Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Thanks, Tree23.

I will need to learn more about this. (I eat quite a bit of meat, I'm afraid... ). I am trying to eat more fish. I don't know how to cook much of it well, though, so often just settle for sardines.

I have been reading this book by Robert Lustig:

Amazon.com: Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease (9781594631009): Robert H. Lustig: Books

I heard him speak at a conference last year and had (like about a billion other people!) watched this video:YouTube

His argument for not eating much added sugar are pretty compelling.

NS

Comment

WOO HOO!!! No Sugar - thanks for bumping this up. I've still been struggling along the path to get sugar free again. I need to get my azz back here and commit every day to NO SUGAR.

At least there has been NO BOOZE (and NO NICOTINE) so I'll give myself a little credit for that! :h

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1472267 wrote: WOO HOO!!! No Sugar - thanks for bumping this up. I've still been struggling along the path to get sugar free again. I need to get my azz back here and commit every day to NO SUGAR.

At least there has been NO BOOZE (and NO NICOTINE) so I'll give myself a little credit for that! :h

DG
        Hi! I don't think I have met you before. I think the things you already quit are the most important ones anyway. I did the sugar first. Not like I didn't know in my heart that AL was a big problem but I cherished wine more than sugar. Pretty stupid, I know. More than a month without either has been great in so many ways.

NS

Comment

Congrats on your sugarfreeness and winefreeness! I followed the MWO plan to the letter (with the exception of Topamax - I obtained it but never took it) when I first quit drinking in 2008. That included quitting sugar and most carbs. I lost 60+ pounds and never cheated once and kept that weight off for well over a year.

Then I ate a cookie.

I've struggled with sugar ever since.

The one thing this definitely tells me is that I need NEVER experiment with a drink (or a cigarette) ever ever ever ever ever again. I wish I had stayed free when I was free. Can't change that now....I just need to find my way to freedom once again!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1472301 wrote:
            Then I ate a cookie.

DG
            :H Oh, I so know what you mean!! I found it so easy to be low carb and sugar free (and lc beer ) But now...
            Hi DG - great to see you back. I'm giving myself too much credit for no booze. Am getting back into the SF tomorrow - it's a holiday here today (this sort of bargaining/stalling self-talk sounds soooo familiar!!)

Comment

blondie;1472339 wrote: :H Oh, I so know what you mean!! I found it so easy to be low carb and sugar free (and lc beer ) But now...
              Hi DG - great to see you back. I'm giving myself too much credit for no booze. Am getting back into the SF tomorrow - it's a holiday here today (this sort of bargaining/stalling self-talk sounds soooo familiar!!)
              Blondie, I know you're an I quit Sugar reader....have you read through the plan? I'm really finding that it works...just wondered now your're on your SF day 1? in other words stop stalling :l

Comment

You all are doing GREAT !

Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Techie...dont make me come over there...:H

Comment

myhappyplace;1472739 wrote: Blondie, I know you're an I quit Sugar reader....have you read through the plan? I'm really finding that it works...just wondered now your're on your SF day 1? in other words stop stalling :l
                    :thanks: No really. Well no sugar yet this morning, so I have no excuse (except for...):H

You know that'll come back and bite you on the bum, Techie.

Comment

Staying away from all my addictions today!!

Day 3 sugar free
                      Day 1751 AF
                      Day 2202 Nic Free

No compulsive shopping today either!!

I'm going to watch figure skating with wild abandon. Today is the first official practice day at the World Championships!! WHEE!!! Life is so good when I feel it instead of burying it under addictions.

Wishing an addiction free day for all of us!
                      DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Preaching to the choir

This is a list of sugar's sins everyone on this thread probably already knows, but it is very clearly presented - great for sharing with friends or relations who think you are wacky !:

Top 9 Reasons to Avoid Sugar as if Your Life Depended on it

Comment

NoSugar;1477393 wrote: This is a list of sugar's sins everyone on this thread probably already knows, but it is very clearly presented - great for sharing with friends or relations who think you are wacky !:
                          Hi NoSugar! I thought I might find you on this thread!:H
                          I think I do pretty good for not consuming sugar... I don't drink soda, or eat baked goods, candy, etc. I eat very little processed foods. My one indulgence is chocolate with 85% cocoa, which I keep to a minimum these days.
                          Do you ever use a sweetener? And if you so, what is your choice?
                          AF 6 years
                          NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

FallenAngel;1477401 wrote: Hi NoSugar! I thought I might find you on this thread!:H
                            I think I do pretty good for not consuming sugar... I don't drink soda, or eat baked goods, candy, etc. I eat very little processed foods. My one indulgence is chocolate with 85% cocoa, which I keep to a minimum these days.
                            Do you ever use a sweetener? And if you so, what is your choice?

Hi FA!

I also eat that type of chocolate. Yum!

Do you think this is a challenging way to eat? I don't think it is too difficult to avoid sugar and processed foods except when traveling for extended periods or eating at someone elses's house. But unlike
                            with alcohol, I don't think making small exceptions is the end of the world. I also cannot eat wheat, barley or rye and like alcohol, that is a 100% restriction. We eat at home most of the time, anyway, thank goodness, and I like to cook.

I think it is interesting what a large number of people on MWO have figured out that they feel better when they eat this way and what an equally large number have such strong sugar cravings. We are living examples of the relationship between sugar and alcohol metabolism - we either want it all or are better off with neither!

I have tried some non-GMO sugars like coconut sugar recently. It works alright given how little is needed. I've also tried raw honey. About the only thing I make that calls for anything sweet are some dark chocolate truffles. (I should post that recipe on the real foods recipe thread- they are really good.) Otherwise, fruit is generally the sweetest thing I eat. It is amazing how sweet that can be after awhile of not eating super sugary foods!

I liked your Marsten post today. I replied but somehow lost the post uch: -that seems to happen every once in awhile around here. Maybe I am just way too long-winded!

Take care, NS

Comment

Doggygirl;1475943 wrote: Day 3 sugar free
                              Day 1751 AF
                              Day 2202 Nic Free

No compulsive shopping today either!!

I'm going to watch figure skating with wild abandon. Today is the first official practice day at the World Championships!! WHEE!!! Life is so good when I feel it instead of burying it under addictions.

Wishing an addiction free day for all of us!
                              DG
                              Are you enjoying the skating, DG? It sounds like a really fun interest. My husband is a big fan of pro bicycle racing and his enthusiasm has been contagious. It is fun to see people be so good at what they do.

Hope your A/N/S-free plan is going well and that you are feeling great and having fun! -NS

Comment

NoSugar;1477416 wrote:
                                Do you think this is a challenging way to eat? I don't think it is too difficult to avoid sugar and processed foods except when traveling for extended periods or eating at someone elses's house. But unlike
                                with alcohol, I don't think making small exceptions is the end of the world. I also cannot eat wheat, barley or rye and like alcohol, that is a 100% restriction. We eat at home most of the time, anyway, thank goodness, and I like to cook.

I think it is interesting what a large number of people on MWO have figured out that they feel better when they eat this way and what an equally large number have such strong sugar cravings. We are living examples of the relationship between sugar and alcohol metabolism - we either want it all or are better off with neither!

I have tried some non-GMO sugars like coconut sugar recently. It works alright given how little is needed. I've also tried raw honey. About the only thing I make that calls for anything sweet are some dark chocolate truffles. (I should post that recipe on the real foods recipe thread- they are really good.) Otherwise, fruit is generally the sweetest thing I eat. It is amazing how sweet that can be after awhile of not eating super sugary foods!

I liked your Marsten post today. I replied but somehow lost the post uch:
                                Actually, I find this a very easy way to eat! If I stay away from sugar & carbs, I don't crave them. And not having the craving makes all the difference! I used to think I had a very large appetite because I "thought" I was hungry only an hour or so after having eaten quite a bit. Turns out, those were "cravings", not "hunger". I stay away from pasta, breads, (the only kind I eat is Ezekiel), white rice, etc. I have found other substitutes like quinoa, and cauliflower rice. I'm enjoying a green smoothie every day for the past few weeks & really like the energy I'm feeling from them.
                                One sugar treat I do indulge in, is 1/4 cup of ice cream with cinnamon & blueberries. I have this later in the evening. If I eat something like this during the day it will spike my cravings, and I'm apt to continue eating something sweet. However, when I have it as my last thing of the day (and it's within my calorie allowance), I find that it doesn't make me crave anything sweet at my next meal.

Don't you hate losing posts??? grrrrrr.... I have lost so many, and THEY WERE MY BEST ONES! :H
                                AF 6 years
                                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Working...
                                X