No announcement yet.

The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Good call on the veg oils, [MENTION=18464]JackieM[/MENTION]!

Comment

BIG fail on January 3rd sugar -free .... too much sugar laden food still knocking around.
      MrS & I have agreed eat or throw out everything over this weekend and be ready for January 7th with Pav .....

arthritis as Kuya and @Ginger999 mentioned, and even irritability abate or disappear.
      [MENTION=16547]kuya[/MENTION] will you be all airy fairy now ?:haha:

Comment

I also re-joined DietDoctor.com 2 weeks ago. Great website.

Comment

Need to check out dietdoctor.com.

What oils do you recommend? I only use a good quality olive oil but I'm willing to change to something else, if there's a recommendation.
          Last edited by Ginger999; January 5, 2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Check in, not so good this evening. This is hard.
            My mothers lovely Christmas cake was still on display (now moved) and I can't throw it out!
            Will focus on being indifferent, as [MENTION=18464]JackieM[/MENTION] mentioned.
            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
              Check in, not so good this evening. This is hard.
              My mothers lovely Christmas cake was still on display (now moved) and I can't throw it out!
              Will focus on being indifferent, as [MENTION=18464]JackieM[/MENTION] mentioned.
              Eat it all before Monday - and join me Mers ....

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger999 View Post
                What oils do you recommend? I only use a good quality olive oil but I'm willing to change to something else, if there's a recommendation.
                Hi, Ginger. I mostly use OO, too, but not for cooking at high temperatures (eg stir frys). Then I use a more saturated fat like animal fat (ghee, tallow, lard, duck fat) or, the one that would work for you, coconut oil.

Comment

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]- any change is hard at first. I think giving up sugar is like the first few days of giving up alcohol. There are physical as well as mental hurdles to jump
                  Hopefully you can power through and start to feel better physically. After the positive physical effects kick in it becomes easier to stay away. [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]- I think every quit/diet I have started was proceeded by a binge-like I had to have one last hurrah before I straightened out. Moderation has never been my thing.
                  Last edited by JackieM; January 5, 2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I forgot to say I use coconut oil. Thanks for the reminder, NS. I see avacado oil at Trader Joe's and Costco. What do you guys know about that? Sadly, I read the label on my favorite vegan butter-like spread. Full of veg oils and palm oil! Luckily, I rarely use much but still. I've been asleep at the wheel! Another good food day though as far as processed/sugar goes. Here's to another!

Comment

[MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]- I use avocado oil. I have read some good things about red palm oil but have never used it. I know there are sustainability issues with some forms of palm oil. Until recently, I never bothered to read about different oils,where they come from, or how they are processed. I used canola oil but never stopped to ask myself, "What the heck is canola?". I also never thought of asking "How is oil derived from non fatty sources (corn, soy, etc.)?". I have a lot to learn on the matter. Avocado, olive, palm, coconut, and macadamia nut oils seem to make more sense (to me) because they are coming from a fatty source. Just my thoughts.
                      Good work on keeping the sugar and processed food out of your diet. I feel much better when I stick with that plan.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                        Eat it all before Monday - and join me Mers ....
                        your on.

Growing rapeseed had become really popular over here (and the yellow fields look beautiful), so Ive been using that a lot of late. Just had a google there and its the same family as canola oil [MENTION=18464]JackieM[/MENTION]..
                        Last edited by IamMary; January 6, 2019, 06:08 PM.
                        AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

I hope things are going well for the 7 January starters. The most practical thing I can suggest is not to let a mistake become a binge (even to the point of spitting out what you thoughtlessly popped into your mouth - it is empowering, much like tipping a bottle of wine down the sink).

Canola got its new name, [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION], to increase the marketability of the unfortunately named ‘rape’ in N. America. That, and an aggressive marketing campaign have worked! It is higher in monounsaturated fats, like olive oil is, compared with corn or soy oil and has some omega-3 fatty acids in it, but it still is pretty high in omega-6 fatty acids. Plus, all unsaturated oils oxidize over time, and especially at high heat. The saturated fats are safer in that regard.

I had linked to a talk about carb addiction awhile ago. He just released the next one concerning emotional resilience. He raises some interesting points to consider for any type of addiction.

Have a good one!

Comment

Hello to the sugar-free peeps!!

NS - I've been meaning for some time to ask you a question about honey. I don't eat sugar and as much as I can, avoid foods with added sugar. However, I do bake my own muffins and make my own granola-type bars but I use honey. I had read that it is absorbed into the system as sugar is, EXCEPT when you eat it with foods high in fibre such as whole-wheat flour etc. I only use WW flour as I prefer the taste. I was wondering if what I read is true. Is it okay to substitute honey for the sweetener in these kinds of foods? As for veggie oils - living in Greece, I mainly use EVOO but I do use coconut oil in baking. Any comments on those would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
                            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Look forward to NS's response here. Thank you for letting us pick your brain, NS. Your wisdom is much appreciated.

Yesterday was another good eating day. Most noticeable is the feeling in my gut. The bloat is gone. That alone should remind me sugar/refined carbs are not my friend!

Comment

Finished my pizza and ice cream last night. Day One for me...

Comment

Working...
                                X