Strange after effects when being AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a beer drinker, and as such could easily drink 20 small cans of beer on a normal day. Sometimes 30.

So I think my brain has become addicted to the "reward"-hormones or whatever thats released when drinking or eating something that the body think is good. I have drink crazy much bottle water (the kind with bubbles and a taste of lemon etc.) and coffee.

Of course this if 100% better than drinking beer, I just was a little shocked when I looked in my kitchen and saw how many bottles of water I had drunk in a very short period of time.

I take a vitamin/mineral pill every day of course to replenish the electrolytes i potentially loose from all that water going trough my body.

Anyone else drink crazy much water or other non alcoholic beverages after going AF?

(Its also some Freudian thing probably related to not being able to let go of the "safety and comfort" associated with being breast fed as babies and the craving infants feel towards drinking as a means to get nutritions into the body. I sometimes, embarrasingly, catch myself not pouring water into my mouth, but rather sucking it in )

Hi Scandanavian.

I drink gallons of water and tea, coffee all day! I have always drunk lots of fluids my mum said I did from a very small child, maybe this was the start of my addictive ways?
    I would say you are doing good to drink plenty of fluids, it will probably ease off as you get used to being AF. I think it's common to replace one habit or addictive habit with another.
    Stick to the water and stay away from the beer and you will be doing great.
    AF since 2nd Oct 2012
    Day by day

Comment

Good to see you again Scandinavian!

I drink 100 oz. of water every day at work, then more at the gym, then more at home. I wouldn't worry about the amount of non-alcoholic liquids you are drinking.

Have you been AF for a while now?
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I've noticed my intake of coffee has really increased since quitting.

Also been voluntarily increasing my water intake and can't get enough of soda water and lime when I'm out n about. Never used to drink that before I quit, but really crave it now at times I would say - defo a much healthier craving than vino tho

Comment

At this moment I am sitting next to an empty brits water pitcher that I have been pounding since this morning. 2 gallons so far since 6am. I'm floating!!
          Day 1 again 11/5/19
          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Wait, I think they are half gallons. But still...
            Day 1 again 11/5/19
            Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
            Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
            Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
            11/27/19: messed up but back on track
            12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

K9: Good to see you too! How is your AF life going? And I have no idea how much 100oz is, but it sounds like a lot

I've been sober for more than two months and have not had a single drink. (Thanks to the Antabuse).

It really feels great. For example after a good breakfast I get a feeling of well-being, and not the mildly sickening feeling I used to get when drinking.

My work is very taxing these days, and if I had alcohol to work with also I think I would have had to change jobs.

Anyway good luck to all of you!

Comment

Hi Scand!

I am so proud of you, and I'm glad the Antabuse is working...I STILL use it and have no plans to quit.

AF life is great, isn't it?

Comment

I eat 10lbs. of ice a day...go figure??? It keeps my mouth busy and my Dentist LOVES me!!!
                  Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Yes, I drink copious amounts of liquid, whatever it is, I can really put it away. Just keep drinking that water.......its WD40 for the body
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Nelz;1469106 wrote: Yes, I drink copious amounts of liquid, whatever it is, I can really put it away. Just keep drinking that water.......its WD40 for the body
                      Then why are my joints still squeaky? LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X