How to stay sober??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stay sober??

I have quit 50 times! I always manage to go 2 months or so without drinking.. But then I feel strong and healthy and think I can handle it.. Then in a week I wake up in Village in Siberia drinking moonshine! Then do it all over again.. Stop drinking, get mentally and physically strong (and get bored) grab a beer. What do you guys do to replace the social aspect of drinking and stay sober??

How to stay sober??

DimensionDrifter;1462137 wrote: I have quit 50 times! I always manage to go 2 months or so without drinking.. But then I feel strong and healthy and think I can handle it.. Then in a week I wake up in Village in Siberia drinking moonshine! Then do it all over again.. Stop drinking, get mentally and physically strong (and get bored) grab a beer. What do you guys do to replace the social aspect of drinking and stay sober??
    I sure can relate to getting bored. When I first got sober I was shocked at how many hours in a day that I had to fill with something. I looked around for ways that I could be useful to my community and thru doing that I'm slowly meeting new friends and building a happy sober life. It doesn't happen over night. It's a journey! I used baclofen to stop the compulsion to drink and antabuse as a safety net so I never can hurt myself that way again. :welcome:
    Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

How to stay sober??

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.. today is my first day.. so I cant even sleep... to toxic! So just lay awake in bed with the notebook. So its nice to chat with you. Every time I stop, I think why in the world do I want to do something that makes me feel so sick! This is the first time however that I decided to chat with others about it. I think just talking to people could take me a long way.

Comment

How to stay sober??

I feel the same way you do DD, I have as Hippyman says worked on finding other outlets. Currently one is getting healthy, when I am home I take my bicycle out for a ride every day that I can, go to the local park and ride and meet people or just to be around people. When I am traveling for work I have changed my hang out areas, changed who I hang out with.
        It is not easy but as everything I take it one day at a time.
        FT
        AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
        As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

How to stay sober??

No rest for the wicked!

Any tricks to fall asleep when detoxing? I need sleep so much, but just to toxic at the moment. (that's one of the things that gets me into drinking again) but tonight I will just suffer, and try to remember this feeling the next time I want to party. I must find new ways to change my habits and find some new social outlets. My business has taken me around the world, however it also keeps in constant contact with the party people! When I have been sober for awhile it's not so bad... I see what they do to themselves.. But just takes me a few beers to forget that and join in the mayhem!

Comment

How to stay sober??

DimensionDrifter;1462192 wrote: Any tricks to fall asleep when detoxing? I need sleep so much, but just to toxic at the moment. (that's one of the things that gets me into drinking again) but tonight I will just suffer, and try to remember this feeling the next time I want to party. I must find new ways to change my habits and find some new social outlets. My business has taken me around the world, however it also keeps in constant contact with the party people! When I have been sober for awhile it's not so bad... I see what they do to themselves.. But just takes me a few beers to forget that and join in the mayhem!
            :welcome: Exercise is a great way to release those old ways and start new habits! I used all kinds of OTC meds and herb teas Etc. to try to get to sleep but I think it's a pretty common problem that most of us had when we were detoxing. In time it will resolve itself! There are many different paths that are all leading to where we want to be. A place of peace where we can create a sober life. The links at the bottom of my post will take you to threads to help you get started and teach you new tools for living sober. Come on over to the Newbies nest. I look forward to getting to know you!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

How to stay sober??

link

Thanks again guys.. the link for newbies nest fails to load.. the other 2 links work.. just not that one. But I will find it and join you. Gonna be a long hard night! Usually takes me almost a week to get back to normal.

Comment

How to stay sober??

Hi DD - I have been using ZZ-Quil and it works pretty good. It helps me sleep through the night. It's basically just Benedryl. Welcome and good luck!
                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

How to stay sober??

sleep

zz-quil... did not know about this.. I will look into it... right now to sick to go out. If anyone knows any other ideas to fall asleep please post. I know I need to fall asleep to start healing.. but it just seems impossible right now.

Comment

How to stay sober??

melatonin is good. I always have some in the house. If you can't go out, order a big fat pizza. The carbs will soothe you for a while.

Comment

How to stay sober??

melatonin

Melatonin is excellent! Thanks for reminding me! I will get some whenever I can get out bed! Pizza would not stay down.. but I will get some salad tomorrow. I will need the Magnesium for sure! Right now just drinking hot water, trying to calm my system.

Comment

How to stay sober??

pizza n melatonin..

Well a pizza would not stay down right .. but melatonin is great! Thanks for reminding me.. I will get some whenever I can get out of bed! Right now just drinking hot water to try to calm down my system. I posted a reply to this earlier, but have no idea where it was posted? Its not on this thread anyway.

Comment

How to stay sober??

DimensionDrifter;1462228 wrote: Thanks again guys.. the link for newbies nest fails to load.. the other 2 links work.. just not that one. But I will find it and join you. Gonna be a long hard night! Usually takes me almost a week to get back to normal.
                          :thanks: I fixed the links so they all work now. There is lots of good advise on how to get and stay sober. Hope to see you over in the Newbies nest! :welcome:

Comment

How to stay sober??

Day 2 of horrifying detox!

Well only about 3 hours of toxic sleep last night.. Dreams and nightmares so vivid you lose your grip on which dimension is reality! I'm beat up! dehydrated ! no energy! but I'm one day closer to full recovery and getting strong again! Will try to get out of bed and eat a salad! but it will be a huge effort. Hope it stays down!

Comment

How to stay sober??

You must drink fluids to re-hydrate yourself today. Water or tea with lemon if you have it. And lots of good food, too. And if it doesn't stay down, that's OK, too. Let your body heal the way it needs to. Sometimes I feel better after getting sick anyway.

If you find yourself struggling to rest today and still feel too sick to go out, turn on some soothing music and try to do some deep breathing exercises. Breathe in and out as deeply and slowly as you can. You could also try some visualization exercises. I have a nice memory of hiking with my dogs and my best friend a couple of winters ago. It was snowing lightly. I try to picture that and it calms me down and makes me happy.
                              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X