Doing Very Well But ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing Very Well But ....

I have been browsing this Forum and not posting much lately. Just being associated with this awesome site has had a drastic effect on my drinking habits. I hardly drink at all these days. We STOPPED making our own wine and I think that is a big help. If we want wine we have to go buy it and we are not conditioned to do this. We keep 'forgetting'. We have a lake house and we decided when we ran out of our wine that we would only buy it on the weekends we are up there (it's four season & we use it all winter). So far we are not drinking about 5 nights out of 7; that's me and hubby who basically just follows my lead.

But... there's always a but..

I have never achieved that elusive 30 days of absitnence. For some reason, I feel that if I achieved that, I could achieve any goal I set out to conquer. So, I plan on attempting and actually following through with this goal starting New Years Day.

I have no reason to believe that this is not possible except my former pattern of not achieving this goal in the many times I have attempted it.

Any advice from the masses?

To all you sensitive, honest, helpful MWO members, a heartfelt Merry Christmas and a serene, self-fulfilling 2013.

Tips xoxo:h
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Doing Very Well But ....

Don't let the past define the future.

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

Thanks, that is just what I need to hear. xo
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

What is the goal? What is it about 30 days? What happens then? Is it just a personal goal and then back to drinking?
        Do you think you are an Alcoholic? If not, why? Just asking the hard questions...because AL makes you lie...to everybody and most importantly, YOURSELF. So before anyone can offer a solution...tell us more about the problem. Thanks! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

Im with ya Tips, there seems to be something very magical about 30 days AF.

If I read your post right, sounds like you plan on moderating. As you know that is a pretty heated topic on here that I.........aint.........gonna..........touch :H

You, know, you, better than anyone and if moderation is your goal, then more power to you and good luck. It would seem that going 30 days is such a milestone many choose to start moderating after they get there, hell I even kicked around the idea, and TBO I still kick that idea around every now and then.

But I know me to well, and have a pretty good idea what might happen if I go down that road, as I have read with many others.

Only real advice I can give ya is the proverbial ODAT, surf the urger technique.....seems to be one of the best...for me anyway. I just tell myself in my inside voice........"I dont drink", and try to think of something else.

I had to say it like the little engine that could at first........I dont drink, I dont drink I dont drink.....but now I can "usually" swat the urge away like an annoying mosquito.

I wish you all the strength, knowledge, and support needed.
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

Everyone has made great points Tips. Can't remember if you've used drink tracker but worth adding a simple check in. It really is up to you and what you want. It does feel good to reach a health goal of 30 days af living. I believe you can do it.
            Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

Just got back online. I don't know how many centimetres of snow have fallen in the past two days but it's at least 35 and we've been snowed in without electricity for the past 50 hours. Everything just came on so here I am.

I am currently happy with my drinking patterns as I explained up above. If i can stick with the plan and only drink the two days a week we're up at the lake I will be happy. if I graduate and backslide to drinking half bottle of wine every day and more on the weekends, then I can call on my 30 day achievement as motivation to give up the monster if that is what it's become.

I want the thirty days to prove to myself that I can do it. I have a little problem with sticking to my plans in every area of my life. This would be a huge thing for me.

Time will tell.
              Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

So, I plan on attempting and actually following through with this goal starting New Years Day.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is weak.

Stop right this second and free yourself from the obsession and thoughts, putting things off till the new year so you can drink till then is not good..there will always be events and things coming up.

If you are not DEPENDENT on alcoHELL then 3o days will be zero problem.

Moderation and trying to cut back drinking etc just keeps the whole thing alive and is like death by a 1000 cuts.

You really have everything to gain by stopping COMPLETELY and absolutely NOTHING to lose.

The longer you go sober the better it gets, early days/weeks are different and can feel strange, grind it out...YOU can do this, do not wait any longer.
                Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Doing Very Well But ....

I'm much better at quitting than doing 30 days. I tried a few times, but after a couple of weeks, that voice would say, "what's so great about finishing 30 days?" and I would have a drink. Now I'm done, don't need to worry about this stuff. I'm glad you feel pretty good about where you are at, less alcohol is always better.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                  X