I became heavy drunkard why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the very beginning of my work,I used to start my work very early in the morning and finish late in the evening.Because it was a big factory and need to work according to the order.Sometime night too.I was the head of the factory.
    So when getting back to home I used to enter in a restaurant for some fun .I did not have enough time to be there as we were newly married couple at that time.My wife used to wait me for a dinner so need to finish quickly.So drank so quickly and gradually my volume went bigger and bigger.
    I must felt some kind of effects /ecstasy within half an hour drink so that can enjoy for a couple of hours because I have to sleep immediately after taking my food. I also used to keep my stomach empty to get much ecstasy .The volume had become bigger and bigger but the time frame was the same half to an hour .
    So quick drinking in short period and in an empty stomach really lead to me binge drinking.I was not aware of all bad and my wife was also OK with it .
    Then,quarrelling,fighting ,disputes,accidents,memory loss and finally got clinically depressed.
    That time I and my wife both felt contended financially and socially

Now I am gaining all day by day and the depression has almost gone,
    family and financial status just has broken down.Still I am good with society and health.
    Hoping to enjoy a sober time for the rest of my life.

So please share how did you become a heavy drinker but if you wish only.
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

I am a musician. Didn't really start drinking until I was 25. Out all night in clubs and bars hanging out with the guys swapping stories. That went on for years with no ill effects. Then gradually through my late thirties I started to drink at home every night I wasn't working. Then a very violent event happened in my life. I shrugged it off and ten years later it started to bother me. Night mares, couldn't sleep angry anxious and depressed. My wife forced me to see a shrink. She told me I had PTSD and had to stop drinking. I refused and drank more. The shrink gently kept pushing me to quit. I developed pneumonia and was in the hospital for two weeks. They were worried about how much I was drinking and put me in the detox ward to treat my pneumonia. When I got out I didn't drink for two years. Then started gradually and ended up back at 2-3 liteers of wine. I made the decision last week to see my doctor and tell him I wanted to quit. He allowed me to detox at home and today is Day 5 of no alcohol. I don't miss it and don't have any urges yet and don't think I will. Going to my first gig since I quit and know I can get through a three hour gig with out relapsing because I am on Lorazapam and if I have a drink while taking it I could get really sick. Good luck to you.

Comment

Im guessing the same way you did.

I can still remember back to my first apartment and my drinking. Id come home crack open the beer and enjoy my new found freedom. I can still VIVIDLY remember it only taking 4 beers for me to get where I wanted to be.

Even before that, I was such a lightweight, my buddies called me "two beer Nelz"

Obviously, over time, that number started to increase. I probably should have known something was wrong when one time a waitress called me a "power drinker" :H

I would hazard to say, that most everyone has the same story, it starts out all sweet and innocent, and then it turns into the hellish romance we all share with AL
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I think for me it was is a genetic thing. If you are not an alcoholic in my family you are a diabetic. I got alcoholism, not Diabetes??? Why, I haven't a clue.
        Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Presently, I believe something was missing...that proverbial hole within, and I filled it with alcohol. Alcohol makes you feel accepted and removes the emptiness...temporarily. Then it becomes a crutch, a friend in times of need, an escape and then an addiction for some or the enemy of ever really filling the hole within.

I believe the hole within is the absence of love and acceptance...feeling good enough to be loved as is and being able to count on that love. The break starts in childhood for various reasons and continues on in our judgmental social engineering world. We become programmed to fill it with all the wrong things.

This could be a good essay.

Slay
          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Slaythefear;1446801 wrote: Presently, I believe something was missing...that proverbial hole within, and I filled it with alcohol. Alcohol makes you feel accepted and removes the emptiness...temporarily. Then it becomes a crutch, a friend in times of need, an escape and then an addiction for some or the enemy of ever really filling the hole within.

I believe the hole within is the absence of love and acceptance...feeling good enough to be loved as is and being able to count on that love. The break starts in childhood for various reasons and continues on in our judgmental social engineering world. We become programmed to fill it with all the wrong things.
            Wonderful post Slay. It really hit home for me. Thank you.
            AF 6 years
            NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

I was teaching at a university in a small college town and about three months into the school year, I was notified that my contract would not be renewed for a third year. The idea of having to live and work with these colleagues for the next seven months was more than I could handle. Not to mention my wife and I were living apart (for professional, not personal reasons) so I had absolutely no support. Before, I would have characterized myself as a binge drinker, drinking heavily when I did, but not habitually. Because I did not want to run into my colleagues out and about in town, I usually got some kind of takeout food and a fifth of vodka and went home and watched Netflix DVDs until I passed out. My weight ballooned and I started having other health problems. I am on a fitness and nutrition regimen now, but honestly, I still struggle with squeezing in my personal training appointments between drinking binges.

Comment

Slay, your comment is very sage. I want to copy it and post it somewhere; maybe take it into my shrink. It resonates with my being and I appreciate your eloquence and sharing. I have filled the hole before with healthy things, only to have it excavated with dynamite and made even more cavernous. I am very happy to be slowly, but surely, filling it in again with a solid foundation that is healthy, happy, wonderful me!
                Merci!
                :earth: Tree23

Comment

Slay,
                  You defined me to a "T" again.
                  FT
                  AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                  As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

tree23;1450789 wrote: I have filled the hole before with healthy things, only to have it excavated with dynamite and made even more cavernous. I am very happy to be slowly, but surely, filling it in again with a solid foundation that is healthy, happy, wonderful me!
                    Merci!
                    Tree, that explosive image is very powerful to me. I have come so close so many times to filling that hole to make me whole only to blow it up with AL and confusion.

I think this time I can fill it steadily with that solid foundation!

:l:h
                    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                    X