X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

Hi All:

FYI~

HBO will be offering a free weekend next weekend for cable participants. There will be an awesome special on addiction. I noticed that one of the segments is titled "Topiramate: A Clinical Trial for Alcoholism".

I pasted the following from the web site: HBO: Addiction

The ADDICTION project is an unprecedented multi-platform campaign aimed at helping Americans understand addiction as a chronic but treatable brain disease. Premiering Thursday, March 15 at 9pm (ET/PT) on HBO with the centerpiece documentary ADDICTION, the project uses all of the network's digital platforms, including the HBO main service, multiplex channels, HBO On Demand, podcasts and web streams.

All films in the 14-part documentary series will initially be offered during a free HBO preview weekend from Thursday, March 15 to Sunday, March 18 in participating cable systems.

The project is produced by HBO in partnership with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

Elements include:
    The feature-length documentary film ADDICTION is the centerpiece of the project and debuts March 15 on HBO. Bringing together the nation's leading experts with award-winning filmmakers, it consists of nine separate segments, including: "Saturday Night in a Dallas ER," by Jon Alpert; "A Mother's Desperation," by Susan Froemke and Albert Maysles; "The Science of Relapse," by Eugene Jarecki and Susan Froemke; "The Adolescent Addict," by Kate Davis and David Heilbroner; "Brain Imaging," by Liz Garbus and Rory Kennedy; "Opiate Addiction: A New Medication," by D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus; "Topiramate: A Clinical Trial for Alcoholism," by Alan and Susan Raymond; "Steamfitters Local Union 638," by Barbara Kopple; and "Insurance Woes," by Susan Froemke. ADDICTION is produced by John Hoffman and Susan Froemke; executive produced by Sheila Nevins.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

Interesting. I don't get HBO, but maybe our area will be part of the free trial. Thanks for the info.

Comment

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

cool - thanks seabreez
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

Wow! Thanks...Just checked out the link!! I am all over this...can't wait to watch it!!!

Beth
        formerly known as bak310

Comment

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

HBO Special

Thanks, SeaBreez!

I had a head's up on this series but neglected to post, so I'm really glad you did. I'll be following up on my blog later, but encourage everyone to make time for the series if you get HBO, or at the very least check out the website.

And yes, there's so much good info there. I felt this link
          in particular, called "Let's Talk about Craving" provided very interesting and practical info and it was worth posting below.

As I read, I kept thinking about the many ways to incorporate the information into MWO...from anti-craving meds to positive visualization exercises to the 'ol "L-glut under the tongue trick." See what you think. :-)

"Summary:

Brain imaging research is revealing that the signals, or cues, that may spark an addicted person's desire to take drugs can be incredibly subtle or quick. Expanded knowledge about craving helps scientists develop new medical treatments for addiction.

Cravings - powerful desires - are part of the human condition. Our brains are "hard-wired" to appreciate and to pursue natural rewards such as food and sex because of their critical survival value.

Drugs used by addicted people activate the same circuits that motivate food and sexual behavior. Signals, called cues, can be sights, sounds, smell or thoughts. Cues activate the brain's powerful "go!" circuit creating cravings. The cravings for alcohol and other drugs can be even stronger than those for food or sex.

Managing the cravings associated with food, sex and drugs is the responsibility of the brain's inhibitory "stop!" circuitry. Research suggests that some people have better "stop!" systems or better "brakes," than others. Individuals with weaker "brakes," may have much greater difficulty managing cravings, putting them at increased risk for addiction, and/or for relapse. Exposure to some drugs may actually weaken the brain's braking system.
          Cravings may have their beginnings outside conscious awareness. Recent brain imaging research shows that drug and sexual cues as brief as 33 milliseconds can activate the brain "go!" circuit even though the person is not conscious of the cues.

In addition to cue-induced craving, desire can also be fueled by:
          • a small sample of the drug/food/rewarding activity (the "salty peanut" effect: "just a little" often leads to much more!)the wish to avoid negative effects (such as drug withdrawal, or negative moods, etc.). Many people with addictions have a co-occurring mood disorder (anxiety or depression). These moods can themselves become triggers for food or drug craving, increasing the risk of relapse.
          Hope Through Research

You can get help with managing craving, and there is much ongoing research aimed at the development of more effective anti-craving interventions (for food, drugs, sex, gambling, etc.).

Both anti-craving medications and anti-craving behavioral strategies may be helpful to inhibit or "stop!" drug craving. Many of these medications have been well-studied; others are in the early stages of testing. New anti-craving interventions may be available in a location close to you. Research treatments are usually available at no cost (as they are supported by research

FIVE THINGS TO DO ABOUT CRAVING

When you have an episode of craving:

1. Try to view the craving in a matter-of-fact way. Having a craving does not mean that you are unmotivated - or that you are doomed to relapse.

2. Learning about your craving triggers, and how to manage them, will be an important part of your recovery in addiction.

3. Try anti-craving behavioral strategies, such as the 5-minute contract (making a contract with yourself not to act on the desire for the next five minutes, and then engaging in a distracting activity in the meantime.) Many urges are short-lived - you will find they are weaker if you can "surf through" the first few minutes.

4. Call upon the guidance of a trained treatment professional may be needed for successfully implementing any of a number of well-described behavioral techniques that can be helpful in managing cravings. Treatment manuals detail these strategies.

5. Consider an anti-craving medication. Craving can erupt quickly and feel overwhelming, making it difficult to put to use behavioral anti-craving strategies, even well-learned ones."

Source: HBO: Addiction: Understanding Addiction: Let's Talk About Craving
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

SPECIAL on ADDICTION

Thanks samadhi (other post)~ I meant to bump this today but forgot.
            bumpity bump
            :thumbs:
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X