Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does drinking cause a problem – or do problems cause you to drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone - I'm new here (but have been lurking a while!) - I really want to start getting involved but have this burning question in my head: -

My husband (of 18 months ? but we?ve been together for almost 12 years) have reached crunch point. When we met, we were both married to others and had three young children each, but because of problems in respective marriages, were drawn to each other. At the point of meeting, I wasn?t a big drinker (and he never has been), but after years of ups and downs and him leaving his wife for me and going back to her, and then changing his mind and coming back to me, I gradually enjoyed the nulling effect of a bottle or two of wine in the eve which developed into a worrying habit.

We lived separately until 3 years ago, me with my three kids and he with his eldest son (his two youngest sons lived with his wife and just visited at weekends.) In the early years of our relationship, his kids loved coming to stay with us ? we kitted out the bedrooms with bunk beds to make sure there was room for everyone (even though this compromised my children).

The first major problem came when we decided to get married. I sold my house and I and my three teenagers moved in with him, so we could put his house on the market and buy a home together. His son (who was 22 at the time) went from being fun and friendly (as he was in our house) to completely cold and non-responsive. He refused to speak to me and my kids; was happy to eat the food I cooked but otherwise acted as if I didn?t exist.

I pointed out to my husband that there was a problem and that I thought his son was being quite rude, but he merely said that it was difficult and blamed me for not being as friendly to him as I could be. I swallowed my tongue.

For years my husband spent two eves a week with his son at martial arts classes together (which I thoroughly encouraged as quality time for them together) and on the weekends when his younger sons came to stay, I tried to make myself busy so that he and his boys could get on and do things together (his children had very different tastes from my children, so whilst we would occasionally do ?big? family outings, it wasn?t always practical.)

Two weeks before our wedding in August 2011, I came home from work and my husband and I had planned that we would walk the dogs along the canal and have summer evening drink together (I worked a long way from home and really looked forward to a nice evening after a 1.5 hour drive). When I got home from work, my husband announced that his son wanted to go for a drink with him ? and I wasn?t welcome to join them. (His son generally never wanted to do anything with him, but his girlfriend had just gone on holiday with friends for two weeks, so he was at a bit of a loose end - and had no other friends to speak of). I was really upset and angry and couldn?t see why we couldn?t all go for a drink together, but they totally refused to let me come along and consequently I spent the evening alone at home and drank too much wine and caused a huge row.

That night, my husband?s son decided to post on Facebook what a complete bitch I am, claiming that I never allowed him to have quality time with his dad. I confronted him to say how inappropriate this was and how completely untrue it was. In return he told me that he hated me and thought his dad could do much better than me ? and that he had told his dad that night to end it and find someone better. Again, I drank far too much ? didn?t really know how else to cope with things and consequently had a huge row with my husband that almost ended my marriage (to be!).

To this day, my husband constantly reminds me that I am lucky to be married to him and that it is my drinking that caused his son?s appalling behaviour and almost ended our marriage. I have been having counselling for my drinking and have been taking Campral, but can?t help feeling that although my husband totally blames me for everything ? and YES ? I do drink too much. If I wasn?t in this situation ? with him ? maybe I wouldn?t have a drink problem in the first place!!

When I speak to my councellor, she makes me feel that I'm the one who is being wronged - but as soon as I get home, I'm put firmly back in my place as the 'drinker' who's causing all the problems - very confused!!

Very complex!
    My thought would be that alcohol complicates everything so get sober no matter what else transpires.

A big thing has happened since I have been sober. I realise that I was being scapegoated by the kids who chose to blame everything on my drinking. Of course some things were down to it, but not all.

Now I am sober they have to face their own shortcomings and own responsibility for their actions.

So, get sober here, get marriage counseling there is my advice.

KY

Comment

:welcome: Isittoolate? and no it is not too late!!!
      You ARE being wronged............sorry but because of a somewhat similar personal situation I know exactly what you're going through!!
      Man the ranting I could do about him saying "I am lucky to be married to him"....don't listen to that crap!! Listen to your councellor.
      You can take ownership of your drinking but you don't have to take ownership of his blaming you for anything that doesn't go right.
      Don't let him use you as an excuse to not look at himself.
      Sorry IITL but your post really struck a chord with me. You look after you (period). There is a lot of us here to help you on your way.......PPQ

Comment

It's kind of like subverting the dominant paradigm isn't it?

I think to AL complicates things, no matter what the situation. So, if you can eliminate it from this tricky dilemma, you'd be a winner I'm sure! I like Porqoui's comment about taking ownership of things and it sounds like you have done that about your drinking and its impact. Being clear headed and sound in judgement really helps.

Good luck - blended and extended families are tough going!

Remember, YOU count too in this family!!!
        It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
        Mother Theresa

Comment

Isittoolate

Its going to be a tough call from a divorce lawyers standpoint until one (or both) or you really cleans up your act. That means, no drinking, steady job, paycheck etc. I think your ex is a jerk but this is CA and you need to do the right thing. Get yourself back together, be prepared to take care o the kids and then get some spousal (and alimony) from him. Good luck

Comment

Isitoolate,

You are getting great advice here. Your exact particulars aren't the same as many here, but the underlying problem is common. You have to get sober first. For one, your head will be clear to think more rationally. For two, the alcohol will no longer be used as the reason for all problems.

You title shows you are already aware of the truth within yourself. You said yourself, you started drinking because of the problems, so when you wash away the alcohol, I will assume the issues will still be there. The alcohol just made them worse and took away your ability to stand your ground because now there is some truth to the accusations. Get sober, then you can get counsel and stand your ground on the reality of the issues. That is a good motivation for getting sober.

Had issues myself along these lines. Once the alcohol was gone for over a month, I was in a better position to see that the issues were a large trigger...a vicious circle.

:l
            Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Wow, isittoolate. No it's not too late and it does sound to me like your husband is treating you very unfairly! I know from personal experience, that AL definitely complicates any situation. When my husband and I first moved in together we would get into some doozies because i was plastered. He didn't drink then and I was a raging alcoholic. We are awesome now but that has not always been the case. I agree with the other posts that you do definitely need to quit drinking because then it takes that excuse away from him. What excuse will he have when you are clean and sober? I also think you need to have a long talk with hubby about the way his children make you feel and the way it must make you feel when he tells you how "lucky" you are to be his wife. That certainly does not sound like the case to me! It sounds to me like you are getting the shaft. Just being honest!!! I hope you make the right decisions and stand up for yourself. Good luck on your journey to sobriety. This forum and your therapist are a step in the right direction!
              One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

That really irks me that your husband and stepson are being such d**ks! I hate it when people take advantage of a vulnerable person. Yes, the drinking makes it worse, but it did not cause this. Stop drinking, especially when there are problems or when you are angry, and then you will *know* where you stand. Good luck to you and welcome to MWO. Post as often as you like, and someone will be here for you.:l

"I like people too much or not at all."
                Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
                X