My recent 4 month experiment with Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said it before on another thread somewhere but in my opinion the very fact that we are here is enough proof that we cannot moderate.I've thought about it myself but after thinking about it on a rational level rather than a romantic "would'nt it be great to have one or two with the lads"level I knew that it would'nt be long before I was back to 8/10 pints a night and being over a 100 days free now I cant face doing the trauma of a first day/week/month all over again.(Plus I'm afraid of what Byrdie would do to me.:H)
    AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Patrick;1460696 wrote: I've said it before on another thread somewhere but in my opinion the very fact that we are here is enough proof that we cannot moderate.I've thought about it myself but after thinking about it on a rational level rather than a romantic "would'nt it be great to have one or two with the lads"level I knew that it would'nt be long before I was back to 8/10 pints a night and being over a 100 days free now I cant face doing the trauma of a first day/week/month all over again.(Plus I'm afraid of what Byrdie would do to me.:H)
      :b&d:

Comment

RunningCourage;1460703 wrote: :b&d:
        :H:H:H
        I wish :H

Comment

Patrick;1460711 wrote: :H:H:H
          I wish :H
          Yo Patrick.....I'm telling Byrdie! :H:H

Comment

kuya;1460720 wrote: Yo Patrick.....I'm telling Byrdie! :H:H
            stool pigeon:kissass:

Comment

Patrick;1460730 wrote: stool pigeon:kissass:
              Byrdie and Patrick sittin ina tree

W H I P I N G

Comment

kuya;1460731 wrote: Byrdie and Patrick sittin ina tree

W H I P I N G

:H:H :busted:

Comment

Sorry guys maybe I should have named this thread .. My S&M experience in moderation

Just kidding!

Comment

kuya;1460731 wrote: Byrdie and Patrick sittin ina tree

W H I P I N G

Comment

X post Molly!

Comment

Sorry Patrice, I'm afraid Patrick and Arsey bring out the child in me

Comment

patrice;1460578 wrote: Hi all,

I just wanted to relay my recent experience with moderation.

In some ways I have successfully moderated my drinking to acceptable ( ie within the recommended guidelines) levels over the past few months, however this journey has left me absolutely EXHAUSTED!! and now I think I know why

Abstinence means making one BIG choice and sticking to it but moderation means making many small choices which requires SO much mental energy. First I had to define what moderation meant to me then I had to constantly prevent myself from having ' just one more'.
                          Reducing my dependence has involved making different choices at different times, sometimes saying Yes, but mostly having to say No. This has been totally exhausting.. However, quitting and abstinence means ONE decision, you always know what to do and if you stuff up only another ONE decision to get back on the horse, saving that precious mental energy which can then be directed to something else..

Just my little experience to add to the myriad here. I now choose complete abstinence and look forward expending my energy on other things

Take care all
                          Patrice
                          Thank you so much for this, Patrice. I also am so much more able to make 1 decision and not spend time and energy with additional plans, second guessing myself, etc. Your execution and report of your experiment is so good, I feel no need to try to replicate your findings. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Comment

Yall!! Behave over here!! How'd I get hitched to the whippin post???

Great thread! Molly yes, it was I who said that I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. The mind games, it WAS exhausting in every way. After all, didn't we all try to moderate BEFORE we got here? I know I did.

Once you can get that distance between you and AL, things come so much more in focus. You can't see it while you're in it, but once thru...it is just BETTER! I don't need AL and moreover, I don't want it. B
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

I'm with you Patrice. I hadn't heard of the term "moderating" applied to drinking before I joined here. I had tried cutting back on my own, was more successful doing that with the support group here. But over time it truly wasn't worth the effort. My life was in no way better with alcohol, is definitely better without it now.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Great to see you Patrice.

Have a beautiful free year, free from the shackles and chains.

Rock on friend!

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X