The healing power of mindfullness when recovering from Booze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have all heard at one time or another how useful meditation can be in terms of reducing stress and anxiety but most people don't realize how helpful meditation can be managing recovery from the use of drugs and alcohol dependency. Relapse is one of the biggest concerns for individuals recovering from substance abuse disorders and meditation can make a big difference for a person maintaining abstinence during their recovery.

Addiction is a disease that never goes away, this is an illness that has to be managed every day in a person's life. With time, determination and the right tools the symptoms of addiction gets easier and easier that's why finding successful treatment is so important.

What people suffering from addiction do share is stress, anxiety, depression, tension and insomnia. Medications like antidepressants and sleep aids do help but it's extremely important not to rely on them or misuse them which many people do during their recovery from alcohol or drug addiction.

When a person is working toward recovery, maintaining abstinence is not that easy. None of us can completely control the stress and tension in our lives and unfortunately emotional situations many times come without warning and when a person relapses during their recovery it's due to stress, depression and anxiety. Meditation is an alternative form of therapy that can not only help to prevent relapse from drug and alcohol abuse but can also help with recovery from other forms of dependency.

Mindfulness is a form of meditation that requires the individual to focus their minds on the present moment. When a person is being mindful they're aware of their actions and thoughts in the present moment without judging them. With this form of meditation you're aware of your senses, you're aware of your breathing, but you're not trying to analyze them. You're just aware in the moment which develops stability, inner calmness and relaxation.

I cant tell you how much mindfulness has helped has helped me every single day! Uf you need somd advice, apps, ideas etc let me know. It is very easy to learn and brings you back to the present very quickly (5 mintues a day for me)
    If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Martye, I too believe in the benefits of mindfulness and meditation. What are the apps you like?

Comment

Happyminds and mindfullness.

Happyminds is good as it is free

Do you use any?
      If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

I like Meditate Now, which is a meditation with next background sounds. I also like Power of Now which sends out reminder blurbs on mindfulness on your iPhone. That kind of is a reminder to go back to being present. There are also a lot of nature sounds, binaural beats and other apps that you can use as background music or sounds for meditation.

Comment

Mindfulness, meditation and yoga have got me through some of the toughest times of my life. Actually, now that I think of it, they have helped me quit two of the hardest things I have ever had to quit: an entangled, unhealthy relationship and Paxil (the antidepressant for hell). I have drifted away in the ensuing years, until now. I have enrolled in a mindfulness based stress reduction course (based on Jon Kabat Zinn's programme - clinically proven, non-belief/dogma oriented, and brilliant) starting soon. I know this will really help me.

Comment

Thanks martye , am going to get those apps now
            Still trying !!!
            AF 25th June2014

Comment

Another grrt post Martye!

Brainwave Entrainment, Binaural Beats, and Isochronic Tones free mp3 downloads Here's a link to learn about brain Entrainment. Binaural beats suggest the convenience of using headphones when listening to the sessions and Isocrhonic tones suggest the convenience of using speakers when listening to the sessions. However, you can experiment by yourself by interchanging devices. The link I posted is just a random google search. I learned a little about brain Entrainment a long time a go. It may change your ALFA, BETA, DELTA, THETA brain waves. Like hypnosis I suppose.

Comment

Quake girl, last year I took the 8 week mindfulness meditation course that you spoke of. I thought it was very good. I realize the most important thing is to keep up a practice at home.

Comment

Wildflowers;1457653 wrote: Another grrt post Martye!

[url=http://hidedoor.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/sbkcnvjsefy/sqrs/p1/brainwave-entrainment.html]Brainwave Entrainment, Binaural Beats, and Isochronic .
                  I know nothing about this can you tell me more?

Comment

martye;1457732 wrote: I know nothing about this can you tell me more?
                    You can read more about the different beats at Wikipedia, or on the Net. I do suggest being careful playing around with these as even Wikipedia suggests an expert in Neuroscience may need to be consulted.

I use to download free ones for anxiety, sleeping, & joy... Directed by my therapist. They target different waves in your brain... My old therapist was trained, but its been over 4 yrs...

I listen to rain, ocean, jazz, blues, drums sometimes to help relax, sleep, meditate ~ peace. Once in a while I have insomnia problems, but adding Suntheanine (an amino acid) the last 3 wks has helped.

It's been several yrs that I studied how the different beats effect different brain waves. I remember my therapist telling me, movement like dancing, meditation, singing, sex, hypnosis does to.

Comment

Great post Martye

I too am learning about Mindfulness. I have an app on my phone. (called Mindfulness) and I use it for a 15 minute meditation each morning. I am also reading a book by Jon Kabat Zinn called The Mindful Way through Depression which is excellent. Also, read Wherever you Go, There you Are. Both wonderful books.
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hello gang,

This is a fascinating topic and one near and dear to me. I use binaural beats NIGHTLY. I will leave you with the link for you to decide for yourself and a wee bit of information as well. It's really wonderful, I hope you enjoy: Free Binaural Beats : Binaural Brains

"Binaural beats are scientifically proven audios designed to entrain our brainwaves to reach the most powerful frequencies of the human mind. They are able to influence the way that our brain resonates.
                        Humans are not capable of hearing any sounds below 20Hz. The most powerful brainwave frequencies are all below this range. Binaural beats work by playing two separate tones with a specific frequency in each ear. The frequency range between these two tones creates a third ‘binaural tone’ which is perceived in the mind. This perceived tone is what our brain resonates to.
                        Say you want improve your memory retention. It has been proven that the optimal brainwave frequency for improved memory is in the low alpha state around 9Hz.
                        Binaural beats work by playing a base tone of say 200Hz in your left ear, and then playing 209Hz in your right ear. This creates a perceived tone of 9Hz, which the brain then begins to resonate to after hearing it for a few minutes.
                        It has actually been proven that consistently using these audios improves the way we think. One example is that it promotes whole-brain functioning – where both hemispheres of the brain synchronize and work together. Also practicing meditation with these audios for prolonged amounts of time allows your brainwaves to start resonating in the gamma frequency range – a higher state of functioning.
                        Because of the fact that everything we experience is dependent on our brainwaves, binaural beats can be used for a wide variety of things. Just a few benefits of using these powerful audios include:
                        Mental Clarity
                        Relaxation
                        Stress Reduction
                        Altered States of Consciousness
                        More Energy
                        Sleeping Aid
                        Improved Memory
                        Metaphysical Experiences
                        Motivation
                        Personal and Spiritual Development
                        Overcoming Depression
                        Enhanced Learning

**They are contraindicated for people who have seizures (due to continuous pulsing), for children, or while operating machinery." - Binauralbrains.com
                        "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Persephone1;1457771 wrote: Hello gang,

This is a fascinating topic and one near and dear to me. I use binaural beats NIGHTLY. I will leave you with the link for you to decide for yourself and a wee bit of information as well. It's really wonderful, I hope you enjoy: Free Binaural Beats : Binaural Brains

"Binaural beats are scientifically proven audios designed to entrain our brainwaves to reach the most powerful frequencies of the human mind. They are able to influence the way that our brain resonates.
                          Humans are not capable of hearing any sounds below 20Hz. The most powerful brainwave frequencies are all below this range. Binaural beats work by playing two separate tones with a specific frequency in each ear. The frequency range between these two tones creates a third ?binaural tone? which is perceived in the mind. This perceived tone is what our brain resonates to.
                          Say you want improve your memory retention. It has been proven that the optimal brainwave frequency for improved memory is in the low alpha state around 9Hz.
                          Binaural beats work by playing a base tone of say 200Hz in your left ear, and then playing 209Hz in your right ear. This creates a perceived tone of 9Hz, which the brain then begins to resonate to after hearing it for a few minutes.
                          It has actually been proven that consistently using these audios improves the way we think. One example is that it promotes whole-brain functioning ? where both hemispheres of the brain synchronize and work together. Also practicing meditation with these audios for prolonged amounts of time allows your brainwaves to start resonating in the gamma frequency range ? a higher state of functioning.
                          Because of the fact that everything we experience is dependent on our brainwaves, binaural beats can be used for a wide variety of things. Just a few benefits of using these powerful audios include:
                          Mental Clarity
                          Relaxation
                          Stress Reduction
                          Altered States of Consciousness
                          More Energy
                          Sleeping Aid
                          Improved Memory
                          Metaphysical Experiences
                          Motivation
                          Personal and Spiritual Development
                          Overcoming Depression
                          Enhanced Learning

**They are contraindicated for people who have seizures (due to continuous pulsing), for children, or while operating machinery." - Binauralbrains.com
                          Hi Persephone. I have never heard of this and am interested to learn more.
                          Thank you for posting this. I have signed up for the email and am listening to a Binaural Beat now. How long have you been doing this type of meditation?
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I have been progressing through the holo sync series for a few years now. When I was first quitting I used, and continue to use, their binaural beats in theta waves.

Seems to help with calming and clinically been shown to help recovering alcoholics. Holo sync is not cheap though and there is cheaper versions around.

Comment

There is a site that has some .... thepiratebay.org only if you own the orginals and need a back up of course

Comment

Working...
                              X