One week in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One week in

The worst of the insomnia and what I call the "night twitches" seem to have passed and last night the prescription sleep meds put me out as they're intended to do.

Also, things are looking up on the employment front - most of my work is done as an independent contractor so it goes in fits and starts. While I can't attribute that directly to sobriety, at least I know I won't be going in to any interviews unprepared or hungover.

Also, my brain is slowly rewiring itself to dissociate old bad habits with newer healthy ones:
    1. I took my wife on an errand beachside Monday. The beach used to mean dive bars with outdoor decks and colored lights. Now, it means coffeehouses with outdoor patios and wifi.
    2. A colleague had me, my wife and several other coworkers over for dinner. I knew people would be drinking wine socially. I was always a beer person myself. So I stopped and got myself some Clausthaler (a German non-alcoholic brew), poured it in a glass, and no one was the wiser. And it's amazing how much more slowly I drink the Clausthaler since I'm not chasing a buzz. And one was enough to satisfy.
    3. I already described in another thread how herbal tea has now replaced by nightly alcohol habit.

Here's to the next week, the week after that, and the week after that...

One week in

Great work! I also enjoy herbal teas. Make sure you check out the specialty section of your grocery store, or maybe a sepatate store with this emphasis. There are so many flavors and brands beyond Celestial Seasonings. I love licorice tea and it's natural sweetness.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

One week in

Great job! What a wonderful accomplishment! You must feel good about your progress!
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

One week in

Awesome stuff. Keep it going
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

One week in

You sound very determined. You can quit and stay quit. This time 4 sure!
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

One week in

Way to go! You sound SO good and you seem to have a great plan in place. I am always looking for interesting new drinks, but usually I just go back to plain old iced tea...I make it at home and keep a pitcher in the fridge. Yeah, it has sugar in it but I can't give up every stinkin' thing! LOL

I saw in another thread how you will not be visiting the Village in New York. When I go in October I will be with a 16 year old, so that really helps me in staying out of places I shouldn't be! I was even able to take my daughter to Vegas and go 4 days without drinking, smoking OR gambling...and I didn't even miss it because we were having so much fun!

Stay strong...you GOT THIS!
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

One week in

First let me say this:

Followed by a little of this:

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2042454=7268-attachment.jpg[/img]
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

One week in

Now thats fantastic news

Your well deserved perk

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2042457=7268-attachment.jpg[/img]
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

One week in

Good job. I haven't tried any non alcoholic beers or wines. Do they taste good?Keep it up like me you seem determined. I also drink herbal tea. Earl Grey or Chinese green tea through the day and Camille tea at night to help fall asleep.
                  Take care you can do it.

Comment

One week in

Way to go!

Comment

One week in

Keep going as it will only get better & better!!!!.... Alcohol is nothing but Ethanol ~ Poison, for us!!!... Living without it, is truly living!!!!... Health, hope, contentment, freedom are yours for the taking...... There are tons of AF beverages that taste grrt!!! Whole lot healthier, tastier too, warm or cold.

Your doing grrt!... Welcome to real living!!!....

Comment

One week in

K9 - don't get me wrong. The Village is a wonderful funky, arty bohemian neighborhood. Just because it came to represent drunken debauchery and promiscuity in my mind doesn't mean that's the inherent character of the neighborhood. In fact, I would venture to say, if the two of you like that bohemian vibe, it's definitely a neighborhood you should go. So many tourists never see anything south of about 30th St or north of 90th, so I hope you will venture out of midtown and see the real city. And if you want to eat at a real New York institution out in Brooklyn, google DiFara Pizza. Only the hardiest of tourists ever make it out there.

iknow - I used to brew beer, so I'm pretty unapologetic about liking the taste of beer. O'Douls is ok, but I found Clausthaler from Germany is better. Also, when you are at a party where people are drinking, all they see is that you have a glass of amber, foamy liquid, and you don't have to answer the awkward questions about, "why aren't you drinking???" I am not aware of any non-alcoholic wines.

Comment

One week in

Yay for you! Very inspired by your determination and great attitude! Thanks for sharing & all the best to you and yours!
                          "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Working...
                          X