The common lizard brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The common lizard brain

Has anyone noted how very similar our AL lizard brain is to our toxic relationship lizard brain? I have finally stopped listening to my toxic relationship lizard brain that keeps me locked into a bad relationship just like it keeps you locked up with AL our ever ready friend or errr...foe! As I've cried many tears, today I suddenly realized just how remarkably similar these dual arguing brain thoughts are to one another. We do really know what is best and yet we will continue to argue against it for various reasons. I'm a bit out of it from all the craziness here, but I have found this quite interesting. Maybe the realization will be beneficial in both battlefields. We have a hellish hole full of fears that keep us from doing what is really the best for us. The reality seems to battle against the illusion or the desire for what we want to be true. Why do we have such complicated brains when it should be quite simple?

Tough road ahead for Slay. If/when I make it through this battle, just imagine how strong I'll be? Phew...time for my armor. This is not going to be an easy fight.
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

The common lizard brain

The battle between reason and emotion. Slay wants to be a vulcan!
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

The common lizard brain

Slay -

I'm sending you strength...you're right, this is NOT easy. Each little battle you win makes you stronger. Hang in there and let us know how we can help!

K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The common lizard brain

Slay

the problem is that the lizard brain is NOT complicated, it is very simple. If something gives it pleasure that is what it demands.

That is why it works for me if I get a thought to drink to say 'oh I will drink tomorrow' ..... The lizard brain is happy knowing when I am going to fetch alcohol.

But my mind is actually being very clever, deep down I KNOW tomorrow never comes. And I have never had two bad days in a row yet.

The thought quietens the urge though....... Works for me, not just for alcohol but many knee jerk actions

Comment

The common lizard brain

K9Lover;1401906 wrote: Slay -

I'm sending you strength...you're right, this is NOT easy. Each little battle you win makes you stronger. Hang in there and let us know how we can help!

K9
          Just send plenty of love, antibiotic salve and bandaids. Oh and if you have an extra tube of superglue handy, send that too!:upset:

It's fresh and raw, so the above and time...

Thank you, K9. :l

Comment

The common lizard brain

kuya;1401916 wrote: Slay

the problem is that the lizard brain is NOT complicated, it is very simple. If something gives it pleasure that is what it demands.

That is why it works for me if I get a thought to drink to say 'oh I will drink tomorrow' ..... The lizard brain is happy knowing when I am going to fetch alcohol.

But my mind is actually being very clever, deep down I KNOW tomorrow never comes. And I have never had two bad days in a row yet.

The thought quietens the urge though....... Works for me, not just for alcohol but many knee jerk actions

I think that depends on what the trigger is. If it's boredom or just an urge for feeling a buzz, I can see that working. If it's an emotional trigger, saying tomorrow doesn't work as well. You want the escape NOW! I've used that technique on sweets when I am trying to keep my weight where I want it. 'Slay, you can have it tomorrow.'

Thanks for the thoughts.

Comment

The common lizard brain

thinking of you Slay
              good luck and be strong sweetie!
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

The common lizard brain

Slaythefear;1401818 wrote: Has anyone noted how very similar our AL lizard brain is to our toxic relationship lizard brain? I have finally stopped listening to my toxic relationship lizard brain that keeps me locked into a bad relationship just like it keeps you locked up with AL our ever ready friend or errr...foe! As I've cried many tears, today I suddenly realized just how remarkably similar these dual arguing brain thoughts are to one another. We do really know what is best and yet we will continue to argue against it for various reasons. I'm a bit out of it from all the craziness here, but I have found this quite interesting. Maybe the realization will be beneficial in both battlefields. We have a hellish hole full of fears that keep us from doing what is really the best for us. The reality seems to battle against the illusion or the desire for what we want to be true. Why do we have such complicated brains when it should be quite simple?

Tough road ahead for Slay. If/when I make it through this battle, just imagine how strong I'll be? Phew...time for my armor. This is not going to be an easy fight.
                Great relabelling slay !!
                Inspired..
                Dix
                A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

The common lizard brain

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes. People can always use love and kindness.:l

Comment

Working...
                  X