Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binge Drinkers

Hello everyone

I am wondering if there may be others who have a similar issue that I do with respect to drinking. I don't drink daily (never have) and I rarely have alcohol at my house. I drink socially, however, but once I start drinking I can't stop until I am forced to (which often means bar hopping -- and often on my own until the bar closes or I am kicked out). It never goes on for days. The problem is that I think it is dangerous on so many levels, and I turn into someone I don't like. I didn't drink for 9 years because of this and now I wished I hadn't started again.

Does anyone else share a similar experience?

Thaniks.

Binge Drinkers

ljeanner;1468573 wrote: Hello everyone

I am wondering if there may be others who have a similar issue that I do with respect to drinking. I don't drink daily (never have) and I rarely have alcohol at my house. I drink socially, however, but once I start drinking I can't stop until I am forced to (which often means bar hopping -- and often on my own until the bar closes or I am kicked out). It never goes on for days. The problem is that I think it is dangerous on so many levels, and I turn into someone I don't like. I didn't drink for 9 years because of this and now I wished I hadn't started again.

Does anyone else share a similar experience?

Thaniks.
    Welcome to the club! OH YES, I'm the same way, however I can go on for days! People like us obviously have a problem with (the switch) the changes that take place in your mind when alcohol is introduced.. In people like us, the mind continues to demand more! So we drink until we drop!

Comment

Binge Drinkers

DimensionDrifter;1468577 wrote: Welcome to the club! OH YES, I'm the same way, however I can go on for days! People like us obviously have a problem with (the switch) the changes that take place in your mind when alcohol is introduced.. In people like us, the mind continues to demand more! So we drink until we drop!
      Thank you for answering. I suddenly feel a sense of great relief that someone gets it. The switch. Yes. Yes. Yes. That is it. Once I start to drink I literally won't stop until I drop. And it does feel like a switch goes on in my brain after I take a few sips.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

I was a binge drinker, couldn't stop easily sometimes, didn't drink every day. I wondered what made me different, but now I'm done. It doesn't matter to me any more. Drinking was a problem in my life, so now I don't drink.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Sunbeam;1468582 wrote: I was a binge drinker, couldn't stop easily sometimes, didn't drink every day. I wondered what made me different, but now I'm done. It doesn't matter to me any more. Drinking was a problem in my life, so now I don't drink.
          Thanks Sunbeam.Yes, I quit drinking for 9 years and then started again thinking I could be a moderate drinker. But I don't believe I can.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Drink Water and Eat!

ljeanner;1468581 wrote: Thank you for answering. I suddenly feel a sense of great relief that someone gets it. The switch. Yes. Yes. Yes. That is it. Once I start to drink I literally won't stop until I drop. And it does feel like a switch goes on in my brain after I take a few sips.
            Better not to drink at all! However if your going to no matter what, you can try to avoid having the (The switch) turned on, by drinking a glass of water between every drink.. This way your tummy is being filled up with something that actually hydrates the brain. Also eat while you drink.. The more you fill your tummy with (good things) the less room you have for the bad!

Comment

Binge Drinkers

I was pretty successful at moderate drinking for around three years, but I quit because I was tired of the struggle. I was still sometimes drinking too much, not as often. I am relieved and grateful to be done for good. The thought of having a drink still floats through my mind sometimes, but I KNOW I will drink a whole bottle. I have no desire to do that any more.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

DimensionDrifter;1468585 wrote: Better not to drink at all! However if your going to no matter what, you can try to avoid having the (The switch) turned on, by drinking a glass of water between every drink.. This way your tummy is being filled up with something that actually hydrates the brain. Also eat while you drink.. The more you fill your tummy with (good things) the less room you have for the bad!
                I am beginning to think it is just better for me to not drink at all. I have tried all those, but the need to keep drinking and get that buzz seems to be much bigger than my ability to reign it in using food or water. And then I have to deal with the remorse. Hangovers. Things I have said or done.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Yes, I sometimes used strategies like eating and drinking, but I sometimes still drank too much. I am happier not drinking.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Me too, start and can't stop but unfortunately mine will be a 3 day binge!! Lots of help here for you xx
                    AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                    Day by day

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Yes, all of you have helped me already, by showing me that I am not crazy. It is something I have struggled with before thinking I don't have a drinking problem because I didn't drink everyday. But indeed I do because once I start drinking I can't stop. Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. Very helpful to hear from others who have had a similar experience with AL.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Welcome!
                        Oh yes, I know the feeling of not being able to stop...most of us here do. For me, no alcohol is way easier than trying to moderate. I'd rather have none than agonize over each drink or measure what I'm having. I was able to quit when not drinking became easier than drinking.
                        Please stick close to us...we're glad you're here!
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

I have tried many times to moderate.But for me it never works. Once I have a glass, it becomes a bottle or two of wine until I drop! Most of us can,t stop............we are alcoholics! Good Luck with your journey and welcome.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Thank you K9 and Boozer. Bingeing sucks! And I am horrified that I have no control. Have always chalked up to bad character, but it's probably just my brain chemistry and it's time for me to accept that.

Comment

Binge Drinkers

Yes, I call it alkie brain. Several posts here have mentioned that we have permanantly damaged our brains through our bad habits.

Come join us on the Step at a Time thread, if you like. We are people who have been around awhile, some still working toward AF freedom.

Comment

Working...
                              X