Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I tell them??

:new: Hi folks,

I am hoping to follow the moderation route (just started) after reading the boards for a number of months. I am a heavy drinker (mostly alone at night) but also when out socially. I think someone may have posted a topic on reasons/excuses you give your friends for cutting down or not drinking but I cannot find it. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

What do I tell them??

HI swimmer, not sure if this is what you are referring to, but if you click on "new posts" you should see it come up in the list.

Glad you finally posted here. Look forward to getting to know you...:welcome:
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

What do I tell them??

Swimmer, there are any number of reasons that you could use. Some that I've seen/used in the past;

I'm in training;
      I'm on medication;
      I'm trying to get back into shape;
      I gave it up for lent;

There are a ton more - just find one that you feel comfortable with and use it. I'm to the point now where I just tell people I don't drink anymore - and no one seems to give it a second thought.

Good luck in your journey, and I'm sure some other MWO members will be along shortly with some other answers.
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

What do I tell them??

I'm proud to tell them that I'm not drinking, and the people that know me are happy forme.

Comment

What do I tell them??

I agree with swimmer, just tell them like it is....you do not drink anymore! That way you won't forget if you said something other than the truth!! Don't even give an explanation as to why. Its none of their business anyway! THat is what I am going to do!! I have a social party this saturday I may attend and these friends REALLY drink...so this is a test for me! I am telling them the truth "no thanks, I don't drink anymore...hope this helps!

Comment

What do I tell them??

When I first started drinking NA beer people would comment and sometimes still do, but now I consider the source and you know what how do they know whats good for you. Get tough in you head and remember only you can decide what you pour down your throat.

I works for me.
            Sammys

Comment

What do I tell them??

Many people know about my problem since I got into trouble at work. But I always just say "I don't drink anymore. It's much better for my health and I feel better." Then they usually see how much better I look now and I think many of them secretly wish to themselves that they had the strength to do the same thing. They'll never admit it out loud, but some friends and family may even be a bit jealous.
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

What do I tell them??

Its hard to say "I dont drink anymore - or I'm cutting down drinkin" until you have confidence in yourself that you are really gonna make it. Also if you say that then you are admiting that you have a drinking problem. Still may not be ready for that. So for me at the begining I went with the other excuses until I just plain like sayin the I'm not drinkin anymore thing.
                Now - I really enjoy sayin I dont drink, or I dont drink anymore and it is suprising how often I hear the same thing back.
                I think others are actually relieved that I dont want to drink and it takes the social pressure off them as well.

I have found out it really isnt as bad to be a non drinker as ya thought. lol
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

What do I tell them??

but swimmer......what I also found out it that it is WAY hard to moderate around the old crowd. Be careful not to set yourself for the hard falls in being around that enviroment. Its very hard to moderate if you are a heavy drinker.
                  Gabby :flower:

Comment

What do I tell them??

Hi Swimmer - You don’t need excuses, I was once told on this site that the only one that needs to know that you are drinking soda is the barman, as long as you have something in your had nobody that is nobody will care. Until you are ready to say something don't - the only reason I wanted to say something was that I was obsessed with it not them.
                    Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

What do I tell them??

Found this in my in box today and thought it was some more "food for thought.

:h Nancy

?You No My Friend!?
                      - Part 2
                      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
                      X