Prescription Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescription Glasses

I was watching a news show the other night where the topic was prescription glasses. It seems as if Lux Eyewear has a monopoly on Eyemasters, Lenscrafter, Wal-Mart, Target, Cosco and just about everywhere etc. The average cost of prescription glasses starts at over $200.00.

Several years ago a friend of mine recommended a website called $39.00Glasses.com. I was skeptical but I lose glasses, sit on them, etc. so I decided to buy a spare pair from them. I was so pleased I order all glasses from them now and have been for about 5 years.

They do single focal, double, sunglasses, designer frames, etc. Of course the price goes up depending on your taste. You will need your full prescription, inlcuding the PD measurement (see instructions). I ordered another pair tonight and got another 15% off - PROMO CODE 11 YEARS. They deliver within a few days. Whatever your choice I think it's a moneysaver and I hate monopolies that take advantage.
    Enlightened by MWO

Prescription Glasses

SK....you are a lifesaver. I saw the same show and was livid. And, of course, my insurance is with Luxotica. What a bunch of crooks!!
    Thanks sweetie!!!
    (I even went to Walmart this weekend and they don't accept my insurance......)
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Prescription Glasses

Thanks for the info.
      I went to a family reunion(not mine-ugh) & had allergies so I brought my glasses in case my contacts bothered me. Then came the circle of prayer in the field & my athletic bag (with my glasses in the bag) were moved. Got home, glass case was gone & the next couple of days I lost one of my contacts b/c of fall allergies. I had to wear a pair of old glasses. If you can only see what they look like.
      Thanks again.
      :notes:
      My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

Prescription Glasses

SK,

thank you very much for the info re the website. I, too, saw the tv show in which Luxottica's monopoly was discussed, and became infuriated...I had no idea WHY plain old NECESSARY glasses now cost an arm and a leg. Now I have a better idea and will go to great lengths to avoid supporting that business. FFP
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Prescription Glasses

Oye~
          just watched the segment & am disgusted. I was so enjoying my new Lenscrafters glasses while I wait for my new contacts. I went to one mall & noticed a difference in Lenscrafters. So next day we went to a different mall. Hubby said we should just go to Walmart. Purchased from Lenscrafter. Wish I had seen this earlier.

Luck has it...my frames were marked waaay down & I got 40% off both the frames & lenses.

Sticker shock: Why are glasses so expensive? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

thanks again. I'm sooo mad.
          :notes:
          My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

Prescription Glasses

There are some "orphan opticians" around, but this site is definitely worth supporting. Big pharma makes me just as mad. I just paid $50.00 for a tube of cream that would costs me $8.00 OTC in Canada!
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Prescription Glasses

I'm sorry I missed this segment Skendall & was unaware of another big monopoly taking place. Thank you for sharing this info. I remember when you shared some info with us about big pharma Co's in the past.

When summer rolls around next yr, I do need some new sunglasses. Mine are 6 yrs old, so I've added a note to my meds file.

I'm backing up my hard drive too. I have too many important things stored in the ole girl.

Comment

Prescription Glasses

I ordered mine last night and received an email this afternoon, they have shipped. I have a very simple prescription, but grateful we have these options.
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                X