Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update from Scandinavian :)

I am happily sober for about five weeks now, and all is going good

However I started getting alarmingly many questions about whether I had eaten garlic or if I had some decaying teeth. My dental hygiene is impeccable almost to the degree of obsessive compulsive, so I the only reason for this foul stench must be the Antabuse.

I cut my doses in half, and I am not getting as many remarks about smell, but that could be because all the people I interact with already have commented on it.

I take a zinc supplement and eat lots of gum and tic tacs, but the stench seems to come from the body and not only from the mouth.

(I of course brush, scrape, floss, wash and everything else.)

Any tips on how not to smell like a walking garlic farm? And how does this vile stank fluctuate with the dose of Antabus? E.i. can I expect it to be better now that I have cut my doses in half?

Quick update from Scandinavian

Holy Moly....I can't answer about the AB...
    When was the last time you had your teeth professionally cleaned? ( I trained as a dental hygienist). Just curious, you could have something going on that you can't 'get at' with your brush and floss. B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I go every year to the dentist, but to be sure I will schedule an extra appointment soon to rule it out 100%.

Garlic stanch is also listed as a side effect of Antabuse, so I am pretty sure that thats the source.

Comment

Ok, good...that's a new one on me, good luck, and well done on your AF time!!! xo, B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

THIS IS ALARMING

WOW! I take antabuse, 125 mg a couple pf times a week and have not encountered such a situation. I am a bit of a loner but I think I would know this, LOL

Comment

I saw on youtube that a good self-test for bad breath is to scrape a spoon over the tongue all the way from the back, and then let the scrape-off-mucus dry for a minute and smell it. Apparently if the spoon stinks so does the breath.

Comment

Working...
            X