The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life- don't beat yourself up. It happens to all of us, often a lot... all that matters is we keep trying. I messed up yesterday too, not with sugar but with gluten, a no-no for me.

We can get back on this horse and do better today

Comment

Oy.
      That's all I can say. This has been a real challenge. I have no bad stuff in the house...I am constantly hungry?! I am eating full meals, and I feel full, yet hungry at the same time, what's THAT all about?
      I hate lifestyle changes. I'll be glad when this gets easier. Sorry to moan and complain but it's all I got today!! Baha!!! If this is like AL, then things should get better tomorrow? I would trip a kid for a candy bar!! This is nuts.
      Hanging in. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Everybody,

I have found a Substitute for Sugar, it is a natural high!!!! .... guessed it yet?

I cant believe I have not thought about it before...

Well, I went to a boxing class this evening. It is something that I had done before but am far from being an expert. We were randomly paired up, with a point system where a winner would go to the next round until we had a champion.

During and afterwards I felt alive! So the answer for me is adrenaline! In the modern society there are a many ways to get a hit and it is safe.

So what do you guys think? I have been searching for this answer for a while, now just need to come up with cheaper ways of getting that adrenaline rush.

Any ideas???

Allan
        AF since 1st Sep 2012
        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Well, after a little research on the net I found a few ways of generating feeling good chemical like endorphins and adrenaline.

1) Confronting your fears. If you are afraid of heights go to the top floor of the tallest building in your city.

2) Talking to strangers or better yet addressing a large audience (like acting or making a presentation)

3) Action Video Games

4) After about 30 minutes of moderate/high intensity activity like running the body naturally starts to release pleasurable chemical mix to combat fatigue and pain.

5) Doing something naughty

6) Sex

7) Imagining a situation that would make your heart race. e.g. pretending like you are a character in an action movie or you are skydiving...The brain often finds it hard to differentiate between a projection and a real life situation.

8) Moving fast (like in a car)

So it is a good list I will give all these a try. Hope other will join me too and I look forward hearing your stories.

Allan
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Allan, you have lost your mind.
            1. Boxing. Do the people hit back? If so, count me out.
            2. I make presentations for a living. I hate it. Especially today when I hate everything...except little cookies.
            3. I don't do heights.
            4. Married. Don't have sex, especially today when I hate everybody.....except cookies.

Why are you so dang happy today????
            Love, Byrdie
            (I could use a cookie!)
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdlady;1567835 wrote: 4. Married. Don't have sex, especially today when I hate everybody.....except cookies.

Almost chocked on my boiled broccoli
              AF since 1st Sep 2012
              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

:H:H:H

Yes, how tasty these dill pickles are! NOT! B
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, Sugar-avoiders!

Here is an interesting article (with references and comments) about food (sugar, 'junk' food) addiction with some discussion of its relationship to other addictions:
                  Why “Everything in Moderation” is Killing People

I hope everyone is eating well and feeling good !

Comment

Here is a recent episode from CBC's Fifth Estate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaYa0AB8TQ[/video]]The Secrets of Sugar - the fifth estate - CBC News - YouTube

It is interesting (and alarming). I'm not sure how long it will be available on YouTube in the US because it does not stream from the CBC website.

Comment

NoSugar;1568782 wrote: Here is a recent episode from CBC's Fifth Estate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaYa0AB8TQ[/video]]The Secrets of Sugar - the fifth estate - CBC News - YouTube

It is interesting (and alarming). I'm not sure how long it will be available on YouTube in the US because it does not stream from the CBC website.
                      watching it now
                      AF since 1st Sep 2012
                      NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Holy Moly! That's scary stuff! Thanks for posting those links! B
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just had a realisation. Many people in the west do not know what it is like not to be full. I don't mean hungry but simply not full. This keeps us in the feeding cycle throughout the day. We have dinner and then 1-2 hours later, we are not really hungry but we are no longer full, so we reach for a snack.

So learning to eat only when we get hungry or at regular intervals is the key here
                          AF since 1st Sep 2012
                          NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

So, I am the biggest Loser! In the sense of having lost my way. I want to start again to not eat sugar, but I'm finding it difficult to get back in the right mindset. And I won't let myself stress or get too frustrated, because I need to be strong to stay sober! That much I know!
                            I'm not eating so much junk food and I'm trying to stay balanced with healthy food and little caffeine. And I did make it to a great Iyengar yoga class yesterday, which is quite a workout! I can't seem to get to the gym, but will continue to gently push myself.

Allan, I think what you said is true. How often are you eating during the day? I have found that eating smaller meals every 3-4 hours helps to regulate my blood sugar, which keeps me more mentally focussed and less likely to snack. If I'm not prepared, don't have time to set up healthy snacks, meals for on the road-- this is when I usually run into trouble. Have you been to the boxing class again?-- Or tried some of the other things on your list? I have to go back and read it again!!

How's everyone else? Skull? Londoner?-- I hope you'll check in and let us know how you are..:l Nosugar, with all your great links-- thank you!! and Byrdie, the rocker..

Comment

Lifechange, the first step is always the hardest. You are 46 days AF, I am sure the first few were the toughest, especially on your first attempt. The same goes for sugar. I spoke to a few people that have eliminated all sugar from their diet, and notoriously read labels for added sugar. They say they do not miss it at all and say that the health benefits are as profound as giving up alcohol. (blood pressure, better skin, better mood, weight loss without much effort, better sleep....)

I agree with them 100% that we are creatures of habit. And believe the only reason we are finding it hard to give up sugar compared to Alcohol, is because we do not view it in the same light. We think that it is bad for us but nothing like AL. Though I do agree that it doesn't do much harm to our social life, it does huge damage to our health (after watching the NS video)

Sorry, forgot where I was going with this. I guess I will end by saying. Sugar and AL, bad. Relationships and exercise, good.

Allan
                              AF since 1st Sep 2012
                              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Thanks for that, Allan!
                                I just watched the scary sugar doc. Nosugar posted. I don't want to give up. I won't give up! Just have to get through that day 1 again. Actually the first week--
                                I need a new plan. My goal today..

Comment

Working...
                                X