Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I've Achieved Since I Quit Drinking (add yours here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it might be fun and encouraging, perhaps even enlightening, for us to post some of the things we just couldn't seem to get done when we were drinking all the time.

I've finally completed and submitted my 2011 tax return. Go me! :H

What have you achieved since you cleaned up your act?

Interesting thread

Reorganized my business
    Updated my price structuring
    Rearranged my house
    Cleared rubbish from outside
    Taken better care of my skin/general grooming
    Laughed more(if that is possible for me ----- could find something funny at a funeral!)
    Spent better quality time with all my kids
    Vastly improved my diet
    Thought about quitting smoking 73.5 times :H
    Spent a shite load of time on MWO
    Thought about NOT spending SO much time on MWO
    Failed in battle to spend less time on MWO

Comment

1. GREATLY improved my time at doing the Sunday jumble
      2. Actually used up not one but TWO jars of night-time face/wrinkle cream
      3. Learned to feel confident about recollections of yesterday evening
      4. Been totally honest on medical forms...and secretly, oh so proud of that fact!
      5. Spent a huge amount of time on MWO
      . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I can walk and chew gum at the same time.......Ha!
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Going a whole day without drinking is a big achievement for me!
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Repaired damaged relations
            Discovered a new appreciation for life and nature (love the morning)
            Competed in 15 Triathlons (5 major international, 2 ironman)
            Competed in 10 bike road racing events
            Competed in 3 mud off trail challenge events
            Hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim
            Volunteer for The McDowell Mountain Conservency (Scottsdale, AZ)
            Volunteer at the Veterans Administration teaching vets art skills
            Engaged in painting and drawing again
            Made so many wonderful friends on MWO
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Ive thought many times about a thread like this. Before I began getting alcohol under control through this site, the alcohol was consuming so much of my free time. While on the moderate drinking path I began reading great books instead of leafing mindlessly through catalogs, and in so many ways I have accomplished things instead of wasting my time, wasting my life away. Now I have quit for good and I look forward to even more time enjoying the activities of living: reading, choral singing, gardening, teaching gardening classes, nurturing my gardening students, writing my weekly newspaper column, biking, swimming, walking the dog, cooking good soups, traveling to beautiful places. This winter I hope to complete at least the top of the crazy quilt I started a couple of years ago. I also started a rug hooking project last winter, that I hope to complete. I am also better at doing nothing, just sitting in my chair without that drink in my hand.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

techie;1410845 wrote: Repaired damaged relations
                Discovered a new appreciation for life and nature (love the morning)
                Competed in 15 Triathlons (5 major international, 2 ironman)
                Competed in 10 bike road racing events
                Competed in 3 mud off trail challenge events
                Hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim
                Volunteer for The McDowell Mountain Conservency (Scottsdale, AZ)
                Volunteer at the Veterans Administration teaching vets art skills
                Engaged in painting and drawing again
                Made so many wonderful friends on MWO
                I was feeling pretty good about myself until I read Techie's accomplishments! hehe

Oh here's one...I quit smoking!!!
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Started caring about life and the goals I wanted to reach.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                  Sylvia Plath

Comment

I feel the same way K9!!
                    love me some techie!!

Peace and harmony in my marriage...that's a big one!!
                    Feel better....look better......
                    No more hangovers!!
                    SO many friends here

cook every night for my family AND do the dishes
                    no more missed work
                    and yes...I use night cream now...
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Learning the cello...
                      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Started to think of more important things then when is the next time to drink.
                        Spent the morning after not regretting the night before.
                        Saving myself years of heartache by quitting now.

Thats just a few.
                        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

my son was proud to have me at his side, i was there beside my son and his friends,sober an stable and very humbled an grateful that i was asked to come to support them at their friends funeral today.only 15,an gone,his death has driven home how precious life is, i for 1 have been careless for to long, the fog has lifted rehab was the only way to gain the realisation that my spirit was broken,(not without a little stubborness) i was bloody well powerless and indeed i am an alchoholic! finally, i never thought id hear my self say it but hope and faith and a quieter mind has been consistant with the time i ve ACTIVLETY spent going to aa meetings an rehab.realising in rehab that i was actually belly laughing,till it ached with 12 peers,stone cold sober was such a relief,but still dreading that come down where it all goes crash, its not happened,so many obstacles have been thrown at me,a councillor said i was addicted to chaos!!! surley not! it was choas while i was in rehab an im glad, it prepared me for the real life! it s never going to be smooth but every morning i wake up im so glad that i am still sober, nothing can get better with booze! nothing.ive studied people who have been sober a good while, unbeliving that they were sober and REALLY THAT HAPPY , it seemed un natural an incomprehendable,i thought they had to be screaming out on the inside,i relapsed time an time again, before treatment, home detoxification fixed the physical, but it didnt fix or come close to the real problem, ME,im understanding an feeling the beginnings of contentment,life is rewarding me the more i smile im sure,the more real an honest i am with myself the more progress in understanding, today i felt pride, pride for my son and dear friends, and for ME,working the steps is really been beneficial, its made me look at how i am instead of just being how i am,
                          if you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got!

Comment

Great thread!

I did this:

* Got in a really kick ass shape both physically and meantally
                            * Made a lot of money
                            * Had many nice trips on my bike because I was bored from not drinking
                            * Fixed many things in my apartment, like installing dimmer switches and a more powerfull bathroom ventilator
                            * Quit sleeping my life away trying to sleep out hangovers
                            * +++

Comment

Nice post to read out!!!
                              Though suggest friends to come up in bullet points,I think it would be catchy and interesting.
                              -stopped to weep in a train or bus alone.
                              -focused on good food so achieved a targeted weight loss.
                              -recovering my damaged brain.
                              Dix
                              A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Working...
                              X