X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 3 - still going ............
    This is harder than the fecking grog :egad:

Because it's EVERYWHERE and can be eaten in secret - nobody will know
    I won't fall over after a chocolate bar .....
    I won't talk shite after a muffin ....
    won't get a dreadful hangover after a sneaky dessert eaten in the fridge door...........

Comment

It is harder in a way, Satz, because we can't stop eating entirely (and sugar in one form or another is in SO many foods). It isn't that difficult (logistically anyway) not to drink alcohol.

Because fructose doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, the tell-tale signs of too much alcohol aren't obvious to everyone. Sneaking would be easier. BUT - alcohol and fructose have similar negative effects on other body parts. Plus, I did have that awful post-sugar crash when I ate high sugar/carb foods like donuts for breakfast or pasta for lunch. Not as bad as a hangover but very unpleasant and I love not feeling that way anymore.
      Great job sticking with it! I promise it gets easier and easier with time. The 30 day approach works pretty well for this, too. xx, NS

Comment

I had a friend at work who took me to the wards staff kitchen and they had had a bake off. well how could i refuse a marshmallow slice topped with chocolate and a love heart biscuit? i so could not hurt his feelings sigh. today i made sure i had my l-glut and am doing ok. I dont mind some sugar but not to the excess i was having it. Yep sounds like my old al intake Satz and my justifying it. lol. Doing well though and i feel better in myself.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Re: The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

I had no problem quitting anything with sugar as I go cold turkey. However, I can eat heaps of good foods and have protein powder on hand which may not be good for overweight people. I'm 6'3" slender .Def L-glut can stop alcohol cravings and also food cravings as well and have some in my quit toolkit

Comment

I am still going strong, taken another small step and have switched my diet to suit my goals.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
              I am still going strong, taken another small step and have switched my diet to suit my goals.
              Which are ? Do share Mr Mario !!

Comment

I am going - maybe not as strong as Mario. I am still having the odd slip up.
                Like yesterday out with MrS & mother we had a cheesecake for dessert and 3 spoons

Not ideal - but I'm very aware now of how much sugar I take and the damage it can do.
                Small steps
                Going to doctor for full hormone profile tomorrow. All 7 hormones that can impact metabolism - (mine is f*cked)
                Let's see ..........

Comment

I mrs satz is cutting down on portions, I now eat of smaller plates so I deceive my eyes :-) & spread out the smaller portions through out the day, maximum four but three if I get away with it with out doing my self damage. tis the plan.

Comment

She's a bit annoying but talks sense :
                    YouTube

Comment

She is pretty chipper, isn't she ?? But she does talk sense! She has a great program at Indiana University where they're ignoring medical dogma and truly helping people with obesity and diabetes.

Comment

Still plodding.
                        Keep falling off the sugar-free wagon. Not in a sense of munching chocolate or obvious sugary food - but scoffing bags of nuts with dried fruit.
                        'Healthy sugar' .... in my warped mind :haha:
                        Not the worst thing but it's keeping the taste for sugar going.......

Comment

Well, if that's the "worst" thing you're doing, Satz, I hope you're not being too hard on yourself :hug:. When I eat commercial trail mix, I add extra nuts to 'dilute' all the dried fruit (which must be cheaper than nuts because there sure seems to be more fruit than nuts in there!!).

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                            Still plodding.
                            Keep falling off the sugar-free wagon. Not in a sense of munching chocolate or obvious sugary food - but scoffing bags of nuts with dried fruit.
                            'Healthy sugar' .... in my warped mind :haha:
                            Not the worst thing but it's keeping the taste for sugar going.......
                            Well satz its a start, Do you remember how you stopped drinking alcohol satz, Well what I have done is changed the sweet things in my life into an alcohol image, every can of coke is a vodka & coke & for the seconds that it takes to make up my mind in wethere to have a sweet thing or not, I say to myself that will poison me. That me plan & with some walking & cycling I doing good & feel even better.

Comment

I am being hard on myself NS.
                              It's the binging aspect that is scary - reminiscent of the grog. One taste and I'm off..... for the day.

And yes Mario - I appear to be tackling sugar like the booze. I didn't exactly go cold turkey straight away.
                              I had a few returns to booze until I got totally sick of it. And then stopped.
                              I think I'm heading that way with sugar.......... :thumbs:

Comment

That's it Satz, Change how you think of sweet things, They are The enemy.

Comment

Working...
                                X