One Step at a Time - December 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Gal Pals, when should we set up our Thelma and Louise movie and chat time? T&L does have a fair amount of drinking. If that would bother anyone wecan choose another movie but I just love those crazy butt kickin' women. Is everyone done with family so we could do this? Im thinking rent the movie from net flicks or on demand and " ready set go" and chat. It could be a hoot.
    Thoughts?
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

I still have family, they leave Tuesday. I still need to check Redbox as soon as I get a minute to myself.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Beautiful Sunday all is well.
        AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
        As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Frequent Traveler;1434789 wrote: Beautiful Sunday all is well.
          Beautiful Sunday here too. :l
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Went over to dads to pick up his snow blower...bigger than ours....looked through some papers and that always brings up memories and urges...as we were driving home I was thinking that dh is oblivious to the fact that as he is talking to me I am thinking about stopping for a bottle of wine....argh....did not but frustrating still....
            Dottie
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Juja: Dottie>I detect you're betwixt and between. Yep u got it....want to drink so badly but also dont want to go back there....sign.....I am hanging in....
              Dottie
              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie Belle;1434968 wrote: Juja: Dottie>I detect you're betwixt and between. Yep u got it....want to drink so badly but also dont want to go back there....sign.....I am hanging in....
                Dottie

When I read you saying "between", it reminded me of something I read a few years back. This is something that really helped me understand a stage of my recovery that felt like I wasn't going anywhere... especially forward. Maybe someone here might find this helpful on their journey too.
                It's from the book The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie:

In Between

Sometimes, to get from where we are to where we are going, we have to be willing to be in between.

One of the hardest parts of consciousness work is the concept of letting go of what is old and familiar, but what we don't want, and being willing to stand with our hands empty while we wait for God to fill them.

This may apply to feelings. We may have been full of hurt and anger. In some ways, these feelings may have become comfortably familiar. When we finally face and relinquish our grief, we may feel empty for a time. We are in between pain and the joy of serenity and acceptance.

Being in between can apply to relationships. To prepare ourselves for the new, we need to first let go of the old. This can be frightening. We may feel empty and lost for a time. We may feel all alone, wondering what is wrong with us for letting go of the proverbial bird in hand, when there is nothing in the bush.

Being in between can apply to many areas of life and recovery. We can be in between jobs, careers, homes, or goals. We can be in between behaviors as we let go of the old and are not certain what we will replace it with. This can apply to behaviors that have protected and served us well all of our life, such as caretaking and controlling.

We may have many feelings going on when we're in between: spurts of grief about what we have let go of or lost, and feelings of anxiety, fear, and apprehension about what's ahead. These are normal feelings for the in between place. Accept them. Feel them. Release them.

Being in between isn't fun, but it's necessary. It will not last forever. It may feel like we're standing still, but we're not. We're standing at the in between place. it's how we get from here to there. It is not the destination.

We are moving forward, even when we're in between.

Today, I will accept where I am as the ideal place for me to be. If I am in between, I will strive for the faith that this place is not without purpose, that it is moving me toward something good.
                AF 6 years
                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Thanks Angel....
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

nurdl;1434723 wrote: Hey Gal Pals, when should we set up our Thelma and Louise movie and chat time? T&L does have a fair amount of drinking. If that would bother anyone wecan choose another movie but I just love those crazy butt kickin' women. Is everyone done with family so we could do this? Im thinking rent the movie from net flicks or on demand and " ready set go" and chat. It could be a hoot.
                    Thoughts?
                    Do what?!?! I was going to check it out of the library, and stick it in the DVD player! Oh, my I think you all are beyond me. :H:H:H:H:H:H
                    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Fallen Angel,

Thank you for the post. I am in the in between place in most parts of my life right now. I've called it hanging on, treading water, or in a holding pattern, but your post gave where I am in life a more positive definition.

I'm going to copy and paste on my desktop for reference.

Juja:l
                      "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Juja - DVD works too, lol. Just starting it at about the same time and chatting while it's on.
                        we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Will this holiday ever end? I'm still f-ing exhausted and I've hit my togetherness limit.

Comment

Get this, nurdl: My dh didn't want to do anything for New Year's Eve. Yesterday, he informs me he's asked his mother out to dinner, and that I needn't feel obligated to go.

Since when does a husband ask his mother out to dinner for New Year's Eve without consulting his wife, who had suggested/hoped for a quiet get together with a few friends?

I was tying this into your holiday vent, but I do believe it's a relationship problem.

The more I think about it, the more pissed I become.

Comment

hi peeps
                              overslept..thus late check in
                              I am ready for the holidays to be over too...have obligatory trip to Mom's tonight for dinner and fireworks.....as some of you know my relationship with Mom can be A BIT TOUCH...
                              Juja - I would be livid.....you need to confront him...that is just plain mean
                              going to read back......
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Fallen - I love it!! It speaks to me right now.
                                I had six months sober under my belt and drank over the holdiays. It has helped me realize I cannot drink. Period. End of story.But I was sort of "between".......I would think, "maybe someday" and stuff like that....
                                thank you
                                am I the only one working today???
                                and can someone please tell me if I am about to fall off a fiscal cliff??
                                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                                X