Army Thread 31st December 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning troops and welcome to the final day of 2012.

I have very high hopes for 2013. 2012 had some good things of course, but it was quite a hard year in some respects for me and one I am not sorry to see the back of.

So do we have any New Year intentions? Mine are to get back to living wholly, to embrace my spiritual life more and to make my world bigger. Addiction has the effect of closing everything in on us and that isnt healthy for our minds/mental health and happiness.

Oh and the usuals of eating well and exercising of course

How about you?
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Morning Starty :hallo: and the rest of the barracks. And a special Hogmanay wave :hiya: to Zenny.

OOoh... the resolutions. Well, 2 years I go I said, I wanted to give up drinking a bit (a bit??!!??!!). So went 6 days AF (had never done that before) and within a week was back at my normal levels. Last year I said I'd not quit, but just cut right back, try not to drink at home... Similarly this didn't work so well, though the edge was taken off the drinking by needing to get up and run a few times a week.

This year... well with 2 short AF stints (7 weeks, and today 30 days)... I'm quietly saying "one moment at a time" I don't want to brashly shout out "2013 SOBER FOR ME!" ... as that's too big to think about. So ...

resolution one: to take my AF time, one mo at a time.

resolution two is an offshoot of one... to meet more people, get out on the hills more and do a second marathon. And eat better.

Oh, and respect myself a bit more than I do.

Comment

Morning Starty & RC

I also will be glad to say goodbye to 2012, this has been a stressful year to say the least but I know this stress could have been halved had I not run to the vino bottle, so for me 2013 is going to be looking after myself more, I saw a great quote of fb the other day,

You can't reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterdays junk!!

I have procrastinated so much this year so my goal is to stop over thinking things and just deal with everything as it comes daily and not sweep things under the carpet like I have been doing.......change is definately on the horizon for me
      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

X post morning Molly

oh and another thing I want what you've got :H:h
        Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Morning RC and Mollymoo
          You guys inspire me with your words you know.
          I think you both have very interesting takes on the New Year thing and probably much more healthy than putting another pressure on our already stressed out systems.

I guess in the great scheme of things, all any of us want is happiness and thats what we should work towards always no matter what time of year it is

Comment

Hi Panno
            Good to see you grabbing it by the bollix too.
            How is your employment situation now? Are you still working?

Comment

Panno;1435110 wrote: X post morning Molly

oh and another thing I want what you've got :H:h
              WAIT! I baggsy Joe first :H

Comment

RunningCourage;1435115 wrote: WAIT! I baggsy Joe first :H
                :H:H:H

Comment

startingover;1435113 wrote: Hi Panno
                  Good to see you grabbing it by the bollix too.
                  How is your employment situation now? Are you still working?
                  Yes, for the time being, the company went into Administration week before Xmas so things will hopefully get sorted in January one way or the other. I suspect I shall be there for a couple of months helping the Administrators and handing things over as I am the only one they have who knows the business. My ideal would be to made redundant and have a nice pay out and start something new, been there 14 years, but I'll deal with it day by day now and take what comes. I can't just walk away because the salary is too good and I have alot of financial issues, as Mr P says its like having golden handcuffs on.

Comment

RunningCourage;1435115 wrote: WAIT! I baggsy Joe first :H
                    :H:H:H

Comment

mollyka;1435119 wrote: :l - don't want to sound like I'm a hardline AA'er, I truly amn't - and when I went to my first meeting and heard 'the promises' - I absolutely ridiculed them in my head - but fuck - there's something in there!! And it doesn't have to be associatied with AA - the promises come true with sobriety - and working at our sobriety - our lives that emerge with sobriety - fuck - did I EVER think I'd be pontificating about this - but here we go - it works for me

THE A.A. PROMISES

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
                      Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us?sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

Now - I promise 'normal service' will resume after that:H
                      Molly thanks for sharing this :h

Comment

Panno;1435121 wrote: Yes, for the time being, the company went into Administration week before Xmas so things will hopefully get sorted in January one way or the other. I suspect I shall be there for a couple of months helping the Administrators and handing things over as I am the only one they have who knows the business. My ideal would be to made redundant and have a nice pay out and start something new, been there 14 years, but I'll deal with it day by day now and take what comes. I can't just walk away because the salary is too good and I have alot of financial issues, as Mr P says its like having golden handcuffs on.
                        Exactly the same situation I was in in 2009.
                        It worked out fine, and you will too :l

Comment

mollyka;1435119 wrote: :l - don't want to sound like I'm a hardline AA'er, I truly amn't - and when I went to my first meeting and heard 'the promises' - I absolutely ridiculed them in my head - but fuck - there's something in there!! And it doesn't have to be associatied with AA - the promises come true with sobriety - and working at our sobriety - our lives that emerge with sobriety - fuck - did I EVER think I'd be pontificating about this - but here we go - it works for me

THE A.A. PROMISES

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
                          Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us?sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

Sticking dem onto the Stella thread... thank you Molls.

Comment

THE A.A. PROMISES

This is brilliant. Thanks Mollymoo

Comment

Epic fail on sleep last night

In my determination not to take meds I had the worst nights sleep ever and now I've woken up with a headache and feeling like I could sleep all day..
                              I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Working...
                              X