My New Experience in My Way Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to everybody. Today is my Day-3 since I started the medication and nutritional supplements. I am quite elated to note that I do not have the desire to drink alcohol as before (I used to take 3-4 bottles of beer everyday).
    My problem now is to get sleep. For the past 2 days, I lay awake from 10PM till 4 am.
    I could sleep for just 3 hours ( 4 to 7 am) and then rush to work.
    I do not think this is a kind of withdrawl symptom because I did not even think about alcohol while I was waiting to get into sleep.
    Can anyone suggest / help please?

Hi Andy and. :welcome:

Sleep problems are really common when you first quit. Firstly remember that four hours of sober sleep is worth eight of drunken coma ...... So don't worry.

I use a mixture of trytophan and melatonin , works a treat, others use valerian, 5http, calms forte and other supplements.

Also, even if you do get a sleep remedy, fatigue is a big part of early recovery so be kind to yourself, eat well and plenty and rest as much as possible.

Come over and join the newbies nest and take a look at the toolbox for tips and advice.

Good luck and well done on your 3 days.......the first week is the hardest!

KY

Comment

Some have found better sleeping by taking a Tylenol.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Andy. The sleep issues can definitely be a physical symptom of stopping the drink. You are used to having a central nervous system depressant in your system, and your body has to adjust to it not being there. Google "PAWS" (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptom) for more info on this and other things that may happen as your body adjusts.

One thing that is often recommended to help with sleep initially is Melatonin. That seems to help for many. I personally couldn't tolerate Melatonin (it gives some people strange dreams, and I'm one). Another option that worked better for me is Valerian root. I preferred to take the herbal route rather than get into any other chemical sleep aids, but that's another decision we all have to make for ourselves.

I too used the My Way Out Program "by the book" except for the prescription meds. It really helped me get going in my recovery.

Good luck!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Andy:

above gave good suggestions.. other options:Benadryl, reading an extremely boring book in dim light.
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Melatonin did nothing for me either, but others swear by it.
            I have six months of no Al......and still can't sleep well, so I eventually went to my doctor and got a prescription....
            Be strong this first week.
            Good for you for making this decision!!
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Welcome Andy!!!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hi, Andy, welcome and good luck.

I found that Calms Forte really works wonders, and it's all natural. It's sold both here on the MWO store pages, and in most good drugstore and healtfoods stores that have a vitamin/mineral supplement section.
                Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Chamomile tea, and some Melatonin seem to work pretty good for me, although I seem to be gaining a tolerance to it.

Ambien is a knock out drug for sure, but that requires a script......good luck, Insomnia is a beeeeotch
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                  X