Years of heavy drinking has taken its toll on my body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just completed my first A/F week in a long time. I m quite proud of myself as I went to a family party where everybody got drunk and I didn't drink,so I not only see how pathetic all the typical rows were I also gave half of them a lift home :O)
    My question is all the booze I have drank has changed my body and face, I have large bags under my eyes blotchy skin my face is puffy and I am 4 stone heavier now than I should be. How long does it take for these changes to go if I stay and I am confident I will this time off the poison.
    I really just want to be a well balanced healthy individual and to look like one"dare i say normal "
    Its easier not to start than stop

Hi gmc and welcome to MWO.The sad facts are that just as it took a certain amount of time for your body to show the effects of alcohol abuse it will take a few months to see the real results of not drinking,Of course you will certainly feel better after the first few days but unfortunately there are no fast shortcuts in beating this.Make your plan and goals,take it slowly dealing with everyday one at a time,post your thoughts and feelings here where you will get great advice and support,There is a newbies nest and a tool box thread that may help you, good luck and don't quit quitting.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-30074.html

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

297 days sober here and 2 stone lighter, gone from 15 stone to 13 stone and eating whatever I want when I want ! truly bizarre.

I abused my body at least 3 x a week for about 25 years, it is still healing, my brain thoughts and just about everything is changing.

Stick with it !

Plus sober is good !
      Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Welcome to MWO, gmc!

I second what the others have said...congrats on being AF for a week already, and be sure to check out the Tool Box on this site. I also recommend the My Way Out book, available on this site, most of the vitamin supplements, recommended in the program (the magnesium did not work for me), and the hypnotic CDs, which helped to train my mind IMO.

My blotchy red face improved significantly by the end of the second week. My bloodshot eyes and puffiness also improved quickly once my sleep patterns normalized, which also took took about ten days. The Calms Forte recommended on this site, which costs about seven dollars at CVS, helped with that, altho it can give me vivid dreams.

I have had Candela Vbeam laser therapy to help with some of the spider veins, and quite a few of my friends have had their baggy eyelids "done," so there will be lots of ways you can spend the money you are now saving by not buying liquor!

vanity can be a great motivator...use whatever works... Good luck! FFP
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I looked better when drunk, so my former lovers said anyway, trouble was, they were all drunk when they got involved with me, we all sobered up and it looked like a hall of mirrors :H

Comment

Physical exercise has at lot going for it. It won't make you lose weight unless you are fanatical but whatever you have will look a lot better. Bulging body-builder's muscles are not necessary - just a bit of muscle-tone goes a long way.
            A convenient gym is also a good place to beat the shit out of any minor irritations that might otherwise lead to a beverage.
            Regular exercise also makes you feel better.
            Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys, it is a confident booster knowing I m not the only one that has damage to my face
              Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS on making it this far. Its going to be a terrific improvement. Lots of help here, wonderful people.

I sometimes think that maybe its a blessing in disguise that the effects of AL abuse do actually show up enough on our faces that we start thinking its time to stop, this cant be a good thing. I maintain that I was not that big a drinker but I was getting red spider lines on my face, swollen and puffy eyes, and when I bent over I could feel my innards complaining. Swollen ankles too. Blech. Who was I trying to kid?

Drink lots of water, it takes up to a year to see all of the physical benefits. Sometimes lack of sleep can become a problem. Supplements help. AL really buggers up a lot of our ordinary metabolism. You will start to notice improvements in your skin, hair, eyes, and general feeling of well being.

k
                Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

hi gmc,these guys are right a couple of weeks af,even my hands looked younger,i was always afraid of getting that big,red,ugly alcoholic nose! you know the one!
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

great to see you back rudolf :H

Comment

scottishman;1406404 wrote: great to see you back rudolf :H
                      Hehe Great!

Comment

Yep after quitting alcohol..my hands look younger...rest of the body looks like I nicked it from a 90 year old :H:H:H
                        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mick;1406617 wrote: Yep after quitting alcohol..my hands look younger...rest of the body looks like I nicked it from a 90 year old :H:H:H
                          I thought you were 90 Mick! :H:H:H

Comment

I remember a stranger describing me as 'the girl with the sad eyes...'
                            Took me a long time but now I can see what he meant
                            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Hi GMC,

You will be amazed how much it will all change in a short time, especially if you have a good diet, drink loads of water and exercise regularly.

Good luck xxx
                              AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                              Day by day

Comment

Working...
                              X