Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol free holidays !!! any advice?

Hiya all,

I'm about to embark on my first ever alcohol free holiday... that is, I don't want to drink at all during this 7 day break.

The last 50 odd days have been largely booze free for me but not 100% so I am still in the very early stages of being a non drinker.

This little holiday actually is a reward I booked for myself a while ago for making such huge inroads in my alcohol addiction so I don't want to blow it by drinking...!

I'm also going on holiday for the first time as a single Mum with a 7 yr old so that could be a challenge in itself .

I'd love any advice - what is the first Af holiday like when everyone else is having a drink round the pool?? I don't want to have that drink round the pool!!

:thanks:
    Patrice

Hi Patrice! Not sure if you are going on an island type vacation or cruise or what. Can you engage in whatever activities are offered that are different than what you would have done in the past while drinking? Can you play kids games with your 7 year old instead of sitting by the pool during "witching hour"? Stuff like that?

When I was early in sobriety I liked to WRITE DOWN my plan for staying sober when walking into tricky situations. If you think about it ahead of time, you can come up with strategies to stay AF. If you write more about what type of vacation venue this is, I'm sure you will get lots of ideas here!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Patrice,

As the mother of three children that are quite a bit older than 7, I would recommend concentrating your time and energy on the 7-year old and what is fun for them. As you probably know, they can have amazing fun that as adults we have long forgot. Take some moments and do just what your child wants to do and may be find your inner child as well. Sounds to me like a great trip and I would give anything to be in your shoes with that precious child at such an amazing age. Have a great time! And...just follow the lead of the 7-year old around the pool and drink what they do....(not the water though).

Comment

Oh thanks Doggy and Windy xxx

Yes I can have both me and 'child time' I think. I am writing my plan as I read
        Doggy, i'm going to Bali for the first time amd I'm Not going to that beach drinking area..
        Planned ahead and I'm, going to Ubud.. a coffee style place
        x

Comment

Thanks for this thread I am off on holiday on Sunday and was being quite complacent.

I need to make a plan for myself

Comment

a plan is good.....coz I blew it on my vacay in July....
            I didn't even think about drinking, but before I knew it....everyone was watching the sunset drinking beer....and so was I!!!!
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Patrice,
              I think having a written plan is a good idea. I just finished my first af vacation in a long time. Before leaving I posted here that I was looking forward to this additional time doing fun things and relaxing with my husband instead of drinking. I regarded it as guaranteed af time because there would be other plans in place. My husband had one glass of wine with dinner most nights. I had none, remembering how we used to have a bottle every evening on vacation, then didn't feel great the next day, then did the same thing again. I had so much more fun and energy during this af vacation. I highly recommend it to you and anyone else reading this thread.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Patrice, I recently holidayed in Greece. My husband likes a drink and I didn't feel it was fair to expect him not to. When we had a meal I was quite happy with juice or coke. I think if you are in the right frame of mind, which you appear to be, you will be fine. I do agree a written plan is a good idea, also having a child with you could possibly help. When we got back home I felt so good that I had managed so well. You will be fine, just go away and enjoy yourself, remain vigilant.

Comment

Let the sheep round the pool drink their drugs.

Remember they have to drink , you don't.

Sober is cool and rebellious , holidays without drinking a drug are amazing.

Brainwashing and conditioning is the only thing that makes you think you need a drink on holiday.

Enjoy the sober mornings and get some good sleep.
                  Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Hey thanks all,

A sober holiday sounds great... I've never ever had one. Loads of holidays pouring myself into bars and always missing those big brekkies in the morning because of feeling so shite
                    I've got a plan !!! and I'm just so keen to stay sober
                    x
                    Patrice

Comment

Working...
                    X