Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libido and quitting booze? Can you get it UP? (sex talk dont read if offended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Gang,

I have a question for you. Since I have quit alcohol my libido has gone way down, in fact it does not exists.

I know longer want to masturbate or have sex with my partner. I had to have a sperm test last week as we are trying to conceive and it was almost impossible for me to do the deed.

I have not been Horney for 3 weeks, basically the same amount of time I have quit.

I take meds for depression and bi ? polar. I have listed the new drugs (since started quitting) and the old drugs that I still take and did take when I had Libido.

Pre Meds
    Pristiq
    Serqueal
    Meds while quitting

Pristiq
    Serquael
    Naltrexone
    Valium
    Vit B
    Fish Oil

Has anyone else experienced this on their quit attempt? Will I remain limp for ever
    If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Well those meds are notorious for causing the libido issues you describe. Please have a talk with you doctor!
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Me too Martye........ But it is coming back with a vengeance this last couple of weeks......so go with the flow.

Check my quit date.....it was about 3 months before normality returned

I am female BTW.....but was always an HB ( if you know what I mean)

I think this is more common than discussed here.

The baby making can and should wait til your quit is secure......the LAST thing you need right now is the stress of a new baby TBH

Comment

The psychotropic meds have side effects of decreased sexual performance etc. Have you tried some of the holistic anti-anxiety remedies recommended in the book, or through your doc so you could maybe get off some of the meds. It will take your body some time to find homeostasis now that you have withdrawn a toxin. And you may be experiencing more from the psychotropics because you are not drinking so they are able to fully work on your system. I'd prescribe time, a trip to the doc, and a look into homeopathic healing. (Dr. Tree but I don't have my degree yet...working on it though!)
        :earth: Tree23

Comment

Im not touchin this one with a 10 foot pole..............:H
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I think blaming it on "quitting the booze", instead of blaming it on all the drugs is a little short sighted. I'm 44, and I have never had a problem, but since I have quit I haven't had an issue because I am healthier than I have been in 20 years. Basically quitting has been a positive for my sex life.

Comment

Nelz;1451952 wrote: Im not touchin this one with a 10 foot pole..............:H
              Well I am not touching anything with umm anything, so any similar experiences would be greatly appriciated!
              If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

:H
                martye;1451957 wrote: Well I am not touching anything with umm anything, so any similar experiences would be greatly appriciated!
                . Sorry... But you didn't mention if Pristiq or seroquel dosages were changed?

If not, probably due to Valium or naltrexone but definitely don't change or touch anything without discussing it w your doctor....
                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Alcoholic;1451958 wrote: :H. Sorry... But you didn't mention if Pristiq or seroquel dosages were changed?

If not, probably due to Valium or naltrexone but definitely don't change or touch anything without discussing it w your doctor....
                  Nothing has changed in my meds still same dosage - it is just the fact that my willy no no works

Comment

martye;1451959 wrote: Nothing has changed in my meds still same dosage - it is just the fact that my willy no no works
                    This made me smile, well laff actually

But on a serious note. It could well be psychological that you arent feeling horny at the moment. I know lots of women who experience lack of libido when they first quit. The body and mind are going through so many changes. And for some people they have only ever performed under the influence. So its a huge deal to start feeling all nice and sexy when sober.

I agree with Kuya re conception during an early quit. We are so fragile during this time its important not to rock the boat. You will be a much better dad if you give yourself sometime to recover.

A check with the doc is a great idea, but as you have been taking the drugs for a long time., it might well not be them, just the process of becoming sober.
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

And thinking about it some more......maybe subconsciously you know you don't want another baby at the moment.
                      Try re instigating birth control and see if that helps.

Worth a try eh?

Comment

kuya;1451994 wrote: And thinking about it some more......maybe subconsciously you know you don't want another baby at the moment.

Worth a try eh?
                        I understand now may not be the best time to be a new father ? well in 9 months. The reason is my partner has rheumatoid arthritis; she has come off her drugs a while ago when we first started planning. So whilst not on these drugs she is in extreme pain. She can?t keep coming on and off the drugs as the risk that the drug won?t take again so she has to live in pain until she is pregnant.

Comment

I don't know how old you are Mart, but I'm 57 and things just don't work as well as they used to. That being said I think if you doctor will prescribe some 20mg Cealis (bad spelling) you will notice...

A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

Comment

kuya;1451994 wrote: And thinking about it some more......maybe subconsciously you know you don't want another baby at the moment.

Worth a try eh?
                            That was my first thought. It could be that that "higher self" of yours is saying ...NO WAY THAT IT's Baby makin time!!!
                            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

martye;1452023 wrote: I understand now may not be the best time to be a new father ? well in 9 months. The reason is my partner has rheumatoid arthritis; she has come off her drugs a while ago when we first started planning. So whilst not on these drugs she is in extreme pain. She can?t keep coming on and off the drugs as the risk that the drug won?t take again so she has to live in pain until she is pregnant.
                              So this makes it even more of a pressure Martye........whole can of worms then?

Comment

Working...
                              X