Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Losers

Phin:
    how lucky you have a boss who is a trainer! But gosh, that's awfully difficult schedule to follow w that strict diet and training. Is he all muscular and fit? Are you going to follow his suggestions?

I have good news! My blood work was all normal! Normal liver enzymes! I was imagining my liver was hurting from the alcohol abuse but here is the proof that I'm just a hypochondriac like my husband says i am !!!
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Weight Losers

I think I said that already missy!

Basically he was saying you should be doing interval training... sort of. Mixing cardio with strength training. Although, interval is more rigorous than what he told you.

Just before my wedding I had a pretty nice body for 4' 11 3/4 "! (11 years and several inches ago!).

My pre-wed strategywas to lift weights in the am before work for 15 minutes. After work I walked 3 brisk miles with the dog.

I firmly believe in lifting weights or strength training for weight loss. Makes your muscles burn even in resting mode. Now THAT'S easy weight loss!

Also, I've heard tjat eating more calories on one day, then less the next few days, then more the next day, is helpful. Can't remember what they call this.
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Weight Losers

Phin and rainy day:

Ok: so once I get my treadmill, would it be ok to start w 10 min walk on it. Then lift weight 5 min? How weight would you recommend for someone who is just beginning and very out of shape?
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Weight Losers

Honestly, aalthough my husband says this won't get a person anywhere - bnut he's overweight, so he can't talk!, I'd start with 2 to 3 lb weights. You'll know when you can increase the weight.

I'd say walk 10 minutes, but even then, increase your speed, decrease your speed, etc.

Then do some weight lifting. Do triceps - lift arms up with weights, bend them back towards your back, lift them back. Do about 10 times. Then do biceps - bend elbows so weights are at your chin, palms facing you, bend elbows down, lift up. I'm sure you've seen these before? Are they called tricep and bicep curls?

But you don't want to work the same muscles two days in a row.

This is why I am really liking the DVDs. Takes the guess work out of which moves I should be doing.

I used to have plenty of time to look exercises up, like pre-marriage. I had abs, thighs, arms, back, etc... strength exercises for all those different muscles, and I could easily switch out which exercises I was doing depending on the day. I just don't have time to come up with my own routine anymore, and I lost that old routine (a 5 page printout buried somewhere following 11 years of marriage!)
          I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Weight Losers

Sounds easy enough. I think I will do that and alternate the muscle groups like you said. Thanks. Good advice, rainy day.
            Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Weight Losers

Yes, now I recall you did tell me that! That's what I do....Ally, I do chest and triceps on one day, then legs, then next day, then back and biceps, then technically shoulders--which I DESPISE! Each followed by maybe 20-25mins on the treadmill on a steeper incline. That's another way to ramp things up is to walk on a higher incline. I find it does more work on my bum and quads which is what I want to burn as they are my biggest muscle groups.

What will be hard for me is theeating part. It seems so much! He said that so often people don't see a change in weight or a plateau and they figure they need to eat less and amp up the cardio which in fact makes people gain weight. It honetly goes against my thinking of past, but it makes total sense. So, we will try to eat more food, and no carbs after 3pm!

Comment

Weight Losers

i was reading around yesterday about metabolism and alcohol,a few of the articles say that alcohol increases metabolism and weight loss cuz of thermogenisis,maybe thats why i always ran hot when drinking and was thin,who knows its all confusing to me
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Weight Losers

Ally, I'm not sure where you live, but I have cable TV channels that have workouts in them. You could also google something like 20 minute workout or full body workout and find one that works all your muscle groups in one workout. If you are just starting I wouldn't worry about doing different muscle groups on alternate days yet. Find a good 20 - 30 minute workout that works all the major muscle groups (chest/back, abs, bis/tris, shoulders, and legs/butt) and do it every other day. Start off with small weights and work up to heavier ones.

Decide what your goals are. Do you want to build muscle mass? Then do heavier weights for 8-10 reps. Do you want to tone your muscles and not gain much mass? The do lighter weights for 12-15 reps. Regardless, your last 2 reps should be challenging. If they're not then your weight is too light. If you can't even get to 8 or 12, then your weight is too heavy. Don't forget to write down what weight you use for each exercise and how many reps you do, so you know for next time.
                  Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Weight Losers

Siren:

I want the senior version of exercise; basically: just to get my heart pumping a little, my muscles to move so they don't atrophy... I don't plan on running marathons or enter body building contest, just want to climb upstairs without huffing and puffing. And be able to carry grocery bags without asking for my husband's help.

I'm the first to admit that I'm lazy and I need to change my lifestyle. I have changed some: alcohol, eating less, looking into yoga, spirituality. So next thing is easing into this new lifestyle of light workout.

Buying a treadmill is a big investment. You guys have no idea how much you are helping me. I feel like every time I tell you something I am making a promise that I have to keep.

So... When the treadmill comes I will start doing some slow walk, later incline. But I will work on some biceps and triceps tonight....
                    Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Weight Losers

So good catching up with my ladies here! Great advice Siren! Alley... I think you are doing splendid! I love your mitivation! It keeps me going! Phin... brat... get to eat more! LOL

Pauly... you crack me up with almost any of your posts! Love ya!

I had a bad evening with my 7 year old. She's very stubborn and has had some major tantrums the past 6 months. If I were drinking tonight, dinner wouldn't have been an issue, I'd eat heartedly. But tonight I had no appetite. Still forced myself to finish my bowl of homemade chili just because I didn't want to save it OR throw it out!

So I'm sick with being too stuffed!

Comment

Weight Losers

Morning!!!! Well it's 5:47am here and I've been at work for just over a half hour. Thank god tomorrow is a sleep in day! I love love love my sleep!

Rainy-I have three girls, 2 of which are teenagers! I totally hear you! Drinking, I'd either scream my head off of ignore them completely. Now I have to deal with them!!! Lol. And yes, I will eat more, Mom! Lmao! It's so hard though. To totally switch you ways and thinking but I guess things that are good aren't meant to be easy!

Pauly-I imagine we're all different when it comes to the weight loss/gain when it comes to drinking. I drank beer so I was always bloated, puffy and snacking. I've always had a weight issue so I would be the gainer! Lol

Ally-dont sweat anything. Buying the treadmill is the first step, using it will be the next. Start off slow, anything will be beneficial if you're used to not doing anything. So it's all good. The jumping jacks are awesome! I have so much jiggle I can't do them. It's nasty!

Siren-awesome advice! How's things?

How's everyone else doing? Even if you aren't exercising check in and say hi!!!

Comment

Weight Losers

Things are great, Phin, thanks!! I had a 2 hour spin class last night. It's my second since being AF and it's the first time I really wanted to attack the ride instead of just get through it. Paying for it slightly today but it's a good feeling. I wanted to run this morning, but not sure it's going to happen. My knees are sore from Wednesday night's krav class so I may give myself permission to skip the run. I might go for a swim this evening. It gets me out of the house and away from the temptation that is Friday nights.

How's the rest of the 'team-in-training"?
                          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Weight Losers

Good Morning. I stayed up way too late chicken pecking at my smart phone on MWO. Don't they make keyboards you can attach?! Argh!

Sleepy, but not hungover, always a good thing!

I didn't work out last night. My oldest was sick, so we didn't go to the neighbors. I had a low tire, and didn't think I knew how to use the dang air thingie at the gas station. Turns out I knew how to use it too much! I "wobbled" over there with a low tire, then wobbled over to my parents house to pick up my kids with an over-filled tire! Thank God for my Dad, at 74, he's my Godsend... he checked all my tires, and I was good to go, but it was late.

Then got home and was fuming over my husband's attempt to hide the fact that he bought booz even though he said so enthusiastically that he was quitting yesterday. yeah right. I knew all the signs he bought, then I smelled it. Then I found it.

Checked the bottle this morning, and though it was a small 750ml bottle whisky, it was 3/4ths empty.

ANYWAY! Wish I had the feeling you had this morning Siren! Great job on the spin class! Sometimes the aftermath pain feels "good"!

Ally - how ya doing this morning?

Hope all my little workout buddies are doing splendid!

Phin - you are funny! Why don't you try nuts or another high fat snack? Avocados? Fatty fish? Then you are also getting lots of omega 3s! Great for body and soul!

Comment

Weight Losers

jeez siren,a 2 hr spin class!?! i think id die,hey rainey dont be to upset with your hubs,at least the bottle wasnt empty right? check in later,bye
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Weight Losers

Ha ha.. yes, Pauly, you're right!

Just curious now... will he buy more to supplement tonight, or will he settle for not getting drunk and just drink the little bit?

I thought the same about the 2 hour spin to be honest! I think I'd be dizzy!

Comment

Working...
                                X