Extreme thirst...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme thirst...

I am 40, drank 1-2 bottles of wine for 20 years. Now I rarely drink for the past 2 months. When I drink, no more than 2 glasses of wine.

The reason I decided to do something about my drinking was because I noticed my right upper abdominal pain, weird smelling urine, and extreme thirst, easy bruising, all could be signs and symptoms of liver failure.

I am needle phobic, so I haven't had blood checked for over 8 years now.

I thought quitting drinking would help. But my liver has been hurting less, my bruising and urine problems better. My thirst is still really bad.

Anyone has experienced this or any suggestions (I will work up my courage to get my blood checked first thing next year)?

Or do you think it's just diabetes? (I'm 30 lb. over weight too)
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Extreme thirst...

My first thought is you should get checked for diabetes. Whatever the results you can take action accordingly. People have dealt with diabetes through lifestyle and nutrition changes which would include supplements. Their nutritionists tell you to use artificial sweeteners. Buyer beware.
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Extreme thirst...

"just diabetes"?!?!?! get thee to the dr. now alky!!!! you need to suck up your fear of needles, this is much scarier. sorry to be so blunt, but wow.
      10-06-2012

Comment

Extreme thirst...

Ally - sorry friend but you do need to go get checked right away. It could be nothing but if it's diabetes, that is serious. It shouldn't be left untreated. :l:l You can squeeze my hand while they poke you.:l
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Extreme thirst...

You really should get checked, you can buy clinistix in our pharmacies, which check for glucose, protein, blood and various conditions in urine. If you can't yet face a blood test at least you would know if you have diabetes by testing. You are risking your health for the sake of a simple test, not worth the worry. I know how awful needle phobia is, but if you explain there are lots of things that can be done to overcome it. There is an anasthetic cream that will numb the injection site, small needles that you barely feel. Please see your doctor.

Comment

Extreme thirst...

Allie, I had weeks of thirst when I did my first round of AF time, and I was thinking the same thing about diabetes because my brother had just been diagnosed. We put our bodies through so much with the alcohol abuse. Are you drinking lots of water? Here in the states, the furnace is now on as well, so that makes me more thirsty. Maybe try ice water and see if it helps. I, also, think if we are drinking soda or taking in a lot of sugary foods to replace the sugar from the alcohol that can bring about thirst. Those have been some of my culprits.

I like Paula's idea of the OTC kit. I didn't know such a thing existed. What a great idea. As far as your needle phobia, have you thought about taking something to relax you before you go? Have someone drive you and ask if you can lie down when they do the draw. I'm over my phobia now, but years ago I had it bad. I always passed out on the poor techs. lol
            Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Extreme thirst...

I dont have diabetes, well that I know of, but I too was very thirsty right after I quit for a while. Thats when I started my Seltzer water and cut up lemons/limes.

It seemed to go away after a while.
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Extreme thirst...

Thanks, guys! I love that clinix urine test! I'll go get one right now. I used to work at a clinic where they drew my blood so my "friends" just sat on me, tied me down, and jabbed that needle in me. Since I moved, I don't have such good friends any more!

Good to know I'm not the only one w this extreme thirst problem.
                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
                X