My recent 4 month experiment with Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick;1460696 wrote: I've said it before on another thread somewhere but in my opinion the very fact that we are here is enough proof that we cannot moderate.I've thought about it myself but after thinking about it on a rational level rather than a romantic "would'nt it be great to have one or two with the lads"level I knew that it would'nt be long before I was back to 8/10 pints a night and being over a 100 days free now I cant face doing the trauma of a first day/week/month all over again.(Plus I'm afraid of what Byrdie would do to me.:H)
    It's funny, because I'm at a point in my sobriety now that I truly think I could accomplish moderation if I were to drink.....the problem is I don't want to drink, and I see no purpose in drinking alcohol at all.

Strange how that works, for years I wish I could moderate my drinking, now when I truly believe I could moderate I don't see a purpose in drinking?????

At least I'm happy now!

Comment

Supercrew;1461107 wrote: It's funny, because I'm at a point in my sobriety now that I truly think I could accomplish moderation if I were to drink.....the problem is I don't want to drink, and I see no purpose in drinking alcohol at all.

Strange how that works, for years I wish I could moderate my drinking, now when I truly believe I could moderate I don't see a purpose in drinking?????

At least I'm happy now!
      AHA! Exactamondo... Now, supercrew I am nowhere near where you are in your AF journey... but my wee hope is that if i work at this, and work at dealing with, eh, life... then actually the day will come where I go "a drink? sure... i could have a drink... but why would would I WANT to?... I'm more than happy the way I am, thank you very much."

Gotta long time till them though... getting there tho...

Comment

Thank you all for your posts. Strikes home for me and the timing is great.

Comment

patrice;1460578 wrote: Hi all,

I just wanted to relay my recent experience with moderation.

In some ways I have successfully moderated my drinking to acceptable ( ie within the recommended guidelines) levels over the past few months, however this journey has left me absolutely EXHAUSTED!! and now I think I know why

Abstinence means making one BIG choice and sticking to it but moderation means making many small choices which requires SO much mental energy. First I had to define what moderation meant to me then I had to constantly prevent myself from having ' just one more'.
          Reducing my dependence has involved making different choices at different times, sometimes saying Yes, but mostly having to say No. This has been totally exhausting.. However, quitting and abstinence means ONE decision, you always know what to do and if you stuff up only another ONE decision to get back on the horse, saving that precious mental energy which can then be directed to something else..

Just my little experience to add to the myriad here. I now choose complete abstinence and look forward expending my energy on other things

Take care all
          Patrice
          Bump For Rednose.
          :h
          :l
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

:yay: Patrice...you go girl!

Comment

Working...
            X