Going To Rehab For Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be entering a rehabilitation facility for alcohol and drug abuse on December 29th. I am ready to go but I am scared that when I get out I will relapse. Any suggestions or stories to share?

Hi Roz

I am a little envious of you in a way. I've often thought that rehab would be nice, though I have not researched it enough to see what my insurance will cover.

I hope you are able to listen and learn during your stay, and emerge with the determination and resolve and tools that you need to succeed.

Take care

Comment

Hi, Roz.

A year ago at this time I was in a 28 day rehab program. I'd gotten a second DUI in six months, and as totally broken. I loved rehab, and I took it very seriously and did everything I was told to do. I have to say that I was one of the few who did, actually. I stayed sober for about six and a half months before I relapsed. I first said that I'd had a slip, but the slip made it easier to have more "slips," and I was back to drinking almost as much as I had before going to rehab. I'd get five days, seven days, even 22 days in August. Then back to hell. I am now on day 15 AF, after knowing I'd just had enough. I kind of lived in a feeling of being trapped with no driver's license and maybe even unworthy of being AF. Sounds crazy, but I still had trouble accepting my DUIs and truly forgiving myself again. I had learned to do that in rehab, but lost that feeling because of my drinking.

The rehab I went to was based on the 12 step model, and I was even able to got through the first five or six steps while there. Enjoyed most of the AA meetings we had and met some great people. I went to AA faithfully for five months after I got home, but started working and couldn't go much, and then just grew apart from it. But it helped me through those first months. Now I rely on this site for help and support.

I think that if you are ready to quit drinking, rehab will be a life changing experience. Even though I relapsed, rehab did change my life, and if I'd done what I know I should have done, I would not have relapsed. I hope your experience will be a good one. Are you in the states? Please PM me if you want more details. This was a private pay facility, but much less expensive than most and still a quality place.
      "One day at a time."

Comment

Working...
      X