Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sober 7 days and going to New York City...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, like everyone else, I have quit more times than I can count. This last time, I had been drinking for about a year and the hangovers were worse and worse. I now see those as my way to hide out. My last drink was 1 week ago and I feel amazing and so grateful to be AF. My stomach is finally feeling normal. I'm leaving for a conference in NYC tomorrow and my sister and my grown daughter are coming along. They both drink wine and it was my drink of choice for the last dozen or so years. I've been visualizing myself at lunch or dinner saying, "I'll have a club soda with lime" and it feels good. In the past, the decision to pick up a bottle while walking through the grocery store was split second and once it was in my basket...there was no turning back. I'm nervous that my answer to the "what would you like to drink question" will backfire. I feel so strong right now and I feel so GOOD physically!!! I've been reading the toolbox stuff and it's awesome and I know it's keeping me straight in the head. I have not told my daughter or my sister that I have quit because they have heard it so many times before and then I have failed. Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks!
    sigpic

Hey Faithful. I've had a few occasions where i have been with family members (all of whom know i LOVE a drink).... ('a' drink???!!, I mean 'to' drink) and I've never said i quit, just that i'm not drinking for a bit.

My folks (not big drinkers) always expect me to have a few drinks when i visit them. At my last visit, I said i was taking a few weeks off from drinking, a detox, not wanting to drink just because it was expected, or because it was what everyone else was doing. They were a little surprised, but in the end very supportive and nothing more was said. There was no need to say "i quit" at this point. (anyway, i'm very early in to my AF days... I might consider saying "quit" after a year!)

At work, colleagues are a little more wary, but my advice is really do stick to your guns. you say "I feel so strong right now and i feel so GOOD physically!" Keep thinking that. For what it is worth, I do think the expectation that we have a drink at social occasions, or business conferences as a good thing is a bit of a misnomer. Is it really? I've been to a few social events sober and realised that either a) there's little or no need for booze to enjoy myself and b) when the social event has been a bit boring, or not to my preference, then I go simply leave. Before i would have stayed longer because booze would have made it bearable.

Be strong. Take one day at a time in NYC. Don't pile expectation on your self with your sis and daughter with saying you "quit", instead quietly just don't order the (AL) drink. If they ask, just say simply and straightforwardly that you do not want a drink tonight. Keep it low key.

Just my 2p worth

RC

Comment

Let them Drink, they need to, you dont.
      If its any consolation I visited NYC this year when I hit 6 months sober, It was my greatest break ever sober mornings . feeling great, walked for miles and visited trendy restaurants etc in Evening.

Was with Mrs(teetotal) and another couple who drink quite a lot, it was fun watching this other couple and their obsession with alcohol and seeing them wasted next morning unable to do anything till about 5pm, real great fun for them.

Sober is so cool, enjoy your break.
      Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Working...
      X