Protein as a way to stabilize blood sugar levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick thought. The past two times i have felt that instantaneous desire for al (different to a close call, more like sudden onset ones), i have quickly recognised it as a craving for carbohydrates instead. I think our brains sometimes get it wrong.

Anyhow, on both of those occassions, i decided to do a test and instantly eat some proteins. On both occassions, i quickly cooked up some chicken (on hot plate) and ate it. Within 5 minutes of eating it, the cravings had completely gone.

Now, i know it's not always possible to cook something on the spot, but you could fry or bake some in advance and leave it in portions in the fridge, for when you need a quick fix. I guess you could also eat nuts or something else very high in protein.

My rudimentary knowledge of protein is that it is a slow release form of energy and stablises the blood suger levels. I think that if our blood sugar levels are more stable, it might help in our cravings.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I hope it helps :l
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

hi change,ive noticed that also so i take nuts to work or some jerky,it worx good!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

It's a given. Well done! (not the chicken)
      Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Change:

You have it completely right.

I noticed a long time ago that when I ate bagels for breakfast, I would get shaky around 10 am to sugar dropping then. If I ate eggs for breakfast, I'd be all right. But in an emergency, juices and glucose tablets bring blood glucose up faster than protein so that's why when someone's blood glucose is really low and is dizzy and shaky you give them juice or crackers.

Proteins tend to keep your sugars much stable longer though.
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Yeah, i was also thinking there's a big difference between a short term craving and the longer term, more deeply rooted causes behind our drinking!
          One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

I have switched to a low carb diet for health reasons, and I'm pretty happy with it. Eggs instead of oatmeal for breakfast, cheese instead of crackers with my lunchtime homemade soup.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

i think im gonna go low carb too,i need to eat or i feel weird but i dont really think the body needs many carbs anyways,so thas my next experiment
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

A holistic approach serves well for long term success and health. Experimenting and proving to yourself is the best test.
                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

I agree w RC!
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

We have two RCs! RunningCourage and RingingCedars! I had to verify who Ally was talking about!

Anyway - I have to post here as this has been part of my "research" the past few years. I posted on weight losers that I used to be a vegetarian. I drank less then. I really think everyone is different.

But most of the literature I read is that low carb is best, especially in the beginning, to rid yourself of both the addiction to alcohol and the addicition to the carbs (or sugars).

I also read that it's interesting that at AA meetings there is always candy and coffee, because those are two things that should be avoided!

But - like I said, everyone is different. I have never been a sweets person. Even as a kid. I actually was going to post this elsewhere, but maybe here is a good place.

How many of you crave that huge ice cream cone, or sunday, etc? I just don't. While I like it sometimes, it's not a big thing for me. I was always told it's because I'm an alcoholic. So did you crave the sweets while drinking too? MAJOR YUK!

While I have been off the alcohol, I have craved the sweets a little. Mostly cold cereal and a tiny bit of chocolate. Not overboard.

Anyway - my original point. Everyone is different. When I get a craving, a big swig of gatorage is in store, and that helps.

Curious for others experiences.

Rainy
                    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Test to see if my new profile pic comes through...
                      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

urgh...ull

Comment

Here?... yes, looks like it took!

Comment

Working...
                          X