FlyAway has One Year AF!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONGRATULATIONS FLY!!! YOU ARE A WONDERFUL SUPPORT AS WE GO THRU THIS JOURNEY! THANK YOU FOR SHOWING US THE WAY TO DO IT!!

:kudos: :groupluv: :groupluv: :groupluv: :kudos:
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

YAY, YAY FOR FLYAWAY

Well done my dear, always a pleasure to read your posts

Comment

Congratulations Flyaway!

That is maaaagnificent.

Bravo friend!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wow, a whole year into your new life! Ain't real life grand???
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

YOU GO FLYAWAY!

WAY TO GO !!!

Comment

FlyAway - That is Awesome! Congratulations!!

You always have something helpful/caring/useful/wise to say in your posts, it's a pleasure to 'know' you.

:happy::wd::happy::wd::happy:
            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Congratulations FlyAway!! Absolutely brilliant!!

Comment

Wow!!! I hope you will accept these on behalf of the Newbie's Nest: :grannypants: Your Big Girl Pants!!! Wear them loud and proud!!! Well done!
                Would you have a few words for us about what you've learned?

Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Congrats, Flyaway! That is fantastic news!

What is the most important thing you learned in your quest for AF? Would you share, please?

I, too, always look forward to your posts. I know I'll read something worthwhile. Thanks.
                  "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

My sear sweet friend...WELL DONE!!
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

YAY for you! :kudos:

:lilangel: :lilangel: SOARING...Fly, Fly up and Away! What a wonderful accomplishment...take us with you!?! So thankful for your wisdom and support. All the Best! P

:wave:
                      "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Congratulations!!

Very well done Fly!
                        Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and for being here for me during my journey! I've had guests at my house the last few days and haven't had as much time to get here, but this is usually my first stop in the morning.

Byrdie asked what have I learned.

I haven't publicly mentioned it on the board, but my mother died the day before Thanksgiving this past year. She had severe dementia. Her death was a journey that took 4 years.

In September of 2008 she had to have emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. At the time she had mild dementia, but still lived on her own, drove a car, and had a job even though she was 80. The surgery was the beginning of the end. It sped up the progression of the dementia incredibly. She rallied and failed numerous times and we tried to take care of her; actually did for 2 years until she was hallucinating and thinking we were plotting against her. She fell several times and eventually broke her pelvis. After that we couldn't take care of her anymore. She could no longer walk and we couldn't lift her. We had to move her to a nursing home where she could get around the clock care.

The day of her emergency surgery I came home after a full day at the hospital, opened up a bottle, and clearly remember telling my husband, "I deserve this after today!" I had been sober for a few weeks before that day, concerned that I was drinking too much. Every once in a while I'd get concerned about my drinking and so I'd stop for a month or two to prove to myself that I didn't have a problem. We all know how that goes. I kept right on drinking through until the summer of 2011 justifying my drinking by my stressful job, my pregnant daughter, my ailing mother. I joined MWO in July of 2011 when it had become abundantly apparent to me that yes, I did have a problem and started to try to get sober. A year ago it finally clicked.

On Monday November 19th we got a call from the home. Mom wasn't eating or drinking anything and was unresponsive. It was like she was comatose. I left work and went to her side. I was there all day until about 10pm. I held her hand and rubbed her head and shoulders and talked to her. Went back Tuesday and did the same. Wednesday I walked in bright and early and she had just passed away. The staff didn't even know. Her body was still warm. I held her and cried and kissed her goodbye. I called my sister and told her. The family came to say their goodbyes. We did what you do when someone passes. We had to clear out her room and make funeral arrangements. I finally got back to my house at around 8pm that night. I walked in the door and thought, Thank God I was sober. Thank God I was able to be fully present for her final days. Thank God I was able to hold her and love her and support my entire family and the visitors who came. And I remember thinking how ironic that just a few years before this would have given me an excuse to drink. A few years before I would have gone home, opened and bottle, and proclaimed, "I deserve this!"

Sobriety has been a huge blessing in my life. It has made me able to be present and alive and responsible. What I have learned is that I deserve this.

Comment

Lovely post. BIG congratulations Fly !
                            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Thank you for that Fly. It really hit home with me. :h
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                              X