I AM STUNNED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I AM STUNNED

I just received word that my daughter-in-law was taken off life support yesterday and died.

She has struggled with alcoholism for a long time and the last I heard she had gone back to school following her divorce. She was hospitalized about 3 years ago and told that resuming alcohol would kill her. It did. Years ago she was staying with me and I signed her into detox and a recovery center and took care of her kids for the month long stay.

As far as most of us knew she was in recovery and winning the battle. My stepson who was her husband is a physician and tried many times to help. Apparently she had never stopped, her organs all shut down, was on life support and her family let her go yesterday.

She leaves behind an adult daughter, a son in college and a son in high school who are all absolutely devastated.

I've never lost anyone to alcohol abuse before, so I am shocked. She was #3 on my to do list today, I just wish I had called her sooner because she was always a delight to talk to when sober, not that I would have been able to save her, but I would have loved to hear her voice again.

So, so sad.
    Enlightened by MWO

I AM STUNNED

SKendall, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Shocking that they did not notify you about what was taking place and so sad. What a terrible terrible thing for her children. Thank you for sharing about your daughter in law here. It will touch each of us.
    ~nurdl
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

I AM STUNNED

I am so sorry....
      helps my determination not to drink
      hugs, if that helps
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I AM STUNNED

I am very sorry for your loss SK.

This is such a strong, cunning and baffling disease or affliction, whatever we call it. It takes too many good people and doesn't discriminate.

Condolences to you and your family.

Take care, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I AM STUNNED

Oh Skendell i'm so sorry for your loss i hate al i have lost people to it. I'll never give up on kicking the habit its a curse.:l

Comment

I AM STUNNED

Sorry for your loss....
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

I AM STUNNED

I am so very sorry. Thank you for sharing this. It could have been any one of us.
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I AM STUNNED

Wow SKendall, that is shocking. Somehow we always think we will get away with it. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. It's a wake up call.
                Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                November 2, 2012

Comment

I AM STUNNED

so sad SK,
                  Very sorry for your loss.
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I AM STUNNED

I am so very sorry. I know 4 people who have died from drinking, but none close to me like your daughter-in-law was to you. You have my sympathy.

Comment

I AM STUNNED

SK - so sorry to hear about this. It is so very sad.

Comment

I AM STUNNED

oh man...so sorry. what a cunning, baffling and powerful thing alcohol is. my condolences, sk.
                        10-06-2012

Comment

I AM STUNNED

Oh SK :l

I'm really so sorry. So far i have lost friendships only. Sending prayers your way.

:h
                          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I AM STUNNED

SK - I'm sorry for your loss.

I watched many of my mother's family drink themselves to death, get killed in drunken high speed car crashes, beat each other to the point of non-recognition, abuse children, go to gaol..... None of it stopped any one of them.

You'd have thought I would have known better - but I didn't........

Strength to every single one of us!
                            It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                            Mother Theresa

Comment

I AM STUNNED

SK So Sorry. AL took my best friend many yaers ago. Thinking of you :l

Comment

Working...
                              X