Busted My 15 Year Old Drinking????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been a terrible example to my two daughters as I have been a heavy drinker since before they were born. I am working on my way out with Baclofen for the past 3 weeks, I had been practicing TSM for the past 18 months with some limited success.

This weekend my wife and I found alcohol in my 15 year olds room. This is the third time we have caught here drinking and we are at wits end and obviously feeling very guilty. My wife also drinks more than what is probably healthy although not nearly as much as I do.

My question is should I discuss my problems with alcohol with my daughter in an effort to warn her of the dangers? Of course I would feel better about doing this if I was further along on my recovery.

:anyone:

I would talk to her......My two sons watched me spiral out of control and I have been very open and honest about it......I hope they learn from me
    and 15 is SOOOOOOOO young
    good luck
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I started when I was 15. And got caught more than a few times before I was 16. I didn't get a huge punishment, and my parents were both drinkers, so I got the message that drinking is OK, and just don't get caught.

My whole life was built on drinkering from that point on. Now I have quit drinking and quit nicotine and I had a very candid discussion with my sons regarding my life long issues with alcohol. I explained to my youngest son who is 13 now...but when he was 11 that I had issue with alcohol, and explained it like I had an allergy, and it runs in ourr family and it can and will kill me if I continue drinking the poison. Then I explain that I really see it as bad as drugs even though it is legal.

He understood everything and has told me that he will never drink or us nicotine. He does not need poison in his body to feel good.We openly discuss addictions, and celebrity storries regarding substance abuse. He got the message, and he understands that alcohol cause more problems in the world than all the drugs and wars combined. I have vilified the substance.

Comment

Supercrew;1452257 wrote: I started when I was 15. And got caught more than a few times before I was 16. I didn't get a huge punishment, and my parents were both drinkers, so I got the message that drinking is OK, and just don't get caught.

My whole life was built on drinkering from that point on. Now I have quit drinking and quit nicotine and I had a very candid discussion with my sons regarding my life long issues with alcohol. I explained to my youngest son who is 13 now...but when he was 11 that I had issue with alcohol, and explained it like I had an allergy, and it runs in ourr family and it can and will kill me if I continue drinking the poison. Then I explain that I really see it as bad as drugs even though it is legal.

He understood everything and has told me that he will never drink or us nicotine. He does not need poison in his body to feel good.We openly discuss addictions, and celebrity storries regarding substance abuse. He got the message, and he understands that alcohol cause more problems in the world than all the drugs and wars combined. I have vilified the substance.
        My daughter is 13 and I have done exactly the same.....let us hope we don't create rebellion drugging !

Comment

kuya;1452308 wrote: My daughter is 13 and I have done exactly the same.....let us hope we don't create rebellion drugging !
          Well I preach that drugging is terrible as well. If I would have known that nothing will really ever make you feel better than you already feel straight and healthy I might have never tried alcohol or tobacco. I mean really what is the purpose for trying intoxicating substances? To feel good......right? Well if I was told that really it makes you feel dizzy, maybe nauseous, and you will feel like hell tomorrow, and it makes you dumb and you will do things that you would never consider doing in a regular state of mind, and it might even kill you. Well if I had someone explain it to me like that, and then tell me that only weak minded people feel they need to use alcohol, tobacco and drugs, and the reality is big tobacco, big alcohol, and drug dealers are all the same. Their goal is to make you think you like it, make you think it's cool, then get you addicted to believe you need it to live, then rape you of your money and your dignity.

That is the message that should be being sent to our kids.

Comment

There is a program called Ala~Teen that helps teenagers who were raised by alcoholics. It's a branch of AA (not my cup of tea) but in this case it may be what's needed. Anyway, GOOD LUCK! IMO Alcoholism is an inherited disease so teaching your kids about it is a great idea.
            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
            X