Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tap

Hello Everyone!
    So I am about to approach a test of sorts. There is a pub in my hometown that brews a new beer each month and brings up a groovy artist for a live concert and they call it First Tap. I have been to many (mainly for the music scene) and my best friend and I have kind of made it a tradition. Well, one of my favorite musicians is playing tomorrow so I'm flying up to go to the concert. This will be the first time hanging out with my bestie (who likes to drink when we go out) and the first time hanging out with my brothers and sisters who also drink.
    I have been mentally preparing myself to deal with the situation as I don't like drinking in large crowds, and I don't like beer or spirits. When I drank it was very location/setting specific. I am looking forward to being the DD (forever!) and I am actually really excited not to have to leave the pit to go get a beer every 20 mins! IMO this artist doesn't need any enhancing and I just want to DANCE DANCE DANCE! My friend knows I have adopted a new outlook on health and life and I am sure she will support me, especially since we have talked about cutting down on our consumption of AL before I decided to quit. When we have gone out in the past I have always had to work to keep up with her, and she has ended up finishing off my drinks. She has to work the next day so she has said she has to keep it light so I am hoping that my 0 beers will not be noticed by her ?2? beers.
    I guess the main fear I have is that I will be socially awkward as the nondrinker when everyone around me is drowning. I kinda envy pregnant people right now....I could always go into detail about why I choose not to drink (toxin, etc), besides the fact that my drinking became problematic, but I don't want to ostracize those around me who are drinking. I already do that enough with eating meat, drinking dairy, buying eggs from the grocery store and other things...:sigh:
    Anyway, I am excited to go up and have fun and get away from some stuff at "home". Going back to my hometown is also where I started drinking, and then where sh*t happened, and where drinking became a problem. I feel that I am emotionally ready to face those memories however, and lay them to rest. As with AL I am done running from the past and I want to face life head-on. So wish me luck! I will let you all know how awesome the concert was and how much fun I had with all my wits intact!:band2:
    :earth: Tree23

First Tap

Your going to do great! And when its over your going to that much more secure in your sobriety I'm sure of it. Have fun! If your dancing and having a good time, your just as much a part of the party as everyone else. And how lucky are they to have a safe ride home

Comment

First Tap

Hmmm Hiya Tree. Depends in part how long you are into your quit and what all other experiences you have had being with folks drinking and you being AF.

I think if you are fully committed to going to the event and being AF you will do it - even if you find it hard at points. You've shown some great fortitude on threads here.

I went to a gig during my first quit back in October - I was three weeks AF at the time - and it was one of the best gigs I'd been to ... I didn't need - nor want - to drink because the music acted similar to a drug and I just wanted to dance non-stop. So did.

In Nov, although I was drinking, I was at a gig with one of my closest friends and an old drinking buddy of 10 years or so... I was driving so was on the shandy... but I noticed that being with him in that situations - he wasn't getting drunk, just enjoying a few jars (say 3) of an evening - our banter was little different. Point is, at music gigs, where there is a focal point other than drinking, being AF may well be a little easier, and the banter with my friend no less interesting/funny/acerbic than if I had been been drinking.

Comment

Working...
      X