clinical trials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clinical trials?

:new: i wondering if anybody here ever tried any of the clinical trials out there on drinking i was looking around on the web last nite looking and found a few i sent for info but have heard anything yet
    http://localhost/gimport/cache/avatars/aude sapere "have the corage to gain to insight"

clinical trials?

Wot do you mean Mike??? Is it going into some sort of study or something if you are an alcoholic to test meds or something?? I didn't realise that you could offer yourself up for that sort of thing...I just thought they may have asked for volunteers for people in rehab or whatever...

Weeintriguedmelon

Comment

clinical trials?

Yeah Wee-

Some states offer thru a hospital a study offering medication or other things if for example you are a problem drinker. Sometimes you may get reimbursement. I did this yrs ago when I first knew I had a problem & would never do it again.

I was asked a gazillion questions every visit and told to come 2x a week for 1 month (then 1x a mnth for another mnth) to meet with a nurse (blood work)followed by an appt with a substance councelor who couldn't find his way out of a paper bag. He was useless. I cried my feelings to him-he handed me tissues. Useless. During this time they had me taking these pills they thought would be usefull for combating alcoholism. I would not be told until the clinical trial would be over whether or not I had a placebo, regular dose or low dose. They wanted to see that if this drug & counceling would decrease alcoholic drinking.

My drinking did subside because I did want to quit-but the drug really had nothing to do with it-the DR even said it (I had 2 physicals-beginning & end). Come to find out I had a low dose w/placebo. So inactuality I did it on my own. I can't remember the name of the drug (it's been something like 9? yrs ago) but I do remember coming across it one time & finding out that it harms the liver! Thank goodness I did't take it long & had a placebo & low dose!

But don't let my story steer you away-this was yrs ago. I did submit my DNA at the end for $190 US Good luck
      :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

clinical trials?

well i sent for sme info and i'll let everyone know ho it turns out
        http://localhost/gimport/cache/avatars/aude sapere "have the corage to gain to insight"

Comment

clinical trials?

Mike,
          I participated in a clinical trial testing out topiramate. Go onto the meds board and you will see my post under "My story with Topa". Actually, my experience was great, they were respectful of my time, although I had to fill out a lot of forms and also get blood work. They were kind to me and I was lucky because I didn't get the placebo. After I took the first pill I knew I had the real thing. You can always drop out if it doesn't work for you. For me, I was off of alcohol within a couple of months.

You can go onto clinicaltrials.gov to search for trials involving alcoholism and alcohol dependence and search by location too.

A

Comment

Working...
          X