Panic Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic Attacks

Hi...let me say this first. I have no idea why I am going threw rolling panic attacks since Friday. I have been sober past 8 months. But here it goes again with that panic feeling in my mind. This has been a ongoing problem after months of sobriety. Doctors are no good with this because it's mind issue. I had one today at work. I had to go home. I feel embarrassed as a man. I am one of those very confident men types. But this constant panic attacks at the worse time just makes it hard for me to move on. I know I can trust MWO for help. I have tried everything. I am open to help from the MWO crowd for help with anxiety attacks and anxiety disorder. Thank you all.
    Started living again 2/7/2015

Panic Attacks

I so know how you feel... I suffer from panic disorder as well... I think the fear of getting one makes them come on even worse. I recently stopped Celexa and in the course of discussing that with my doctor she suggested 5 htp... Maybe you could try that as it is available at health food stores. When I feel one coming on its as if I am choking or going to pass out and if I cough it sometimes stops it in its tracks... I hate them though.

Comment

Panic Attacks

We are suffering threw the same problem. I have tried everything. I have no idea what to do. They just happen. And have no idea how to solve it.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Finallydone; I really feel for you. After a near-death experience a few years ago (choked on bacon, of all things!) I suffered panic attacks for a few months after.
        Brown paper bags became a necessity. Breathing in and out into the bag did help a lot. I also got prescribed Propranalol, which helped a lot. I think the major thing is identifying what triggers them. How have you been feeling lately? Is there something troubling you recently that may be causing anxiety? It can be dealt with, but I do know how scary it is.........probably not much help but I hope you can sort this out. I found when I was drinking they were worse...
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Panic Attacks

Hi FD,
          A few weeks ago I found Inositol Powder at a health food store and it seems to be working. In fact I had forgotten about the panic attacks that sent me to the doctor who prescribed celexa.

Try googling it, might be something to try.

CT
          AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

Panic Attacks

CanToo;1401194 wrote: Hi FD,
            A few weeks ago I found Inositol Powder at a health food store and it seems to be working. In fact I had forgotten about the panic attacks that sent me to the doctor who prescribed celexa.

Try googling it, might be something to try.

CT
            Hi Cantoo,

Finally done, as well as the inositol add GABA, both help amazingly with anxiety and are not addictive and have no side effects

Comment

Panic Attacks

Yes, I am taking GABA (with B6) and the 5HTP.....

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

Comment

Panic Attacks

CanToo;1401202 wrote: Yes, I am taking GABA (with B6) and the 5HTP.....
                We LOVE our supplements FinallyD, as you can see!

Comment

Panic Attacks

FD,
                  I went through a few years of panic attacks unrelated to AL. As a matter of fact, I came to find out that they were due to a hormonal imbalance. Once the hormones were balanced, the attacks magically disappeared.
                  Could you possibly have some bloodwork done, see if anything is off kilter?
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Panic Attacks

Hi FD....

I've had panic attacks before, too and they are so frightening. I feel for you and can remember the pain of public embarrassment and humilation. I actually still shudder at the idea of going to the Nordstrom's in Seattle where I had my last big anxiety meltdown.

Fortunately, I have a great medical caregiver who has helped me learn a lot about holistic healing. And now, that I no longer drink or am addicted to anything - AND have worked on repairing all those years of biochemical damage - the anxiety is gone. Long gone. Along with those panic attacks.

I learned that my anxiety isn't all in my head - it starts in the adrenals...those neat little glands that sit on top of your kidneys. They control our fight or flight reflex. My adrenals were exhausted. Stress - and prolonged stress - will do that. And of course, years and years of alcohol abuse. I'll bet your adrenals are probably shot, too. Here are some of the supplements that helped me heal:

Vitamin B Complex is essential for repairing the nervous system. I use the liquid form. In that mix, Panthothenic Acid (B5) is responsible for the synthesis of stress hormones in the adrenal glands which have been ravaged by years of alcohol abuse. Vitamin C is also critical because it is used in the formation of adrenal hormones and during times of stress these nutrients are depleted. Magnesium Malate is another mineral that was added to my healing mix as well to restore enzyme balance on the cellular level.

Last, but not least...there's L-Theanine
                    - an amino acid that promotes an "alert" state of relaxation. This acts as a precursor for GABA which is that neurotransmitter that really gets messed up by alcohol. GABA is HUGE in terms of regulating anxiety. For awhile, I was taking straight GABA powder, but my doc warned that the wrong balance can actually produce the opposite effect. Rather than producing a sense of well-being...it can boomerang and actually produce anxiety. The L-theanine will help your body produce its own GABA. GABA deficiencies are often at the root of the anxiety disorders that a lot of folks have even if they don't drink. Getting GABA back into balance is such a relief.

I still take the supplements when I remember, but for the most part, believe my body has done quite a bit of healing. I have also learned better ways of dealing with stress and don't let myself get run down - I get enough sleep...I exercise and I eat whole, healthy foods. In other words...now that all systems are working well again....it's a whole lot easier to deal with the regular hizha of life.

FD - you have done something quite amazing in the past few months by breaking the addiction to alcohol....and every day you stay free of alcohol..you move closer to a state of restored health. It takes time...and some help in repair...but you have the ability to keep this process moving forward.

You did good thing by reaching out...as you can see...you've got a fine posse of peeps to help support you in getting 100-percent whole again....
                    Sober for the Revolution!
                    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Panic Attacks

I started having panic attacks at 18. I had them on and off through my 20s...and whatever started them (I have some idea) paled in comparison to the panic attacks themselves. I was so scared of having one and freaking out like a crazy person (sorry, do not intend to offend), that it made it all the worse. As far as I know, no one ever noticed my behavior, but it seemed horrific at the time. I'm not sure what helped me except that I realized what they were, and that I was not mentally insane, and just recognizing and thinking about it rationally seemed to help. I have not had one in many years now.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Panic Attacks

i think this is the first time ive heard inositol mentioned in these forums,i recently stumbled upon it googling vit.supps,its supposed to be great for anxiety and mood,i bought some tablets a week ago,i havent taken it yet,worth a try hopefully
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Panic Attacks

Panic attacks and anxiety in general are not the most fun thing to talk about for me. They are hard for others who do not have them to understand them. They make you feel like you are dying. The very reason I brought it up is because they happen to me. I just want to let everyone know they happen and don't be scared of it. AL and anxiety go hand in in hand with each other.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Finally - I am trying to find some literature that my therapist gave me when I was having panic attacks/anxiety. She loaned me books, etc. But, she also gave me some printouts that had some interesting information. I think that I scanned it & have a copy at work. I'll look for it tomorrow. I'll PM you if I find it.
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Panic Attacks

Pauly, FYI I try to find the powder forms of supplements, they seem more expensive but they are absorbed by the body easier (goes for my l-glutamine also).

FD - Thank you for bringing up this topic. I have not spoken of it as much as I should. It must happen to most here on one level or another.

Comment

Working...
                              X