Christmas and the bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas and the bottle

I feel tempted more than ever, and those bastards at the market know it, there was no music in tesco (my local store) until i got to the the booze aisle, there was a speaker blasting out christmas songs to get people in the mood for a booze up

this is a hard time of year for abstinence, but im going for a sober and a happy 2013

commercial pressure can GTF :H

your friend... in the struggle for sanity

Christmas and the bottle

I feel ya Scottishman. I was super tempted to stop and get eggnog and wine. Hell it's Christmas right? First Christmas since my brother died. Perfect time to get smashed.

But I'm not doing that. I'm staying here with you, and we are going to be un smashed!!!
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

right on!

the pressure is all around us, we're seen as "consumers", they don't show us the poor people whose lives have been ruined with their "product"

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Can i join the un smashed party too? :H

Hey Scottie - yep, whether it's friggintescos, friggingsainsburies, friggingmorrisons.... when you're in the drinks aisles (and i don't just mean the AL ones) it's a fight for existence to get outta the store WITHOUT a bottle in our paws.

But our paws are clean

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Stay with it.......fk that starting again malarkey
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Only about 11 more days to go...all of it will be done. You've already done most of the heavy lifting...stick with it, it won't get any easier next year unless you've got one under your belt. For me, this year is 100 times easier than last year! Hang tough! We are right beside you! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Feeling the same ScottishMan - lots of calling to the booze, almost got me tonight, but luckily the lines were too long and I had enough time to second guess my decision!
              So much encouragement and glamourisation for the evil spirit, and I for one have so many customs/traditions that revolve around drinking!
              Where I live there is a 2 mile midnight PJ walk on NY eve, I have always kinda smiled thinking how can anyone do that, I am usually well snookered by 9pm never mind midnight, but this year got my girls new PJ's and we plan to be there! Will be a very different hogmanay for me indeed!
              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Oh boy, this evening has been a tough one for me too. I've been depressed, unmotivated and bored. For the first time in several months I was thinking, "why do I give a shit, who cares etc..." But I DO care and I know all of you do too. I'm on the back side of that wave now. I'm so glad all of you are here to reach out to and that you all understand!!
                Thanks,
                Ishy

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Hi Ishy :l:l Hang in......we will be thankful tomorrow morning if we can get thru tonight...
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

I also will start sober 2013...
                    No booze in xmas and New year.
                    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

ishy ..stick with it
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Hi Guys!

Nice thread!
                        I'm just going to ignore Christmas in total this year. Luckily I can. Kidz not around and my hectic year caused me to end it only in Feb 2013... So, it really does not feel like holidays and it is working great so far!

I know it is early days for me, but buying booze is such a bad experience. I feel like a criminal or that there is alcoholic written on my forehead. Then from the shop to the car hoping not to bump into anyone I know. Then from my car to the house without my stepdad seeing it. Finally in the kitchen after locking all the doors... a sip of wine! .... No thx, I'm too tired of it!!....

Keep strong!
                        12-20-2012 AF
                        Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Its really hard this time of the year - you're right, its in your face everywhere you go. I just got back from queueing in Marks & Spencers for my food order and they're even dishing out Bucks Fizz & mince pies while you're waiting!! I had a little laugh to myself though cause they're giving it out in tiny little containers....in the past that wld have been no good for me, would have wanted more, more, more!!! But now nearly 8mths AF there was certainly enough in that little container to reignite the sparks - no way was I having any of that.

Christmas messes with our minds...telling us we are missing out but fastforward to the first week in January and we soon realise we're not missing out on anything. This is my first AF Christmas....its going to be hard but I'll do it. Hang on in there.

Jason...Jason Vale where are you??

xx
                          AF since 9 May 2012
                          Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

I remind myself that drinking alcohol for those who don't have a problem or for people like me who are an alcoholic is fine. For me it would send me straight back to hell!... I'm not kidding either!!! It's poison in every frickin way for me & others who have this disease or problem imo.

With that being said I'm human & have been tempted with naughty little double holiday drinks dancing thru my head on occasion. I know I wouldn't stop at one either! But, there's no way in hell I'm going back to a dark prison again!... My chains have been broken. It's to hard to start over again. I've tested it many ~ many times. Who knows if I'd be lucky enough to survive next time.

Here in the states we have the Salvation Army that does air commercials showing the truth & destruction that it can cause to people who are addicted.

Remember the truth about yourself & what alcohol has done to you & your loved ones. Who ever said that you can't have fun or enjoy life without alcohol ~ ethanol ~ poison? You or them.

We can & we will make it if we choose!... We have each other to lean on. :h Plus there are other avenues, skills we have & are building on. We are smart people!... We don't need to throw our sobriety away over the Holidays that we've been working so hard on to achieve & keep.

Comment

Christmas and the bottle

Wildflowers;1431145 wrote: I
                              Remember the truth about yourself & what alcohol has done to you & your loved ones.
                              This is such an important fact or sentiment WF. It's so easy to forget especially now...
                              Thanks for reminding me. Stupidly had a glass of wine the other night with friends and thought...what the hell am I doing???

Not going There again the Christmas!!

:l:h
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                              X