A reeeeaaaally gross dog question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I have always been cat people, but we adopted a 10 year old miniature dachshund at the end of last summer. Lately, she seems to be sick a lot, and vomiting. Today, I figured out why (this is where the reeeeaaaally gross part comes in). She's eating poop (either her own or from the cats) when we let her outside to do her business. This is a recent development (within the past week). Is there anything we can do to discourage this behavior or is she just going to need constant supervision outside. I do my best to pick up after her, but she's only 8 pounds (little over 3.5kg) and her poops are so tiny sometimes I can't find them. But she's clearly finding them. K9 - any advice???

This is actually very common with Dachshunds.

There is a product you can buy that makes it taste disgusting or you can buy a collar that you set off when she goes to eat the poo and fires citronella or just air in their faces. You must be vigilant.

Some say it is a vitamin deficiency so you can supplement. Others think it is because their food is too rich and still has nutrients.

It is normal though....just gross to us.....these animals lick their own butts routinely so derrr :H

Comment

hi there - we have two dogs - one of them a rescue - and the one that isn't a rescue was eating the other one's poop - I found out that dogs food goes through them really quickly so to a dog it still smells like food (YUCK), so I have been giving my dog that doesn't eat the poop a tablet that makes HER poop taste bad (as if poop doesn't taste bad - LOL) which has solved the problem. As for your dog eating the cats poop - that one I can't sort for you - all dogs think cats poop is dessert!!! But if you go to the pet store and ask them they will tell you what to get - it is a natural herbal stuff that worked for us as far as Miss Tiggy Winkle eating the other dogs poop.

Hope this helps.......

Sun XXX
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

LOL - That is not a disgusting dog question - rest assured. All long-time dog owners have faced this at one time or another. I also always find it funny that there is a pill to "make dog poop taste disgusting". Dogs will eat any manner of poop - horse, goose, chicken, sheep, goat, human.

First of all, can you bring your cats inside? Otherwise cleaning up their poop will be challenging. :soapbox: Also, outdoor cats decimate the bird population :soapbox:

We had a dog that would literally eat the pop of our other dog as the other dog was pooping. So keeping the yard clean didn't work for us. We would watch them and when one would poop we'd cut the poop in half and apply Tabasco sauce, then patch it back together. Plastic knife and rubber gloves required. It eventually worked, especially since we watched them closely. Those PetTabs didn't work.
        Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

sunshinedaisies;1463986 wrote: hi there - we have two dogs - one of them a rescue - and the one that isn't a rescue was eating the other one's poop - I found out that dogs food goes through them really quickly so to a dog it still smells like food (YUCK), so I have been giving my dog that doesn't eat the poop a tablet that makes HER poop taste bad (as if poop doesn't taste bad - LOL) which has solved the problem. As for your dog eating the cats poop - that one I can't sort for you - all dogs think cats poop is dessert!!! But if you go to the pet store and ask them they will tell you what to get - it is a natural herbal stuff that worked for us as far as Miss Tiggy Winkle eating the other dogs poop.

Hope this helps.......

Sun XXX
          That's why they're called 'poop'sicles.
          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice so far. I edited my post - we actually adopted a senior dachshund that's 10 YEARS old, not a 10 month old puppy. Hot sauce is a great idea - I broke a cat of a chewing habit with Tabasco - but it's difficult to catch her in the act. I will look into the pills and collar.

Comment

Siren136;1463994 wrote: We had a dog that would literally eat the pop of our other dog as the other dog was pooping. So keeping the yard clean didn't work for us. We would watch them and when one would poop we'd cut the poop in half and apply Tabasco sauce, then patch it back together. Plastic knife and rubber gloves required. It eventually worked, especially since we watched them closely. Those PetTabs didn't work.
              :yukko:
              the things we do for our dogs :H

Comment

My beloved cocker spaniel (R.I.P. Charlie!) used to eat his own poop too. I just chalked it up to him not being the sharpest tool in the shed. Lol. Then I thought "Note to self: no more making out with Charlie!" Haha.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I had no idea dogs did that. And now I'm recalling all the times a dog's licked my face. And then there were the canines too............ )

Comment

I caught my dog yesterday trying to get to a pile of deer loop in my back yard, just out of reach from her rope. Maybe she just wanted to roll in it...
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                    X