they want me to go to rehab -- need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi .. longtime member here who's so far had little success. Long story short, I finally, finally went to the doctor, got a full physical, and fessed up about my problem (I did this largely because I was about to be laid off and lose my insurance; I was worried sick about my health). I drink roughly two bottles of wine a night, sometimes less.

I really don't think I am physically addicted, although being unemployed and other problems have made an utter emotional mess. But the two social workers who are working with me insist I am at great risk if I try to go cold turkey.

I have also been taking Naltrexone for about a month. I had the "honeymoon" period where my consumption dropped way off, but that went away, although I'm told it can take several months. Now, as I have no insurance, they are pressuring me to go into a county-funded detox/rehab. I don't want to go! I think I can lick this on my own with the help of the Naltrex. Anyone have experience with inpatient rehab, or any thoughts? Thanks! :thanks:
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

I would go. You would have quite a bit of withdrawal symptoms and you are at risks of having DTs and seizures and possible death. You could at least do detox which usually are just 3-5 days. I would follow your doctor's orders.
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Alcoholic;1399600 wrote: I would go. You would have quite a bit of withdrawal symptoms and you are at risks of having DTs and seizures and possible death. You could at least do detox which usually are just 3-5 days. I would follow your doctor's orders.
      I am a little confused as you were drinking this amount and just tapered back over 10 days.

He is not mentioning any worrying symptoms and doesn't want to go to rehab.

Comment

Because I have klonopin too from a physician and could use it as a rescue med to reduce my withdrawal sx and I have bp cuffs and can monitor my heart rate. I am under a physician's care.
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Dex

I went to a detox centre for a week so they could monitor my withdrawl. Other than the usual shakes, sweats...I didn't have any major issues.

After that I went into inpatient rehab for 2 months. It was the best thing I ever did. Was scared in the begining, could leave at anytime, didn't and what an experience!

What developed was a sort of MWO house. (Kind of like the one they talk about on the Army Thread if you read around the site.)

There were structured days, you had chores to do like "normal" people.
          There was structured group sessions where you discussed specific topics and information sessions, usually a film.

You also have to attend the inhouse AA meetings with outside speakers, which were great. You didn't have to participate but you had to be there.

And of course "free time" which is where a lot of bonding amongs us formed. At the time, this was a mixed rehab and the men felt the same way as the women. The food was great!

Many things happened in my life after that, would take a whole new forum to discuss it. :H
          But to this day I don't regret going.

Be safe and know we're thinking of you......PPQ

Comment

That is part of what is nuts. I'm taking Klonopin ... just got the dose increased because of major sleep problems. The county insists that people be clean of this drug and all "benzos" before treatment. I'm just so damned confused.

Comment

Alcoholic;1399618 wrote: Because I have klonopin too from a physician and could use it as a rescue med to reduce my withdrawal sx and I have bp cuffs and can monitor my heart rate. I am under a physician's care.
              Oh OK, I didn't know this.

Comment

Porquoi, sorry, my last response, re Klonopin, was for Alcoholic. I honestly would not mind doing a month or two of rehab. But I simply can't. I'm unemployed and I need to look for jobs full time. I understand this whole issue is hard to give advice about, there are so many factors.

Comment

Dex: they probably will detox you off your benzo and alcohol. They will use benzo to detox you and taper you off both benzo and alcohol. That's my guess. Benzo and alcohol withdrawals combined can cause seizures
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

My understanding is I have to be absolutely clean of benzos before they will even see me. I am so confused. It is bizarre. I need to call tomorrow and try to get some of this clarified. I thank you all so much for your help.

Comment

dexterhead;1399625 wrote: My understanding is I have to be absolutely clean of benzos before they will even see me. I am so confused. It is bizarre. I need to call tomorrow and try to get some of this clarified. I thank you all so much for your help.
                      I would even get it in writing if possible, so your left hand knows what your right hand is doing..... So to speak

Comment

Yea, dex: that's pretty confusing. Hope it gets cleared up. Good luck.
                        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Hi Dexter,

Good to see you again! Sorry to hear you're going through a rough spot. I know how badly you want to quit. I also do not understand the need to be off of both Benzos and alcohol before treatment...?? Isn't that what treatment is FOR? I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with rehab. I was able to quit using Ativan, Antabuse, and a very helpful doctor that monitored me through the critical detox period. I really hope you can get this worked out, you deserve to live the sober life. Please do NOT give up, something will work out. Keep us posted ok?

K9
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I would go for it Dex. But I know you need employment......
                            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

They normally use benzos during detox. Librium is a favorite. Klonopin has a very long half life. If you have an addiction to Klonopin that's a rough one to kick from what I hear.

Drinking with benzos is a big time bad idea. My guess is they would normally taper you off both and monitor you.

I don't understand why they would want you clean before you went it. Something does not add up.

Comment

Working...
                              X