Functional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Functional?

I thought this was interesting. When I was drinking I had a good job, paid all my bills on time, didn't end up in hospital, didn't get in trouble with the police etc but I certainly wasn't a "functional" alcoholic.

Mandy Saligari: 'Functional Alcoholics' - An Oxymoron Fuelling Denial
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Functional?

Another interesting thread Marshy. Thanks for posting it. I read this with interest.

I too was highly functional. I think many of us are. I think its DG who often says she thought of alcoholics as rubbies under a bridge with a paper sack, but not US. So true. Meanwhile I racked up a 2 - 5 bottle of wine a week habit. I dont care what anyone sez, thats an addiction. Especially when we find ourselves thinking about it all the time.

And I was lucky enough to recognize addictive behaviour and thinking and self harm, symptomology etc, and decided to stop before I got too far into the red. This article shows the point of view of a councilor dealing with parents and childred where at least one parent is a functional alcoholic. I see myself there for sure. My adult kids now are up front with me about it but it wasnt really discussed at the time obviously. I did more than just throw wads of cash at them, though. But I confess I could have been a better parent. Thank god we have a good relationship now mostly. Throwing wads of cash has its drawbacks as well. Kids who grow up that way have a strange sense of what they are worth, and their ideas about work can be warped too.

I really feel that AL is a huge problem between kids and parents. I am glad I got out when i did. I wish i had done it sooner. Cant change the past tho.

kas
    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Functional?

Perhaps it is all relative. I have assumed that this term describes people who are able to hold a job and carrry out other responsibilities, in contrast to people who do not do these things due to heavy alcohol co sumption. Perhaps none of these tasks is done well or completely, including parenting.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
      X