Let's Talk Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Talk Real

I'm 56 years old and am so sick of drinking. I have a problem and can't stop on my own.
    I attempted a sober life by reading the book "My Way Out" (about 7 years ago) and that's where I discovered this website. The comments and conversations on this website helped me for awhile but I gave up and went on my merry way of drinking.

After several years and boughts with drinking, (embarrassing incidents that I never want to experience again in my life) I have decided that I can't do it on my own and need treatment. About 1 month ago, I researcherd drug and alcohol rehabiltation facilities and found one that takes my insurance - thank god! I will be entering this facility on Decemeber 29th. It's not a plosh place - like the celebrity "Betty Ford Clinic", but it's a place where I can basically not drink for a month. I'm a teacher with over a hundred sick days- these are sick day well used! Yes, I'm scared, but I feel at my age this is my last resort.

I want to come back from this facility and share my experiences with you on MYO and also reach out for guidance because I know I will need it.

If anyone is in the same situation as I am, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks & Happy Holidays

Let's Talk Real

Hi Roz, and welcome back!

This sounds like a brilliant plan. Go for it. Great to see you taking action and not accepting that hellish merry go round we all know. Keep us posted. How will you go up until that date? What will you do until then to keep out of trouble?

Best wishes on your journey friend. G-bloke. :goodjob:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Let's Talk Real

Well, I am trying to "cut" down on my drinking - yeah - right. Really - I want to stop drinking! I'm a teacher and hope that if I do conquer this addiction, I can help other people conquer theirs.

Comment

Let's Talk Real

seems like alot of teachers drink alot
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Let's Talk Real

paulywogg;1423773 wrote: seems like alot of teachers drink alot
          And doctors and lawyers and bricklayers and drain layers and dentists and full time mums and airline pilots and vets and librarians and students and retirees and yoga teachers and teenagers and farmers and real estate agents and nurses and footballers and businessmen and reps and .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

Comment

Let's Talk Real

How rude of me .... Welcome to MWO Roz

Tis a place where people from all walks of life can get the most amazing support to stop drinking.

I drank heavily for 23 years and have been abstainant for 3 months and it feels amazing!

You can do this.... Believe it

Comment

Let's Talk Real

We have our age in commmon along with over doing the booze. Welcome and my hat goes off to you for taking the bull by the horns and getting help beating this beast. Please keep posting and don't fall into the trap of drinking MORE as a last hurrah!! You won't be doing yourself any favours. Good luck. Can't wait to hear all about your new, sober life.
              Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
              ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Let's Talk Real

Hi, Roz... L glut powdered form helps me a lot w cravings.... Good luck and welcome back!
                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Let's Talk Real

Okay--second post I lost today ANyay, Roz, I posted on your other thread about going to rehab before I saw this one, but wanted to say that I am 59 and was a teacher for 23 years before changing careers. I was a highly functioning alcoholic at the end of my teaching career, but got less functional a few years ago. Went to a short detox/rehab almost two years ago at the advice of a LADC, and it was horrible! And my insurance rejected all but two of the eight days, and I am still paying off that bill:upset: Also did a private pay to week program a year and a half ago. But the 28 day program I did a year ago was what really halped me understand this disease and it did change my life, even though I relapsed last summer. You can read the rest on the other thread.

You'll do great! Just keep an open mind and accept all the help that comes your way!

:lTDN
                  "One day at a time."

Comment

Let's Talk Real

Hi Roz and welcome back!

Congratualations for meeting this soul sucking addiction head on. :goodjob:

I'm like you in that I found MWO about 6 years ago, made a half hearted attempt and then went on my merry drinking way as well. I am 50 now and if nothing else I have to stop so I can attend my sons 50th birthday party. He is 14 now which according to the planI willl see me as a sprightly little lady of 93 by then. :h

You might think I'm joking but I'm not! My son said he wanted me to stick around even longer but I had to put my foot down on this one: 93 and then I am outta here

You are only a few years behind so I will save you an invite!
                    Stay close and read read read read....:l
                    :h
                    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                    X