some who were previously drinking more than that but it ain't moderation.
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

199days;1391548 wrote: Hate this silly saying *Modders* These are just drinkers in my eyes nothing more. Do not recognise this practice as nothing else.
                      199days perhaps you could have a read around and see how much trouble divisive comments are causing the boards lately, it does no one any good when this board becomes divided and it hurts everyone. can we please stop letting our personal opinions ruin the peace and quiet here?

Marshy;1391725 wrote:

I really, really don't want to fuel a mod vs ab debate but I don't think this article does. Half a bottle of wine a night is not moderation under any official guidelines I've seen, simple as that. It might well be harm reduction for some who were previously drinking more than that but it ain't moderation.
                      Thank you marshy and you are absolutely right. Moderation is drinking within the guidelines which 1/2 a bottle of wine a day does not meet, however it does fall under harm reduction if a person was drinking more and had tapered down, although you would also hope that a person practicing harm reduction would progress much further over time as they learn new skills to continue to reduce this amount so I appreciate you clarifying this :thumbs:

Comment

Marshy - did you plant a bug in my house? Hubby and I were just talking about the "half" a bottle BS (that's how I view it, anyway.) He thinks it's perfectly acceptable to slug down that much and maybe even a beer or two in the course of a long Friday night.

Back in the dark, wasted days, that wasn't even acceptable to me. I needed a whole bottle - the BIG one. And sometimes a six pack or two to get me through the night. So damn glad I'm free of needing - or even wanting - that poison in my life.

Article copied, pasted and ready to email. Tip of the Hat, Marshy!
                        Sober for the Revolution!
                        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Many thanks for posting this Marshy - I am sure you had the best intentions in doing so.

However it is such a shame to see that it has been highjacked and turned against those who wish to moderate as oposed to abstain from alcohol completely. Do the abstainers really believe that the modders are so stupid to believe that drinking 1/2 a bottle of wine (or its eqivalent) a day long term is not detrimental to their health?

Can't we all get back to the 'grass roots' of MWO and be supportive of each other in our own individual journeys, wherever they may take us.

This continual snipping - which appears to me to be very one sided - is potentially driving people away who need HELP and SUPPORT here....
                          If you think you're free, there's no escape possible. ~Ram Dass

Comment

Chaaku 1;1391803 wrote: Many thanks for posting this Marshy - I am sure you had the best intentions in doing so.

However it is such a shame to see that it has been hijacked and turned against those who wish to moderate as opposed to abstain from alcohol completely. Do the abstainers really believe that the modders are so stupid to believe that drinking 1/2 a bottle of wine (or its equivalent) a day long term is not detrimental to their health?

Can't we all get back to the 'grass roots' of MWO and be supportive of each other in our own individual journeys, wherever they may take us.This continual snipping - which appears to me to be very one sided - is potentially driving people away who need HELP and SUPPORT here....
                            Reggie;1391810 wrote:
                            Hear hear of people chose their way allow others to choose theirs the spirit of this place my way out is a individual choice . Sick of this only one way sniping ease up on you are right in your own mind allow others the freedom to choose their way
                            . This I know what's right for newbies is a little bit fascist . Freedom to choose needs to be encourage that's when real learning occurs .. I don't shake. My fist at my daughter I encourage her to think and choose . That's how real decisions stick .
                            Good post marshy and good to hear from you, Its up to each individual themselves what way they want to go, For me I tried & tried the moderating route more in hope I could keep drinking than in any thing else, anyway I failed, that's me, Everyone else to there own way out. Peace & love to all

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Marshy;1391725 wrote: Life is pretty much back to normal after a topsy-turvy summer! Might have time to check in here a bit more often now. Good to see you too
                              I want to hear some stories about what London was like during all the madness!

Half a bottle of wine a night is not moderation under any official guidelines I've seen, simple as that. It might well be harm reduction for some who were previously drinking more than that but it ain't moderation.
                              I think you make a good point. There are guidelines set out by various organizations establishing what the current beliefs are about safe levels of drinking - based on science (as imperfect as that can be) v. emotion and opinion. I think a good place for someone to start who might be evaluating whether they think they have a drinking problem might be to take a look at what various organizations are currently saying about safe levels of drinking. Then take a look at the gap, and think about some goals.

I tend to be an "all or nothing" thinker and my drinking (and I suppose my abstinence too) is a reflection of that. There was nothing "moderate" about my drinking and I tried and tried and tried to cut down but just couldn't do it. So really, abstinence was the EASIEST option for me. (but not the ONLY option - I could have continued to try moderation) It's a personal choice each of us have to make in our own way and in our own time, IMO.

There is absolutely no doubt that harm reduction strategies work - and some research shows they work substantially more effectively than the "war on drugs" philosophy that has driven public policy and also addiction treatment in the US.

There is also that pesky concept of "readiness to change" which is (thankfully) now a part of most assessments for treatment recommendations. It is fact that people will only change if they are motivated and ready to do so. Accusing people of being in denial (as one example) is simply not proven to be effective in motivating change. There are ways to help people explore the possible benefits of change that are proven to be very effective. (if anyone is interested, "Motivational Interviewing" offers up some good info on this)

All of this study leads me to believe that for people with unhealthy drinking patterns, far better outcomes are achieved by working with those people on what they are currently WILLING to change than trying to pound them over the head pushing changes they are not yet ready to make.

REASEARCH SUPPORTS THIS.

Wow. That was sort of a sandwich ramble. A long way of saying that 1) I agree that "harm reduction" does NOT necessarily equal "safe moderate drinking levels." It is also my long way of saying that "harm reduction" is better than "no change" for a problem drinker, in my opinion.

I cannot afford to get on my high horse about this stuff. I spent YEARS telling myself each and every day that I would not drink, drink less, etc. - only to fail and fail some more. I look back and CLEARLY know that safe, moderate drinking was not possible for me. But it took me YEARS to figure that out. WAY before I came here. One of the reasons I engaged with MWO rather than the myriad of other forums I looked at was that MWO offers a moderation option. I was still holding out hope.

Had I not engaged with the forum, I might be dead now. While I hope to help others look at factual information that might help guide their goal making with respect to drinking, I hope to not pound people over the head with the notion that everyone needs to do it my way.

Truth is, some people CAN and DO successfully cut back on drinking. Either to levels currently recognized as safe, or to levels that reduce the risk alcohol represents in their lives. And other people stop completely. All of those outcomes represent positive change.

OK - go get that sandwich!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X