Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plz dont call me nuts, but I cant deal w radios at work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had 33 days sober & then entered into a new job. And I have also had this problem all my life. I am super sensitive to people playing their radios or streaming music without wearing headsets at work. I do seem to have a higher frequency to hearing noises, jumpy, waking up in the middle of night, etc. So, I am now sitting next to someone at work who plays gospel music all day, it's not the type of music at all, it just all sounds like a constant static in my ears. I can listen to music, don't get me wrong, but I mostly have talk radio on in my car(not political thou). I also have Tinnitus anyway, so I already have noise in my ears, but I am used to it. So, all this week I drank after work, my nervous system is on hi-level due to this problem & I want relief! I have talked to her twice about it now really nicely, because I dont really like being like this, but it is what it is. I put my headsets on & try to develop some white noise with a fan, but it isnt helping. She has said she is not giving it up & tells me to put on my headsets & play my white noise. I just dont know what to do...............I have a right to be comfortable at work as well dont I? She is 71 & set in her ways. Any advice?
    :l:rays:

I am very sensitive to sound, too. I got into the habit of wearing earplugs while studying in college. Is that an option for you in your work environment?

Comment

Suggest that at 71 she could retire?

I also dislike radios as background noise when I'm working so I fully sympathise with you.

Comment

Noise drives me nuts too! I can't concentrate and I can't read if there's background noise. I carry ear plugs with me everywhere. Unfortunately they don't wipe out all of the sound, only make it quieter.

Is there a higher up at work that you can talk to? You've already approached her twice about the problem and she refuses to do anything about it. I think if you explained your tinnitus and the effects the music has on your productivity and that you've already tried to deal with this on a personal level that management would be willing to step in.

Comment

I think she should wear headphones and am amazed @ her insensitive she has been in the situation. Would drive me nuts too. I wear Bose headphones and listen to soothing music when @ the dentist because I hate it so much and they are excellent if it does come to that for you. They are very effective @ canceling outside noise. The hygenist has to tap me on the shoulder if she has something to say I need to hear and she is just a foot away from me. You could also ask if you could move to a different work station. @ 71 she is probably not going to change her ways. Best of luck. Let us know what happens!

Comment

She is retired, just came back for a special project to last 9 months. I am going to stop at vitamin store to try & find a "calmer", because I can't let this ruin my sobriety. I still can feel the anxiety today even though I am not at work. Any suggestions?
            :l:rays:

Comment

If she is not going to change and management isn't willing to make her wear headphones or let you move to another work station, despite you telling them how it affects your productivity, then I would not have any anxiety about it at all. I would continue to tell management at every opportunity, perhaps even putting it in writing. Then I would do my best at work but not lest it get to me as much as possible. I guess I have been under so much stress at work for so long that I really am able to let it roll off my back most of the time. There are certain people at work I don't want to disappoint, though.

Another thought - if it's gospel music, can you complain to HR from the religious angle? Claim that you are being forced to listen to religious music?? Also, is there anyone else around you that could also be affected that you can band together with?
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X