Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Hi,SBL

I decided to have a pistachio paste-filled meringue cookie at a party Sat. night. I could tell that it tasted good but it seemed way too sweet and I didn't really enjoy it like I thought I would. Kind of disappointing in a way but nice that it did not set me up to eat a bunch of junk or consider drinking.

I guess with time, we really can change our taste buds!

Comment

I've actually been having actual DREAMS about eating donuts! Haha I wake up feeling guilty but then realize it was just a dream...whew. That being said, I am going to have actual reality-based donuts and cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. Like 10 of them. That's a fact. Haha

Comment

I found a new way to indulge in ice cream in a healthy way, and pretty tasty, too! Low calorie, healthy-ish, and basically no sugar.

So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Frozen Desserts | No Sugar Added Chocolate

and also So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Frozen Desserts | Minis No Sugar Added Fudge Bars

Between these and the 85% cacao dark chocolate with peanut buter, I've got my sweet tooth craving pretty well covered now in what I think is a pretty healthy way. Keep in mind these have between 2 to 5 grams of 'sugar alcohol', if that's a concern to you.

Comment

Nice Recipe Skull,

where does the sugar alcohol come from?
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Glad you asked, Allan. The actual nutrition facts are there on the pages that I linked to, but the sugar alcohol in question is ethyritrol- info below. Not really a healthy food per se but better than sugar, in a pinch.

There's info here Is Sugar Alcohol Bad For You? - BuiltLean and also this, from Mark's Daily Apple-

"Erythritol – Glycemic Index of 0

Erythritol is almost non-caloric (0.2 calories per gram) and about 60-70% as sweet as sugar. It’s the only sugar alcohol that doesn’t appear to cause gastrointestinal distress (because the body absorbs it rather than let it pass to the colon for fermentation), it doesn’t affect blood sugar or insulin, and it cannot be fermented by dental bacteria (and it exhibits some of xylitol’s inhibitory effect on carie-causing oral bacteria, though not all of it).

For the most part, erythritol seems pretty safe, and it’s rumored to taste very similar to sugar. Overconsumption – taking in more than your body can absorb – can result in bloating and gastrointestinal distress, but it takes a lot.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/#ixzz2n8bodyht"

Is Sugar Alcohol Bad For You? - BuiltLean

Comment

Also this is a good article

Erythritol - Like Sugar Without The Calories. Too Good to be True?

Also, from what little I've been able to find online, sugar alcohols are chemically different and distinct from ethanol, which is the drunk-inducing alcohol we, as drunks, need to be concerned with. Thus, it should be perfectly safe for both sobriety and antabuse.

Comment

I thought this thread had disappeared from the recent posts. I had to search to resurrect it.

How's everyone going?

Comment

Sugar free since quitting that is refined sugar and anything with it. My source of sugars are fruits and very limited bread and of course lactose from my morning yoghurt and post workout milk....

Vy

Comment

im posting here as im sure a few people have researched the sugar thing quite thoroughly and maybe have some thoughts about this.
                    im diabetic, controlled with insulin injections. this means that my blood sugar levels are totally controlled by how much insulin I inject. from what I gather all carbohydrates break down into simple sugars.
                    the ideal blood sugar level is between 4 and 8 (this is uk measurement, I think u.s. and other countries use a different scale). my readings can fluctuate between eg. 20 and 3. obviously I try and keep much better control than this, during an average day would be more like between 4 and 14 which is still a greater range than non diabetics. I just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how this may affect my drinking issues/cravings etc. I cant say ive noticed any correlation between my blood sugar and my drinking urges.
                    i think there is only one other insulin dependant diabetic here on the boards so i haven't really been able to talk it through. i think there a few sugar experts on this thread who maybe able to shed some light on my confusion.
                    i think im rambling here but what i am thinking is that it appears that it is the sugar spikes and lows that is said to affect alcohol cravings and for me i can have the sugar spikes and lows without actually consuming sugar, as i can get the same spikes just by not getting my insulin dose right.
                    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Here's a good summary of why we're better off without chemically processed foods: 9 Ways That Processed Foods Are Slowly Killing People

Comment

Did anyone have luck with L-Glutamine?

P.S. is this thread dead and using the other one as the main NS thread?

Comment

Londoner, I'm having L glut - the powder this time and it seems to wok for me, amongst other supplements...

Comment

I also take it - I THINK it works to stop craving for suger .
                            But somtimes I over-ride it ( the lack of craving ) and just go for it
                            Do the same with appetite - as in eat when not particularly hungry !!:upset:

Comment

Great to hear guys....

L-glut is also meant to be good for the gut. I believe a leaky gut is the cause of a lot of health problems.

Comment

I'm finding this website interesting, thought I'd pop this into the thread for comment...

The Importance of Sugar in the Human Body

Comment

Working...
                                X