Power to Stop[

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to Stop[

I have been reading a book by Katherine Bently called the Power to Stop. it has so many great insights. I just wanted to share a passage that applied to me last night. I only had one drink yesterday but I fought the urge for the second one for the rest of the night.

"Your exit from hell is based on drawing this one firm line for yourself. It's easier to to make an uncompromising, unwaivering no decision than it is to make on based on containment, where just a little of the substance if OK. For one thing, its easier to minimize or eliminate your impulsive tendency when the substance isnt in your body. Once the substance enters your bloodstream,your own physiology starts working against you with stronger and more urgent cravings. Your choice to use a little is to put craziness in your body. Crazy, impulsive behaivior is what you are trying to minimize and it makes no sense to to aggravate your own problem and make it worse. Then there's the fact that using a little of the substance clouds your mind and makes it exceedingly easy to forget about having just a little. Before you know it the WTF mentality takes over and you don't really care what you do. Unfortunately a WTF mentality brings about a WTF result, and its always the result you don't want. Just say no. It's the sanest, swiftest, most efficient way to break free"

Power to Stop[

My brain won't listen to my "no," or anything else I tell it.

Any suggestions?
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Power to Stop[

Lookingforpeace,

I fought this exact issue last-night, went to the local supermarket to get some groceries and found myself walking past the beer and wine selection several times trying to justify to myself that "hey your a big boy you can handle just one sip", which like your paragraph states is all the excuse you need to have just ONE and then the WTF mentality takes over. I am SO glad that I was able to get my arse out of there and not allow myself to heed to the temptation.

Today is a great day because of being able to keep walking, thanks to this great web site and support.

FT
      AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
      As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Power to Stop[

Juja, I hear you when you say your brain won't listen to your no. It's tough. I think one way to look at is by separating your "right mind" from your beast brain. If you notice when a craving comes up that it's not the true authentic you, it's the tantruming child stopping at nothing to get her way. Just try to separate and then ignore it. It's like the Supernanny show on TV. Most of the parents have unruly kids because they give into every whim and whine of the children. As soon as they learn to set an expectation and not waiver, not argue and not give in they get a much better behaived child. Eventually that addictive voice quits down. Don't know if that helps. Good luck.

Comment

Power to Stop[

Juja;1443281 wrote: My brain won't listen to my "no," or anything else I tell it.

Any suggestions?
          My brain wouldn't listen to NO until it was on baclofen. Then I once again had the power to resist the compulsion to drink. It's been the best tool I've found to take away the uncontrollable urge to drink!
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Power to Stop[

Frequent Traveler;1443288 wrote: Lookingforpeace,

I fought this exact issue last-night, went to the local supermarket to get some groceries and found myself walking past the beer and wine selection several times trying to justify to myself that "hey your a big boy you can handle just one sip", which like your paragraph states is all the excuse you need to have just ONE and then the WTF mentality takes over. I am SO glad that I was able to get my arse out of there and not allow myself to heed to the temptation.

Today is a great day because of being able to keep walking, thanks to this great web site and support.

FT
            I'm right there with ya. Today is a great day because now I can say NO to AL!!!
            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Power to Stop[

Peace,
              It worked for me - just saying NO to the thoughts, urges, whatever you want to call them. You make a commitment & stay with it until you break free

Juja, the MWO hypno CDs work! Have you tried them?
              They help to change your thinking.
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Power to Stop[

Yes we can..

FT
                AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Working...
                X