Mt. St. Helen's...Bit of a Metaphor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my twins looking down on the gigantic swath cut through the valley floor by millions of tons of mud and rock. St. Helen's is in the background. You can still collect ash there today!

A close up of the blown off crater. You can hike up to the summit but remember, it's still active!

A close up of the huge crevases carved down the side of the mountain.

I know these pics are large because I haven't figued out how to scale them down yet but thought you all might enjoy them. The mountain is about 2 hours from me and I went there last weekend with the kids.
    Despite St. Helen's claiming the lives of 57 people that day in 1980, I still found it was still a moving and magnificent experience.
    I thought alot about the indescible power and destruction of that mountain and yet how gorgous and mesmerizing she is today.

Reminded me of all our journies here at MWO.. Please enjoy!

:l
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Wow !!! Truly amazing and very touching xxx
    Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Wow, that is amazing...and it HAS been quite a journey. Thank you for posting....that is magnificient!
      The back of your twin's head is adorable!! I bet the front is, too! Hugs...B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

very nice pics Kradlle..thanks for posting them
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Thanks Kradle.

Love the pics.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Great pics Kradle thanks for posting.

Comment

really gorgeous photos Kradle, thanks for sharing them
              nurdl
              :notes:
              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

I can relate to your metaphor ~ analogy. Part of my carving away on this journey, tho much has been painful, has arisen a new life. Filled with beauty that far out weighs the losses. Much like the richness in the volcanic ash, which has brought new life to Mt St Helens.

I'm grateful!....

My FIL, had a hand in building The Johnston Ridge Observatory Center back in the early nineties. I may have my dates mixed up. We traveled there years back. It's beautiful!...

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pics Kradle. :l

Comment

very nice pics!!!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Beautiful pictures!! Thanks for sharing, Kradle.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hi Kradle. Thanks for posting the pics. That's about the least amount of snow I've ever seen on Mt. St. Helen's. I remember taking the ferry from Seattle and seeing Mt. St. Helen's on one side and can't think of the name of the other one on the other side and the sun setting on Seattle. It was a beautiful sight.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I'm So Glad you guys are liking the pics especially our Brethern from 'across the pond'

WF- That is really karmic about your FIL because we had been up at the Observatory tottling around, gathering ash, kids running all over the place... and I walk into the actual building section and ask the guy how much to tour inside the exhibit and he looks at me and my chldren and says, 'It's 8 dollars per person inside (and then he looks at me very closely) ... and out...' Oops!! And here I am thinking how nice these guys are to be giving an outside lecture for free!! Well, not having the 40 plus dollars to spend after the weekend, we all casually wandered away, la la la!! :H

And SK I think the mountain you mean is Mt Hood. The guide guy even said that this was one of the most spectacular days he had seen on the montain in years. It felt good!

:l
                        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

so pretty...thanks!
                          I have a glass ornament made from Mt St Helen's ash...
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                          X