X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread Thursday 6th December

Good morning, Army

Spuddy, eh Arsey? :H:H:H:H

A guy here in Saffaland has written a series of books about a boy who wins a scholarship to a posh school - the boy was nicknamed Spud as well. The 1st book was made into a movie starring John Cleese (amongst others). Here's a little write-up, also explaining where the nickname comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_(film)

Anyhoo... I was at the office before Seattle's opened, so I'm off to go and fetch my morning latte.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Good morning Tipps and all to come i'm awake since 3.30 am and cudn't get back asleep. The sleep fairy is needed so hopefully i'll get another few hours in as i don't have to go any where early today. Arsey as Spud was funny last night:H. Enjoy your latte Tipps. Have a terrific thursday army be back laters some time.

Comment

:hiya: Troops.

Well, Tips and Foxy, it is VERY BRRRRRR here up in Stireberia. Minus a big number, like, it's more than 5.

Thank you for the Spud Film info. So he was called Spud because he hadn't experienced puberty, I see. Well, I was called Spud cos one kid gave me that name when I was about 10. I asked why. He said: "cos your head looks like a potato"

Cos me head looks like a what?!?!

Still, I liked it as a nickname when I was a kid.

Small coincidence - if you can call it that - is that in the Spud Film, he befriends someone called Gecko. I like Gecko's. So much so, that I have one tattooed on to me body. And I wrote a play about me and a Gecko that went traveling round the States together in an old jalopy.

Comment

Morning guys, freezing here also, spud thats a cool nickname, Ive had quite a few over the years many unspeakable as my mates had a crude sense of humour and the gay lads used to call me the lesbian, lol, they would literally phone my house and say is the lesbian in, lol, the cheeky buggers
        I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
        Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Speaking of nicknames, my brother is called Dermot. So his friends called him a whole variety of names (none that he minded, think he liked them) including "Kermit the Frog". One afternoon a few of his friends chapped on our door. Mother answered. One kid said "Is Door Mat in?

Boy did mother go red in the face.

She also HATED how our aunts and cousins would pronounce his name DerMOT, as opposed to Dermit.

Again, red raging face syndrome from mother. :H

Comment

mollyka;1422689 wrote: I do like 'Spud' as a nickname, but like you say Pinky, I think an awful lot of nicknames can be based on cruelty. Adam was called 'Plug' when he was a little guy, cos his ears and teeth stuck out (anyone old enuff to remember the Beano??) and my name here - Molly, is actually my family nickname - but 'twas also based on a bit of cruelty. My sisters were yonks older than me and when they got married and had babies they used to call me 'old spinster Auntie Molly' - and it stuck! Don't mind it now, but 'twas cruel - as was yours Pinky ---- no excuses for that:l
            i think my nickname was just the gay lads messing about i never took it to heart, they were cheeky buggers but I am a bit cheeky too, so it all worked

Isn't it funny how nicknames stick and as were older sometimes we keep them, yeha kids can be cruel, poor adam, i bet hes turned into a right young handsome man
            I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
            Audrey Hepburn

Comment

mollyka;1422689 wrote: I do like 'Spud' as a nickname, but like you say Pinky, I think an awful lot of nicknames can be based on cruelty. Adam was called 'Plug' when he was a little guy, cos his ears and teeth stuck out (anyone old enuff to remember the Beano??) and my name here - Molly, is actually my family nickname - but 'twas also based on a bit of cruelty. My sisters were yonks older than me and when they got married and had babies they used to call me 'old spinster Auntie Molly' - and it stuck! Don't mind it now, but 'twas cruel - as was yours Pinky ---- no excuses for that:l
              Ah - but the cruelty of names, esp' at skool. There were some kids who used to call me "poof". I ignored it, but for a while in the last skool i went to (secondary) I wan't part of a clique for a couple of years and would sometimes hang out with these few guys who called me "poof" - just so I had someone to hang out with. Then, when i found a group that were more accepting and called me by my real name, the "poof" calling subsided and eventually stopped.

It is SO hurtful. I see kids I work with do it and it's hard sometimes seeing that some don't see why what they say can be detrimental.

Comment

Good morning. Off to the hospital to have my 24 hr BP machine removed then take MR A back to his hospital. Got someone sorted for the the grandchildren. New baby is gorgeous and I think her name is going to be Grace.

Whatsup Molly?

Catch you all later

Comment

Running courage: that kind of nickname can be hurtful if its unwanted and can cause so much pain. I was lucky i soppouse cause i didnt mind too much and i was a lesbian, so it didnt hurt, but i know some kids that would hate it and could really hurt their feelings
                  Audrey Hepburn

Comment

morning mrs a grace that sounds lovely, u not feeling very well?
                    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Morning, still feeling terrible,It seems this has/is been a bad year for me health wise.Maybe payback time for all the years of abuse ?

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

aww mario hope u feel better soon
                        Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Morning all jeez do yous not sleep...Rabsy it gets better..Sud to Gecko...now tattyheid :H:H
                          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

morning mick
                            Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Hiya little pinkcat...bit hill billy up here this mornin..Molls sent you a pm yest did you get it?
                              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Working...
                              X