Army Thread Friday 11th January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Army is fab when we have wounded soldiers. Just great, kind, inspirational and intelligent posts this evening.

Off for me dinner.

Comment

satz123;1442284 wrote: Hi Hipster and yes please drag me up on that wagon
      Are you the new kid on the block ?
      I'm Satz and need advice from those who know !
      I love a drink on hols but it backfired on me i'm afraid.
      It was a choice I made and discussed with Mollers - a kinda do or die scenario :upset:
      :flyingunders::jumpwow::chef::sofa: I'm on my way. We'll have dinner together!
      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

RunningCourage;1442324 wrote: Yeah... not as blah as the last couple of days JC.

Maybe's just posting more...helps...
        Could also have been the pink cloud thing.

Sober Recovery Articles ? Recovery and the Pink Cloud

It always seemed to hit me between 30/40 days.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

RunningCourage;1442305 wrote: FUCK! first time for losing a long post!
          Try again... Satzy, :l in repsonse..

3 things:

1) It does sound like hypocrisy if one person says to another they have a drinking problem PURELY because they drink at a different time of day. That is ludicrous. I know french and spanish people who have a drink with their lunch, then a drink with their dinner. And that's it. 2 drinks. No more. It's just their custom. Are they alcoholics/got a drinking problem? Hardly.

2) Satzy, why did you join MWO in the first place? I remind myself of this when I am struggling... or when a voice says, "FFS Arsey, stop being so fecking pious and virtous, have a god damn drink" ... and remind myself that i came to MWO because I couldn't - or found it very hard to - have just one drink. Remembering where I was BEFORE i came and WHY i came here helps me understand what I was doing to myself and why I needed to stop.

It doesn;t matter if your husband or family and friends continue to drink as they did before, it doesn;t matter whether they are alkies or heavy drinkers or otherwise... it doesn't matter. It's about you... don't try to be others. Wear your Satzy hat, not your daughter's or your husband's or anyones. Wear your own. I'll ping up an e.e.cummings quote after sums this up succinctly.

3) "Am I an alcoholic?" Up to you what you describe yourself as. The problem with the term alcoholic is it is a highly contaminated word that brings with it unpalatable connotations and associations (even if theoretically that is what we all are). I wouldn't worry about calling yourself an alcoholic or otherwise. I don't think that's important. I think what is more important is being honest with yourself about your relationship with AL. How you describe it is up to you. I think today the term "alcoholic" covers alcohol abuse and alcohol dependency. I did the former 100% and in terms of the latter was certainly showing very clear signs of dependency. So, according to some diagnostic info out there I'd be classes as an alcoholic, even though that word and term sound foreign to describe me.

There is no such thing as "normal drinking" I don't think. There is drinking that is accepted in certain social spheres, but depending on who, what and where that can all be different. Listen to this link from a recent Radio 4 programme - it even questions whether government guidelines are healthy - indeed, whether AL is healthy AT ALL.

Here's the thread and link - go to about 20mins in. Radio 4

:l
          You are a pet - thanks RC :h

Comment

He is isn't he.

Came over a wee bit hot there and had to go have stand in the garden.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening!

Been without Internet for a while. Bloody Talk Talk! :stomper:

mario;1442089 wrote: Back to the hospital today...
              Best of luck mario,

mollyka;1442159 wrote: Good morning lovely people!!!
              Hello you!

JackieClaire;1442166 wrote: OMG x 2. Forgot to say I've got a bit of paid employment at Mr JC's place. Only a couple of mornings doing some scanning and filing of old legal documents but it pays real money.
              Brilliant! But you'll have to change your signature for those days, Jackie. May I suggest "It could be worse, I could be drinking. :upset:"?

satz123;1442177 wrote:
              Hi all. Unlike you Molly i fell into same drinking habits from Dublin Airport onwards.Feeling crap today.
              Welcome back satzy.

limers;1442282 wrote:
              hello all, still feeling like a limp of friggin shyte!!!!! So im going to chillax in front of the box and hopefully tomorrow I will be over the worst of it. Good neews is that I got the gig , the interview I went for on mon , they rang today offering me the position. So im happy about that , happy friday evening everyone x
              Brilliant about the job limers. Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Off to have a proper read back. I may be gone some time...

Comment

JackieClaire;1442118 wrote: Oh and Reccy, we're still getting those blessed add on doo dahs despite using all the scanning stuff. We're might just pop up to PC World and find a spotty yoof to see if they can do something.
                Did you try all those things I suggested with your lappie, JC?

JackieClaire;1442118 wrote: Tomato, Bacon and Lentil soup | Mrs Fat to Slimmer and Oney's bread.
                Quest for the key;1442142 wrote: - can't wait to go home, put me jammys on and eat some chips !!
                Hippyman;1442148 wrote: It smells so good in here...Lavender shortbread bakin...Yum!
                mollyka;1442167 wrote: ... AND they gave us a free meal - think I'd about 8 lunches yesterday!!!
                I just had by dinner and you're all making me hungry again! :upset:

JackieClaire;1442166 wrote: Not bad, not badly at all. Tired, seem as if I have one huge bouncy day and one when I'm a bit tired but it's getting soooooooooooooo much better. Ta for arsking.
                anon;1442170 wrote:
                Back later. feelingcrap.com here at moment
                satz123;1442177 wrote:
                Feeling crap today.
                limers;1442282 wrote:
                hello all, still feeling like a limp of friggin shyte!!!!!
                Lots of people feeling crap today. Hope you're all feeling better soon. :l Jackie, a reminder...have you taken your ADs yet today?

Hippyman;1442270 wrote:
                I'm in the mood for Artsy stuff so I'm painting the girls baskets for them to have new beds. I'm doing a wild and crazy pattern of blue/green and yellow! How's you?
                Good to see you've got your colours right, hippy. Dogs can't see red. :goodjob:

Quest for the key;1442278 wrote:
                Omg our local post office just been ram raided !!! They robbed it 12 months ago and shot somebody and its been done over again !!! Police everywhere and the helicopters hovering overhead !! It's like a scene from the bill !!
                Oh hiya Jacs
                Blimey. Hope no-one was hurt.

Comment

Recluse;1442380 wrote: I just had by dinner and you're all making me hungry again! :upset:
                  mollyka;1442381 wrote:
                  Evening! Just back from lovely day downtown - shopping - eating - more shopping - more eating.....!
                  You're doing it on purpose! :upset:

Evening molly.

Comment

mama bear;1441933 wrote: Mama is anxiously awaiting to see if she got a new job with a big, fat raise...will keep you posted!!
                    Good luck mrs bear. What's the new job?

Comment

* sniffs own armpits *

Comment

Hiya Trooper's!

Great post Runners.

Glad you made it home safely Satz. Can i give you one of these? :l

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Recluse;1442380 wrote: Did you try all those things I suggested with your lappie, JC?
                          We did indeed. We're paying PC World to look after us so they can have a go next.

It's just troublesome.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Jc.....shame on me! I never offered you any congrats on your new position, congrats!!! Money for the new year!!!

Comment

Thanks Limeyloo,

Couple of mornings a week. I reckon ?40 Grand and a company car and a day off a week to start and they should blooming grateful to have me.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hiya Satzy..got the hoose cleaned up in time so Im still alive!!!:H:H

Hope you dont mind me chuckin ma 2 bobs worth in...seems like a load of bits in that

Ask yourself couple of questions..can I honestly have couple of drinks and enjoy myself? Can I stop after them

Do I actually want to drink?...Do I want to be a part of that circle?
                                Can me and Mr Satz go out where the world doesnt revolve round ale?or if you take the ale away there is no show
                                Is there a compromise? af wine /beer? if so could I stick at that? what would happen if where I went there wasnt any

Think you need to think a wee bit about you..as arsey says why did you join mwo?Ireckon it was for you..not anyone else..as for drinking..didnt know that there were certain times for drinking...get shitfaced between 2 and 4 and its ok.

My honest opinion would be ..here we go lists again...sit down and write the whole fkn lot down the fors againsts what ifs etc...but one thing I would do ..give yourself some time before you do it..you have just had a bloody long trip ..need to get adjusted back :l glad you are back McGinty 2
                                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Working...
                                X